British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Renting a bach - pay before arrival? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/renting-bach-pay-before-arrival-403171/)

simoneb03 Oct 19th 2006 10:02 pm

Renting a bach - pay before arrival?

We're renting a bach and have been asked to pay in full two weeks before arrival, we found and booked it over the net with the owner. Could anyone tell me if this is normal procedure as it seems a bit odd to pay the full amount 2 weeks before we arrive - I think it does exist, just seems a bit odd. I've been away from NZ for a while and not really tuned in to what's what so would be very grateful for any thoughts. I don't want to upset the owner either!

shazzafromnz Oct 20th 2006 1:14 am

Re: Renting a bach - pay before arrival?

Originally Posted by simoneb03
We're renting a bach and have been asked to pay in full two weeks before arrival, we found and booked it over the net with the owner. Could anyone tell me if this is normal procedure as it seems a bit odd to pay the full amount 2 weeks before we arrive - I think it does exist, just seems a bit odd. I've been away from NZ for a while and not really tuned in to what's what so would be very grateful for any thoughts. I don't want to upset the owner either!

Im assuming you are arriving in holiday season ie Dec-Feb..if so, this is probably normal..if you back out at the last miute they would find it hard to replace their revenue and this is a guarantee for them of your sincereity and commitment to taking on a bach at peak times...just make sure you receive written receipt or confirmation of payment and that you have a name, street address (not PO box No)and phone nos for the person you are renting the bach from as well as the receipt.

simoneb03 Oct 20th 2006 9:10 am

Originally Posted by shazzafromnz
Im assuming you are arriving in holiday season ie Dec-Feb..if so, this is probably normal..if you back out at the last miute they would find it hard to replace their revenue and this is a guarantee for them of your sincereity and commitment to taking on a bach at peak times...just make sure you receive written receipt or confirmation of payment and that you have a name, street address (not PO box No)and phone nos for the person you are renting the bach from as well as the receipt.

Thanks - yes is over Xmas. I have to get used to the kiwi way again - bit abrupt, no explanation!

shazzafromnz Oct 21st 2006 12:26 am

Thanks - yes is over Xmas. I have to get used to the kiwi way again - bit abrupt, no explanation!

You are welcome..I hope all goes well and you enjoy your stay in the bach..which beach is it at?

simoneb03 Oct 21st 2006 7:10 am

You are welcome..I hope all goes well and you enjoy your stay in the bach..which beach is it at?

in the marlborough sounds

shazzafromnz Oct 21st 2006 9:15 am

in the marlborough sounds

That will be lovely..its so nice there.

Canada Southbound Oct 21st 2006 10:06 pm

That will be lovely..its so nice there.

Renting by the week in general will take some adjustment for me. In Canada, we pay by the month. Laws vary province to province, but 1.5 to 2 months rent upfront is standard.