Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RentinG first property in NZ

RentinG first property in NZ

Old Feb 15th 2015, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Chel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RentinG first property in NZ

hi all, this weeks task is to try and secure a house rental in auckland. I've contacted 2 agencies so far, the first says we need 2 references each, nz driving licence or nz passport and to pass a credit check. The second has suggested I'll need to find a guarantor in order to rent

Surely this can't be right?

I've done a quick search of the boards and can find no reference to anything like this.

So far I gave my offer letter, signed contract, ukpassport with visa in it (or will have that tomorrow anyway lol). I have asked last 2 landlords for references. But they're telling me this isn't enough

Are all agencies like this?
Old Feb 15th 2015, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RentinG first property in NZ

No
Try doing it yourself through trade me.
All real estate offices of all real estate companies
will have a rental person, go directly through them
rather than faffing about with anyone else.
You will need refs but there are ways round it.
I had never rented in my life until I moved to NZ
so couldnt provide any and I had no problems.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Chel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond repute

These are through trade me and real estate .co.nz. Most seem to be listed by a property mgmt type co, and it's the first two I've contacted that have told me this. Apparently I'm looking to rent in the busiest part of the year?
Old Feb 17th 2015, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

No, most estate agents are not like this. Firstly, you should decide on the area you want to live in and then go to the local ones. Also, read the local papers to see if there is anything in there you like. I would recommend that you only take a short-term contract which means you only give three weeks' notice if you decide to move on. We've always done this and it has worked out fine. Generally, the only stipulation is that you cannot have a dog on rental property - which is fair enough.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 7:26 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

please please make sure you read any contracts. a few people have been caught out with wanting to leave/leaving before the end of the contract and despite finding new tenants have had to still pay up to the contracted end date.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Auckland is meant to be pretty horrific at the minute so it doesn't surprise me too much. WHat areas are you looking in?
Old Feb 18th 2015, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

I've been looking at north shore. Specifically albany but also browns bay and Rothesay bay
Old Feb 18th 2015, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

I had hoped to sign a 3-6 month lease before flying out. Work have said they'd go look at places on my behalf, and it would mean I could sort school out as well as ship my stuff. But it's looking as though that's not going to happen. They don't seem to like dealing with people on email rather than phone/face to face!
Old Feb 18th 2015, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Yeah. no one wanted to talk to us until we arrived in auckland. places go so quickly so want u arrive start looking. won't take too llong plus you want to see the places
Old Feb 18th 2015, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Chocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really nice

This is a really busy part of the year because students are looking although not sure many of them would be looking in the areas you mentioned. My OH had to provide a work reference and copy of passport. Think that was it. All after we arrived though, none of the estate agents were interested before then.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

Hi ,
We have been in NZ coming up to 2 years. No-one would entertain us before came out as properties particulary on the North Shore get snappped up pretty quickly in the popular areas like areas you are looking. In the end we rented a holiday through book a bach for 6 weeks until we got here then we were in a better position to get rental plus we then has our first reference which we got off book a bach agent.
Also not sure how old your children are but hope youve done your homework on the schools although there are some pretty decent schools on the North Shore but almost all of them are zoned. When we arrived in Browns Bay I was hoping to get my daughter in Browns Bay primary school but we were just out of the zone by about 10 houses on Beach Road.

Good luck!!