Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Renting in Macandrew Bay

Renting in Macandrew Bay

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

MikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really nice
Default Renting in Macandrew Bay

Hi all,

Having secured a job in Dunedin, start mid January have decided that Macandrew Bay is the starting place for us! Have been in contact with the school for the kids looks good, nice beach etc. Need a place to rent initally, have been unable to find any agencies on the web, does anyone have any pointers about where we should start looking!! Any info about Macandrew bay would be much appreciated.

Have packed all our stuff, rented our house here, fixed up the visa!! All becoming very real!!! We (husband and 3 kids) are bouncing from extreme excitment to increased anxiety.

Thanks for all the help x
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:14 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Macandrew Bay

Hey, great news. MacAndrew Bay is very nice.

www.metrorealty.co.nz
www.edinburghrealty.co.nz
www.odt.co.nz is the local paper that has flats to rent on Wednesdays and Saturdays, but perhaps only in the print edition.
www.trademe.co.nz

All the best.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:24 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll move this to the main forum for you.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeandMon View Post
Hi all,

Having secured a job in Dunedin, start mid January have decided that Macandrew Bay is the starting place for us! Have been in contact with the school for the kids looks good, nice beach etc. Need a place to rent initally, have been unable to find any agencies on the web, does anyone have any pointers about where we should start looking!! Any info about Macandrew bay would be much appreciated.

Have packed all our stuff, rented our house here, fixed up the visa!! All becoming very real!!! We (husband and 3 kids) are bouncing from extreme excitment to increased anxiety.

Hey!

We arrived here on Monday and have just got the children into school at Mac Bay and they are very happy already.

We are struggling to find properties for sale in Mac bay and they dont hang around for long when they do come up (already missed out on one this week).

Best of luck and may see you here soon!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

My kids went to macbay school for the last 5 years, we are currently back in the UK. It is a very nice friendly school.
Have a look on www.trademe.co.nz

or try some of the local agents, at Hookers you should try and get hold of Neville Watson, or maybe get in touch with Anne Jamieson at Southern Wide Real Estate.
I could probably get someine to look in the local shop window for you as this is where a lot of houses are advetised
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

MikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really niceMikeandMon is just really nice

Hi all,

Thanks for the great response, has been really helpful and definately reassuring. Has confirmed that Macandrew Bay is the place for us and the kids should be fine at the school. Will try and contact the relevant people and if you could arrange for anyone to look in the shop window for any places, that would be amazing.

Thanks again.
Mon
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

If you drop me a line with an email address I will sort it out for you
Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:58 am
Just Joined

tracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to all
Question Re: Renting in Macandrew Bay

Hi, we are hoping to move to Dunedin mid-january, have both got jobs offers, hopefully just awaiting visa confirmation. We are thinking about Macandrew Bay aswell, renting initially. We have a boy (9) who may go to the primary at Macandrew Bay, and a girl (14) - who will probably go to 'Bayfield' High School, which I believe takes from Macandrew, and I have been recommended this school.

We will hopefully find somewhere to rent when we get there, but it sounds as if there are not many rentals available?

Does anyone know if it is worth taking UK TV's - recently purchased digital, does anyone know if they will work out in NZ?
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 2:21 am
Just Joined

scubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Renting in Macandrew Bay

Hi - it is not worth shipping UK TV's. The tuner will not pick up the local signal, to use it you have to go through a freeview box to an AV. Also difficult to ship. We have been here 5 years having moved from Oxford, we are just selling up to go back to Oxford. There is a serious work shortage for me in NZ with very poor pay and conditions (I'm a research scientist from Oxford Uni).
We are selling one of the very few English style, clean, dry, central heated houses in Dunedin. Also selling the 5 acre section. A lot of the locals don't appreciate the benefits of hot radiators!
Feel free to have a look: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=325599088

Hope the move goes well.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 6:43 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
Hi - it is not worth shipping UK TV's. The tuner will not pick up the local signal, to use it you have to go through a freeview box to an AV. Also difficult to ship. We have been here 5 years having moved from Oxford, we are just selling up to go back to Oxford. There is a serious work shortage for me in NZ with very poor pay and conditions (I'm a research scientist from Oxford Uni).
We are selling one of the very few English style, clean, dry, central heated houses in Dunedin. Also selling the 5 acre section. A lot of the locals don't appreciate the benefits of hot radiators!
Feel free to have a look: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=325599088

Hope the move goes well.
Actually many newer TVs do work in NZ and I would advise checking some of the other TV threads on this forum - search for PAL B. In any case, you'll probably end up with sky or freeview, or perhaps your dvd player will have the right tuner (or buy a new cheap dvd player anyway) so unless you are over your TV and looking to upgrade I'd recommend bringing it and trying it out.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

JoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,

Hi we currently live in Macandrew Bay and it is a great place to live. It takes about 10 minutes to drive into town along Portabello Road. There are a few local shops and a great cafe overlooking the beach. Check out www.macandrewbay.co.nz which includes links to local businesses, gives a bit of background to the area and lists activities etc. I believe the local school is quite good although my two children (5 and 6) go to St Brigids School in Anderson's Bay. In terms of rental properties there are not many available but I will pop down to the local shop and see if there is anything going and I will get back to you. If you want to know anything else let me know :-) Best of luck with the move.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for all that, we very nearly enrolled our kids at St Bridgids, but went for Macandrew bay school as it was walkable, was there any reason in particular why you went for st brigids?
Thanks for looking in the shop most helpful.

Take Care
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

JoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the rough

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for all that, we very nearly enrolled our kids at St Bridgids, but went for Macandrew bay school as it was walkable, was there any reason in particular why you went for st brigids?
Thanks for looking in the shop most helpful.

Take Care
Hi Mike and Mon

I had a quick look last night down at the shop and unfortunately there are no ads for rental properties within MacBay. It is probably worth keeping an eye on this website as it lists properties to buy and rent www.realestate.co.nz. Dont worry one way or the other things will fall into place for you when you get here :-)

In terms of schools, we wanted our kids to go to catholic school and St Brigids ticked all the boxes for us and thankfully the kids love it. Both kids did go to the day care beside the school (which is good) and some of their friends from there have gone on to Macandrew Bay school.

Anyway happy to help with anything else as I know it can be daunting moving to the other side of the world with children
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:05 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Little Britain

If you are looking for little Britain, then Mac Bay is the North Shore of the south island More Brits there than any where elsein Dunners. But still a great place to live.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fooferfish View Post
Little Britain

If you are looking for little Britain, then Mac Bay is the North Shore of the south island More Brits there than any where elsein Dunners. But still a great place to live.
You obviously havent been to "Pommybello"