Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rental Help PLEASE

Rental Help PLEASE

Old Jan 10th 2007, 3:28 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Rental Help PLEASE

Is there anyone out there who can help me? ( Probably not the best choice of words I know)

We're shortly gonna be touching down on South Island and are settling for the time being in Blenheim (Hubbies job)

I'm really struggling to find renatla accomodation either furnished or unfurnished that isn't $1,000 per week :scared:

I've tried trademe, realestate, harcourts etc. The only luck to date has been with LJ Hooker who have 2 4 bed properties.

Does anyone have any more local contacts I can try? We're due to be there before the end of February ( so I found out last night) and starting to panic that we're going to be homeless

Thank you
Sarah
Old Jan 10th 2007, 3:44 pm
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental Help PLEASE

Hi Sarah

What you looking for found quite a few - something like this http://www.realestate.co.nz/409912?search=

G xx
Old Jan 10th 2007, 4:10 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah

What you looking for found quite a few - something like this http://www.realestate.co.nz/409912?search=

G xx

Hiya hun

thanks for the link .House looks good but not sure if it's big enough

Looking for a 4 bed ideally (5 of us) which seem to be in short supply ( rentals. seem to be in short supply)

How are you? Is Andy still not smoking? :scared:
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:43 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Is that it then?

I've been out for the evening and expected to be bombarded with suggestions, but nothing, zilch da nada.

Does anyone have a tent we can borrow? Please, pretty please..... cardboard box then!!! we're easily pleased.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

If you decided you could cope with a three bed house instead you would have more choice. Also look out for rentals with a sleep-out, it might suit a teenager or two.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Aww hope you manage to find one soon xx We're going to be crying over rentals soon enough, I can just see it !!!

Sorry I couldn't help !!

M xx
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah View Post
Is there anyone out there who can help me? ( Probably not the best choice of words I know)

We're shortly gonna be touching down on South Island and are settling for the time being in Blenheim (Hubbies job)

I'm really struggling to find renatla accomodation either furnished or unfurnished that isn't $1,000 per week :scared:

I've tried trademe, realestate, harcourts etc. The only luck to date has been with LJ Hooker who have 2 4 bed properties.

Does anyone have any more local contacts I can try? We're due to be there before the end of February ( so I found out last night) and starting to panic that we're going to be homeless

Thank you
Sarah
Hi Sarah,
Before we moved, we were looking for rentals on the web, and it seemed really limited. We waited until we arrived in Timaru (spent a week in a motel, not ideal with a family, but OK!) and went to all the realty agents and spent a couple of days doing viewings. Much more choice, and you get to see the properties and locations. We were able to move into our rental within a week.
Hope that helps!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:09 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12 View Post
If you decided you could cope with a three bed house instead you would have more choice. Also look out for rentals with a sleep-out, it might suit a teenager or two.
I've seen that term before, but don't know what it means. What's a "sleep-out"?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I've seen that term before, but don't know what it means. What's a "sleep-out"?
A room, maybe the back of the double garage, that has been converted to a bedroom. You still have to use the kitchen and bathroom inside, but you have a bit of independance, ie your own front door. Some sleepouts you wouldn't keep your dog in, but some are really nicely done, insulated, maybe a shower/toilet as well.
In one house I looked at, the sleep out was used as a sewing room, in another it was a games room. Sometimes it can be a really good place to throw a teenager...
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:41 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12 View Post
A room, maybe the back of the double garage, that has been converted to a bedroom. You still have to use the kitchen and bathroom inside, but you have a bit of independance, ie your own front door. Some sleepouts you wouldn't keep your dog in, but some are really nicely done, insulated, maybe a shower/toilet as well.
In one house I looked at, the sleep out was used as a sewing room, in another it was a games room. Sometimes it can be a really good place to throw a teenager...
Super, thanks ever so much Apple!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:43 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all your suggestions .

Think we'll wait till we get there and try to sort out a rental. Lots of those on the Real Estate sites haven't got any piccies :scared:

Or if we're lucky OH employer might sort some temporary accommodation for a few weeks
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:02 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your suggestions .

Think we'll wait till we get there and try to sort out a rental. Lots of those on the Real Estate sites haven't got any piccies :scared:

Or if we're lucky OH employer might sort some temporary accommodation for a few weeks
Oiy - (taht's Cornish for wassup?!) You gone teetotal avoiding the bar?!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:07 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Is that it then?

I've been out for the evening and expected to be bombarded with suggestions, but nothing, zilch da nada.

Does anyone have a tent we can borrow? Please, pretty please..... cardboard box then!!! we're easily pleased.
Think the short supply is purely the holiday season - once the kids go back to Uni ie March time the vacancies (and more realistic rents) should be more accomodating. Therefore if you can put up with a month in a short term holiday camp ?????

Surely someone at your hubbies new place of work could also help out?