British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Renting with a dog! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/renting-dog-771375/)

LittleMonkey Sep 12th 2012 12:20 pm

Renting with a dog!

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if people who have rented or tried to rent with a dog could share their experiences. My husband and I will be leaving the UK on 8th Oct and arriving in Auckland on 10th (OH birthday!). We're looking at North Shore City as I'll be working in Albany. Max, our lab, will be joining us in December. We have accomodation booked in a hotel for the first 2 weeks so will be looking for somewhere to rent in that time...although Max is not joining us until December ideally we would like to find somewhere that will allow him too from the start...rather than find someone for 8 to 10 weeks then have to move again (esp. since our ship freight would be arriving around the same time!!).

I have read on other threads people have had difficulties renting with a dog. We are going to take pics of our current house to show he had caused no damage, we have exerts from his training book (he was prior to his retirement a drugs dog, so very well trained) and a reference from someone who has previously looked after him at their home...

If any one has any experience/advice/a house they would be happy to rent us on the North Shore :p, we'd love to hear from you!!

hazeandsteve Sep 12th 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Renting with a dog!

References.....marvellous!:rofl:
My sister in law had no hassles once he spoke to the landlord rather than the letting agent.

LittleMonkey Sep 12th 2012 7:50 pm

I know, one thing I'd never thought I'd be asking people for - references for jobs - yes, reference for my dog, no!

Spacecake799 Sep 12th 2012 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by LittleMonkey (Post 10277734)
I know, one thing I'd never thought I'd be asking people for - references for jobs - yes, reference for my dog, no!

I would say it will cut down anything you can rent in this area to virtually nothing.
Your best bet when you arrive is look at rentals, view then mention the dog. It really will come down to you had to rent that house because it was the only one that would allow a dog.
Good Luck

BEVS Sep 12th 2012 9:59 pm

We came with 2 cats . For some reason some landlords thought their house would be reduced to matchsticks by the cats scratching. Mentals !

Many dogs here don't seem to be allowed that much in a house and have an outside kennel to sleep in. Might pay to state that your UK dog sleeps outside. You can also offer to have the carpets professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy + offer a larger bond than is usually required.

Having the training record;references and a sorta CV of your dog could help.

Maybe have a chat with this website & see what they suggest.

You could also look for a long term holiday home which is pet friendly rather than a rental

LittleMonkey Sep 12th 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks for the advice. Not sure we'd be happy with Max sleeping outside as he's always been inside...we have been looking and seen some that say pets neg.

Yes were thinking maybe a larger bond and professional cleaning...keep your fingers crossed...otherwise we may end up in our tent when it arrives!!

LittleMonkey Sep 12th 2012 10:13 pm

just had a quick look at the holiday rentals - there rates are quite a bit out of our price range unfortunately :-(

Jan n Neil Sep 13th 2012 9:29 am

We managed to rent with three dogs (rural) and know someone who rented with two dogs, in the city. It is possible :thumbsup:

Jan

mazandben Sep 13th 2012 10:49 am

I took my dog into meet the people who worked a 2 letting agencies when we were in Queenstown (after a very long walk so he was bushed!!!). They fell in love with him (he is v cute) and said if we were interested in any properties listed with no pets allowed they would have a chat with the owner. I think the more you can do to help yourself the better and I would recommend calling in person than on the phone and asking questions and suggest you bring the dog in if you see something suitable. Good luck:)

LittleMonkey Sep 13th 2012 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by mazandben (Post 10278827)
I took my dog into meet the people who worked a 2 letting agencies when we were in Queenstown (after a very long walk so he was bushed!!!). They fell in love with him (he is v cute) and said if we were interested in any properties listed with no pets allowed they would have a chat with the owner. I think the more you can do to help yourself the better and I would recommend calling in person than on the phone and asking questions and suggest you bring the dog in if you see something suitable. Good luck:)

That's good to hear! The only problem we'd have is we won't have him in New Zealand when we'll be looking as he's only arriving in Dec and we are arriving in Oct! We'll have picks of him though. We could defo go and speak to agents in person though as I think they would get more of a feel for you than on the phone. We're happy to be flexible on where we live as long as house is reasonable standard.

All feels a bit sad about it all :( as having a lot of pressure to just leave him in UK, but don't think I could do it - unless vet advised against it or something like that...

maisiep Sep 13th 2012 11:23 pm

you might have more luck dealing with landlords directly rather than agents. Check out tradme.co.nz for private rentals. We had a tough time finding somewhere that would take our two cats when we looked through agents, but the first private landlord we approached was absolutely fine about it, and that was from an ad that didn't even state 'pets negotiable'. So, I think the key is to look at properties and ask, rather than making the pets thing an issue up front. I've found a lot of people quite dog-ist in NZ compared to the UK, but I'm sure you'll find somewhere.

mazandben Sep 16th 2012 2:30 am

Originally Posted by LittleMonkey (Post 10279651)
That's good to hear! The only problem we'd have is we won't have him in New Zealand when we'll be looking as he's only arriving in Dec and we are arriving in Oct! We'll have picks of him though. We could defo go and speak to agents in person though as I think they would get more of a feel for you than on the phone. We're happy to be flexible on where we live as long as house is reasonable standard.

All feels a bit sad about it all :( as having a lot of pressure to just leave him in UK, but don't think I could do it - unless vet advised against it or something like that...

I'm so glad we brought our dog over, he bring me soooo much joy and I would have missed him too much to leave him in the UK, Where there is a will there is a way, I'm sure you will sort something out, best of luck:fingerscrossed:

mazandben Sep 16th 2012 2:32 am

and he's my fur child:rofl:

LittleMonkey Sep 19th 2012 6:54 am

Doggie references have arrived :rofl:

BEVS Sep 21st 2012 3:13 am

:)

Think it's about time we saw this dog.

Pics please