Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Renting homes and problems

Renting homes and problems

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Renting homes and problems

...just wanted an opinion on here, as I cannot seem to find tenants rights (again) for NZ.
I know that in the UK as a tenant you have quite a lot of rights but here not so sure.
Cut to the chase....we have a very leaky home, that has been found to have mould and quite nasty spores. There has been quite a bit of work that has had to be done on the property, which has been annoying as I have had to be the one taking time from work, letting them in and cleaning up after them. Also, we had to run a dehumidifier solidly for 5 days (which we don't have because they are pricey to run). We have not really been offered anything from our landlady as form of compensation, and is reluctant to pay part of our gas and electric bill for the dehumidifier.

I have lived in rented accomodation in the UK and have been in a situation where we had to have builders in. The landlord was fantastic, and gave us cut rates on our rent for our inconvenience.

Do tenants have any rights in these circumstances in NZ? We are moving out (as this is not the reason why we rent!!) this week, and I just want to get on with our next property. However, I am a little annoyed at our landlady at present (as yet again builders have turned up un announced at our house), and there has been no real apology.

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:41 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting homes and problems

As an NZ landlord myself, it sounds like you have not been treated as well as you should expect. The place to go for information is here:

http://www.dbh.govt.nz/tenancy-index

The problem solving section should assist. However, as you are moving out it does sound to me like it is too late for any real action, as I imagine your rent is pre-paid? Ultimately, witholding rent is the only 'real' course of action that can motivate a landlord to action (which it sounds like your landlord has been trying to take, what with the builders etc). In my experience it is all about communication - have you asked your landlord for a reduction, or a refund?

Maybe this web site will help with future rentals - forewardned is forearmed!

Good luck with the move.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you so much for this information.

No to be honest, we haven't asked the landlord for any reduction (apart for payment of our gas/electric bill for the dehumidifier). I am guessing this will be a learning process, and we should be armed for any future issue should it arise.

Very annoying for us as tenants, although I do appreciate her situation is not great either (as basically the house is falling down )

Thanks again!!!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZBee
Very annoying for us as tenants, although I do appreciate her situation is not great either (as basically the house is falling down )
Thanks again!!!
...as are many many others in NZ