Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

rented a bach, owner accusing us anyone know about rights?

rented a bach, owner accusing us anyone know about rights?

Old Jan 13th 2007, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

simoneb03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rented a bach, owner accusing us anyone know about rights?

This is probably a bit off topic, but people here seem to be well informed so worth asking maybe! We rented a holiday bach, there were various things wrong, leaking roof, no SKy and other things as advertised, but decided to go for the quiet life and did n't complain. Now the owner is accusing us to pay for non existant extra people staying (they think more people stayed because we used all the beds as there was a leaking roof in one room, no window that opened in another) and trying to charge us for extra cleaning - we left it pretty damn clean.

There was no tenancy agreement and some other things wrong with it. Any knowledable advice about where we stand on this gratefully received as it is creepy! Their word against ours.
simone
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rented a bach, owner accusing us anyone know about rights?

Hey there,

We have come across this before.
When we first arrived in Chch we rented a cottage for a month. We had no issues with landlord at all I must stress. However it had one more single and one double bed than we needed. It was cleaned every week by their cleaner. We were told we would be charged extra if the other beds were used. We never used them and there was no problems.
I can understand you must be well peeved if you were not made aware of this by the landlord.
Good luck, don't let it spoil things for you

Lee
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

simoneb03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. They said no more than four people could stay but not that we could n't use the beds - and as I said we had to as the windows did n't open in one room, the roof in another leaked seriously. Maybe it's a kiwi thing. I'm not sure whether to reply or just leave it, she seems to be spoiling for a fight about nothing.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 7:36 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simoneb03
Thanks for that. They said no more than four people could stay but not that we could n't use the beds - and as I said we had to as the windows did n't open in one room, the roof in another leaked seriously. Maybe it's a kiwi thing. I'm not sure whether to reply or just leave it, she seems to be spoiling for a fight about nothing.
Hi Simon

Have you conveyed to her this issue about the reason for using the other room? If she persists let us know more details I am sure she would not want to be named and shamed.....

Where was the batch?

Not a kiwi thing from my experience - unless I am unique
Old Jan 13th 2007, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Reply and say " You are not getting another penny off us so sod off, you rip off merchant. And another thing get the f@#king roof fixed"
Old Jan 13th 2007, 8:08 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

If there were things advertised but not there then surely that is mis-selling and you'd have a good reason to make a complaint to the commerce commission?

Why not write to the landlord setting out the things that were missing and give the reason why you had to use the other beds. Then at the bottom put "copy to [local commerce commission address]"

Sometimes people don't realise the condition that their rentals get into or turn a blind eye to repairs which need to be done, mostly because they can't afford to do them.

Also, have a chat to your local CC office to find out where you stand
Old Jan 13th 2007, 8:16 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Did you rent it privately or through a website e.g. rentabach? I would write her a polite note explaining why you had to use the other beds and, if it was through a website, tell her that you are also copying the letter to the website administrator. Whichever way it was advertised it might be worth contacting Citizens Advice and tell her you are doing so. Any hotel/motel/holiday let will be tough on 'extra' guests - that's universal - but there has to be a degree of reasonableness too. Did you happen to take any photos of the place? I would NOT pay any extra money, even if it it's not much she's looking for - it's the principle of the thing.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

you are probably being charged extra for the leaky roof - its considered avant garde in these sophisticated times....