British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Renting with dogs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/renting-dogs-646618/)

Calcanat Dec 30th 2009 9:58 am

Renting with dogs

We still have a way to go with the immigration process:fingerscrossed:
But, we are looking ahead and thinking about where we will live when we arrive.

We are planning to move to Palmerston North and we'll be bringing our dogs with us. Can anyone offer any advice to us on how to find a rental property which will allow pets? We've been reading about the difficulties of getting a rental that will allow dogs and there seems to be a 'no pets' clause as standard in most of the ads we've seen online. Is this ever negotiable?

We have been considering other options, such as trying to buy as soon as we get out there but from what we can see, most people advise against buying within the first 6-12 months.

forshy Dec 30th 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Renting with dogs

Hi we sound in the same boat :)

we are hoping to move over in march together with our 2yr old dalmatian - I have been advised that although people say no dogs if you approach them personally are show that your not the tenants from hell then alot of individuals are ok with this:D

we are fortunate as we are staying with friends for the first two weeks but within that time we too need to make plans re buy or rent as rentals in the north shore are quite expensive.

good luck!
alison:fingerscrossed:

lindsay loo Dec 30th 2009 4:30 pm

Hi

I know some people have offered to pay double the bond, incase of any damage, and that seems to work.

Some of the estate agents who do rentals seem to know who might take pets, so its worth asking and specifying your needs.

We are renting in Auckland with 2 dogs, and found our rental on trade me, which said pets allowed.

Best wishes, Lindsay

Jan n Neil Dec 30th 2009 6:25 pm

Renting with one dog seems not to difficult, two are more is trickier but doable. We paid a bigger bond and rented in a rural area, where landlords are much less bothered as the dogs live outside more.

Newfies Dec 30th 2009 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8206817)
Renting with one dog seems not to difficult, two are more is trickier but doable. We paid a bigger bond and rented in a rural area, where landlords are much less bothered as the dogs live outside more.

I did the same though I only paid normal bond our 3 dogs lived outside and the owners were fine with them. They even let me alter the garden to accomodate a kennel unit for them which I did not have to rectify prior to leaving.

Just approach and state you needs to agents they will do everything they can to assist at the end of the day they need their rentals filled to get their money so its in their interest to be helpful!

Good luck

Calcanat Jan 1st 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks for the advice & happy new year :D

Calcanat Jan 1st 2010 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by forshy (Post 8206352)
Hi we sound in the same boat :)

we are hoping to move over in march together with our 2yr old dalmatian - I have been advised that although people say no dogs if you approach them personally are show that your not the tenants from hell then alot of individuals are ok with this:D

we are fortunate as we are staying with friends for the first two weeks but within that time we too need to make plans re buy or rent as rentals in the north shore are quite expensive.

good luck!
alison:fingerscrossed:

Hi Alison
I will probably go over a few weeks before the dogs fly out with OH to try and find somewhere.
Best of luck to you for your move in March (I hope we are not too far behind you!) and all the best for the new year :thumbsup:

kiwinow Jan 3rd 2010 1:13 am

The living out doors thing may not necessarily be an issue either. Our dog sleeps inside and is inside when we are home, but what is often important to landlords is that the dog is not in the house alone all day. Kiwis find this unnatural even for show dogs :D The landlord is concerned that the dog will destroy the house, make the house smell doggy, scratch the paint, dig up the garden and bark so much it annoys the neighbours. If you can reassure them on this front you can probably get in. I think half the time it's how you come across. If they like you they might make allowances. We have even negotiated taking our pet on holiday when the rental said "No dogs allowed". We just pointed out that he's one small dog who sleeps on our bed at night, doesn't shed, and will be outside with us all day.

A fair number of people say "pets negotiable" though, so you should find something. As someone else said, often rural places are less picky.

anniiee Jan 4th 2010 8:05 pm

Hi,

We had no problem, the estate agents weren't too helpful but when we approached owners direct and offered to pay an extra bond they were more than happy.
Our dog lives inside with us.

Good Luck with the move and finding somewhere suitable.