Renting with Cats

Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Default Renting with Cats

Hi all,

well now that the time marches towards me getting a plane ticket I find that I must turn my mind once more to my cats. My parents opinions still havn't changed, but I have new intel.

I adopted them from the RSPCA over in the UK & they have no issue with me taking them to NZ, but when I explained I may not be able to (Depending on the economy etc) they said that I would have to give them 10 weeks notice of me complying with my contract with them and returning them!

That took me as a shock as I hope to be in NZ in 5 weeks and if I do have to return them.......... Well, you get the picture.

Anywho, that is very very worst case. What I hope to do is get them flown over 2 months after me (£3,250 GBP for 2 months boarding, flights and all vet stuff). Now, the problem I have with that option is not so much they will fly into Auckland, but rather I havn't got a clue where I will be living at that point. I will live where the work is and I don't know where that will be!

Go figure!

I have done a search on the forums for renting with cats, but most of it is related to renting with dogs, so will I have an easier time renting with 2 cats or will it be as difficult as dog owners have found it? Also, what sort of price should I expect to pay (It is just me & 2 cats so small place) and where should I be looking to find pet-friendly accomidation?

Thanks, Gizzy.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: Renting with Cats

Originally Posted by Gizmo27
Hi all,

well now that the time marches towards me getting a plane ticket I find that I must turn my mind once more to my cats. My parents opinions still havn't changed, but I have new intel.

I adopted them from the RSPCA over in the UK & they have no issue with me taking them to NZ, but when I explained I may not be able to (Depending on the economy etc) they said that I would have to give them 10 weeks notice of me complying with my contract with them and returning them!

That took me as a shock as I hope to be in NZ in 5 weeks and if I do have to return them.......... Well, you get the picture.

Anywho, that is very very worst case. What I hope to do is get them flown over 2 months after me (£3,250 GBP for 2 months boarding, flights and all vet stuff). Now, the problem I have with that option is not so much they will fly into Auckland, but rather I havn't got a clue where I will be living at that point. I will live where the work is and I don't know where that will be!

Go figure!

I have done a search on the forums for renting with cats, but most of it is related to renting with dogs, so will I have an easier time renting with 2 cats or will it be as difficult as dog owners have found it? Also, what sort of price should I expect to pay (It is just me & 2 cats so small place) and where should I be looking to find pet-friendly accomidation?

Thanks, Gizzy.
hi when we rented, we had pommy land lords and let us have our cats no problem, sometimes you have to offer a bit more rent , and have carpets cleaned professionally, and you should be okay there are loads of catterys in nz so if its only for a short time look on line in the area you will be staying
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

EmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really nice

Hi Gizmo27
We stayed in a motel with our 2 cats for 10 days when we first arrived in Christchurch 18 months ago. We found a pet friendly one on the internet; the owners were lovely and fussed over them all the time even offering us old sofa cushions and blankets for them to have as beds, nothing was too much trouble.

We looked for a rental in this time and found a brand new house we loved through Harcourts and were surprised when the owner accepted us with the 2 cats. He wasn't bothered at all, it was dogs he was worried about. It didn't actually say 'Cats OK' in the ad as some of them do so it's worth asking if you like a place as cats aren't always mentioned in the advert.

We don't have to pay any extra but there's a clause in the rental agreement that says if they cause any damage we will put it right (they haven't and we have to get the carpets professionally cleaned when we move, but I think that's the case with Harcourts whether you've got cats or not. We're due to move out of the house next weekend as we've bought our own place. Hope the cats don't leave home as this'll be their 8th move in 11 years - no more after this!

Ours flew to AKL 2 days after us and then down to Christchurch and we picked them up from Air NZ Cargo! You could book flights for them to AKL now and then maybe add an internal flight on when you know where you'll be working? Not sure about this but worth checking.

Good luck!
Emma
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

Hi there,

renting with cats is not too much of a problem. It's usually a case of some rentals are ok , some are not.

Dogs are much harder to find a rental, especially in the city.

the best thing to do is, contact the main rental agencies and tell them what you are looking for and they will let you know when a property comes on the market.

Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

maisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nice

Look for a private rental on www.trademe.co.nz - this is what we did and we found that actually when we asked if they minded cats most landlords said no problem. We found rental agents pretty negative about the idea of pets.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Even if an ad says no pets, you can often get away with a cat.
As for carpet cleaning...you could put in a clause I guese but be aware that a landlord or agency cannot insist that you have a carpet professionally cleaned as it is contrary to the residential tenancy act.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 7:40 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

We are renting and the clause on the tenancy was no pets. We contacted the rental agency because our 2 kids want a cat. They emailed the owners who were happy to let us have a cat, if we paid for any damage it may cause. Most people aren't too worried by cats, as they tend to 'wander the streets' rather than be kept in the house. Sometimes, an increased deposit may be all that is needed. Good luck!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

HHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really nice

Hi Gizmo

I am here now and have rented wih two cats. Found a place through a combination of Trademe and Real estate. is through a rental agency. Can't remember now whether the advert mentioned cats, either way the landlady was apparentlt unsure. She did capitulate when i advised that they were both female - she was worried re spraying. As others have said, modt rentals are ok re cats.

Good luck

Cheers

HH