Rentals - Pets

Old Mar 29th 2006, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex Katikati, Omokoroa now Mildenhall UK :-(, 12 days and counting till we are back in NZ!!
tease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nice
Default Rentals - Pets

We have a mature (5 yo) labrador, that doesn't chew or bark and howl all day - ie she is a doll

we want to take her to NZ, initially she will stay with friends in Omokoroa until we get a rental place.

My question is how negotiable is "No Pets" on a rental - has anyone experience of negotiating with the landlord to accept a well behaved pet ie paying extra bond

many thanks

Tease
Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rentals - Pets

Originally Posted by tease
We have a mature (5 yo) labrador, that doesn't chew or bark and howl all day - ie she is a doll

we want to take her to NZ, initially she will stay with friends in Omokoroa until we get a rental place.

My question is how negotiable is "No Pets" on a rental - has anyone experience of negotiating with the landlord to accept a well behaved pet ie paying extra bond

many thanks

Tease
Hi

We would also be interested in this, as we are taking our Old English sheepdog and will be in a similar position looking for rentals.

Nick and Charlie
Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Some rental adverts say "no pets" but some dont so I assume that youd have to speak to the agent/landlord about it.

We rent a house in Beachlands and inherited 2 lovely cats as the previous tenent did not want to keep them anymore. They are both great and part of our small family now.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:45 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

We rented a bach for a month that was 'no pets' and I negotiated a 'dog bond' to cover any additional cleaning costs etc.
Many owners would at least consider this I'm sure
Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
We rented a bach for a month that was 'no pets' and I negotiated a 'dog bond' to cover any additional cleaning costs etc.
Many owners would at least consider this I'm sure
Good idea... I rent my house out in the UK and my last tenent had a small dog. I didnt mind her keeping it there. She was honest with us when the dog got bored being stuck there whilst she went to work and chewed the carpet (which was brand new). We had some carpet left over from the fitting and gave it to her and then she paid to get it fitted properly. She gave the dog to her ex husband after that. I would let another tenent have a pet... doesnt bother me.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex Katikati, Omokoroa now Mildenhall UK :-(, 12 days and counting till we are back in NZ!!
tease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nice

from this it sounds like we will be able to take her - she is such a part of the family it would be like leaving one of the children if we couldn't.

Many thanks guys
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

When we were looking for temporary accom for when we arived, we initally got quite despondent that everywhere seemed to be "no pets". However, on doing some more research, and emailng the landlords to tell them who we were, and describing our dog, we ended up with the choice of several places which were happy with a dog. So, I'm sure you'll have little problem finding somewhere once you're here.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

KiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to all

Hiya

Before we arrived in NZ we'd heard that it would be difficult to find a nice rental where dogs were allowed so we were quite worried. We left our beloved pooch with my sister until we got settled and we were really lucky and found a lovely house the first week we were here. The details said 'No Pets' so I asked the Rental Agent if this was absolute before we bothered to look at the house. We were told that the owner would be very happy to accept a dog if the 'right' tenant could be found for the property. She decided that we were ok people and gladly let us have permission for the dog - it is written into our rental agreement that we are allowed one labrador retriever cross specifically.

I'd say it is well worth asking even if it appears at first glance that dogs are not allowed. The owner just wants to be sure you are responsible owners and your doggie isn't going to be left at home all day with the run of the place and isn't going to wreck the joint.

Good luck to you and I hope everything works out smoothly. We've loved every minute since we arrived on Feb 26th. Kids are settled into school, hubby and I have both got full time jobs and life's looking good!