Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Renting in Auckland! ARGH

Renting in Auckland! ARGH

Old Feb 23rd 2015, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of
Default Renting in Auckland! ARGH

Hey guys!
So we have been in Auckland around a month now, and enjoying it so far. However trying to find a place to rent between 4 adults is proving very tricky.

We have viewed countless properties (many were disgusting), and applied for 3.

Is there any other way than going on trademe 24/7? Has anyone been successful in connecting with local agents instead?

We think people may be put off by two couples rather than a family group (although we are hardly party animals), so have prepared a short profile of ourselves to try and portray ourselves as professionals and respectable people.

We are currently living with family in quite a small house in te atatu, which means traffic is a joy
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Auckland! ARGH

I'd certainly contact local agents in the areas that you're interested in living and let them get to know you and what you're looking for.

It's amazing what landlords are prepared to rent out and the lack of care of their properties. Some seem happy to let them fall into rack and ruin even with tenants in!

Whereabouts are you looking? You may have to widen your search area to get what you want.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 11:11 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree contact the local agents and get to know them a little, pop in and met them if you can.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of

Thanks, sounds like a sensible way forward.

We are looking at mt eden, grey Lynn, mt albert or anywhere nearby that's close to a train station.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 1:53 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Get to know the local estate agents e.g. Harcourts, Barfoot & Thompson etc etc.

You may have already been advised of this but dress as if you were attending a job interview when you are viewing properties.

I attempted to arrange a viewing of properties for rent when I was in Auckland back in 2011 and I wasn't taken seriously probably because I had the temerity to ask how close the properties were to public transport links.

Basically once they cottoned on to the fact that we did not have a car they must have assumed that I was a tourist just making speculative enquiries.

Those properties were on Trade Me. Looking back now, I think they just wanted a glorified house sitter. I also wonder if I would have been taken more seriously if I was looking at properties in a higher rent bracket.

We rented a house in Christchurch and again in Wanganui, both times we went via a local letting agent, even if the property was advertised on Trade Me. BTW, we saw some real, 'dogs' of properties as in not very nice prior to signing the lease on the property we did accept in either town. (Yeah, and at one point, the car wouldn't start outside a property that we viewed that we didn't like in Christchurch as the car battery had died. It was a great day !)

Like you I am open mouthed at the truly awful properties that some landlords are trying to rent out. It doesn't just happen in Auckland, although I didn't even get to see any there. No matter, it's in the past now.

So, like you, I can relate to AARGH ! when it comes to Auckland rental property.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Feb 24th 2015 at 2:06 am. Reason: Punctuation
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Chocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really nice

As others have said, definitely go directly to agents rather than just looking on Trademe. We were more successful doing this. When we were looking last there was a big shortage of rental properties and we only got the one we are in now because the agent knew us. Good luck hope you get something decent soon!
Old Feb 24th 2015, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

SimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant future

property in those areas is a low standard in general. why not widen your horizons?
Old Feb 26th 2015, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys. Just want to live closer to where we work as we didn't emigrate to spend 2 hours+ a day in the car

Have made contact with a few agents already, and they seem very helpful so far.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

MaxxNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

probably you could broaden the scope of your searching radar. Anyhow, good luck!
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darbydoo
we didn't emigrate to spend 2 hours+ a day in the car
Amen to that! We moved back to the UK and our commutes are considerably shorter and simpler than they were in Auckland. Good luck with your rental search and getting the right area. I won't lie to you, it is tough and if you have enough persistance I'm certain you can make it work. Though after 3 years of trying, we decided enough was enough!
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 10:42 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
it is tough and if you have enough persistance I'm certain you can make it work. Though after 3 years of trying, we decided enough was enough!

Have some karma off of me for that.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:06 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Renting in Auckland! ARGH

It would be interesting to gauge the level income required to live in Auckland instead of another city (Wellington or Christchurch) or regional city (Palmerston North or Napier). My feeling is that if you are factoring in large mortgage payments or rent then Auckland is now looking very seriously unaffordable.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 7:57 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Amen to that! We moved back to the UK and our commutes are considerably shorter and simpler than they were in Auckland. Good luck with your rental search and getting the right area. I won't lie to you, it is tough and if you have enough persistance I'm certain you can make it work. Though after 3 years of trying, we decided enough was enough!
Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by darbydoo
Thanks, sounds like a sensible way forward.

We are looking at mt eden, grey Lynn, mt albert or anywhere nearby that's close to a train station.
Mt Eden (in the true sense of actual Mt Eden and not estate agent speak)is predominately in "Double Grammar", would be wise to look outside the catchment area for the boys/girls grammar schools given the assumption you don't need to be in it. You will be paying serious dollar for a decent sized pad, mainly because of the schools.

Remember land is the value not the house, the comments around the state of some housing, is based on the scenario of ...well if some one wants it so be it, the landlords investment is the ground not the box on it.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Just a quick update - we have finally been accepted on a house in Mount albert. We are over the moon and can't wait so that we can begin to feel more settled!
What did it for us was getting to know the agents and sending a profile off to them.
Move in 3 weeks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.