British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Rental Help PLEASE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/rental-help-please-417982/)

P2L Jan 10th 2007 3:28 pm

Rental Help PLEASE

Is there anyone out there who can help me? ( Probably not the best choice of words I know) :D

We're shortly gonna be touching down on South Island and are settling for the time being in Blenheim :) (Hubbies job)

I'm really struggling to find renatla accomodation either furnished or unfurnished that isn't $1,000 per week :scared:

I've tried trademe, realestate, harcourts etc. The only luck to date has been with LJ Hooker who have 2 4 bed properties.

Does anyone have any more local contacts I can try? We're due to be there before the end of February ( so I found out last night) and starting to panic that we're going to be homeless :(

Thank you:)
Sarah

andy&georgina Jan 10th 2007 3:44 pm

Re: Rental Help PLEASE

Hi Sarah

What you looking for found quite a few - something like this http://www.realestate.co.nz/409912?search=

G xx

P2L Jan 10th 2007 4:10 pm

Hi Sarah

What you looking for found quite a few - something like this http://www.realestate.co.nz/409912?search=

G xx

Hiya hun

thanks for the link :) .House looks good but not sure if it's big enough:(

Looking for a 4 bed ideally (5 of us) which seem to be in short supply ( rentals. seem to be in short supply)

How are you? Is Andy still not smoking? :scared: ;)

P2L Jan 10th 2007 8:43 pm

Is that it then? :D

I've been out for the evening and expected to be bombarded with suggestions, but :( nothing, zilch da nada.

Does anyone have a tent we can borrow? Please, pretty please..... cardboard box then!!! we're easily pleased.;)

Apple12 Jan 10th 2007 8:45 pm

If you decided you could cope with a three bed house instead you would have more choice. Also look out for rentals with a sleep-out, it might suit a teenager or two.

UKNZAUS Jan 10th 2007 8:45 pm

Aww hope you manage to find one soon xx We're going to be crying over rentals soon enough, I can just see it !!!

Sorry I couldn't help !!

M xx

planty Jan 10th 2007 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4267241)
Is there anyone out there who can help me? ( Probably not the best choice of words I know) :D

We're shortly gonna be touching down on South Island and are settling for the time being in Blenheim :) (Hubbies job)

I'm really struggling to find renatla accomodation either furnished or unfurnished that isn't $1,000 per week :scared:

I've tried trademe, realestate, harcourts etc. The only luck to date has been with LJ Hooker who have 2 4 bed properties.

Does anyone have any more local contacts I can try? We're due to be there before the end of February ( so I found out last night) and starting to panic that we're going to be homeless :(

Thank you:)
Sarah

Hi Sarah,
Before we moved, we were looking for rentals on the web, and it seemed really limited. We waited until we arrived in Timaru (spent a week in a motel, not ideal with a family, but OK!) and went to all the realty agents and spent a couple of days doing viewings. Much more choice, and you get to see the properties and locations. We were able to move into our rental within a week.
Hope that helps!

Maz Jan 10th 2007 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4268374)
If you decided you could cope with a three bed house instead you would have more choice. Also look out for rentals with a sleep-out, it might suit a teenager or two.

I've seen that term before, but don't know what it means. What's a "sleep-out"?

Apple12 Jan 10th 2007 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4268543)
I've seen that term before, but don't know what it means. What's a "sleep-out"?

A room, maybe the back of the double garage, that has been converted to a bedroom. You still have to use the kitchen and bathroom inside, but you have a bit of independance, ie your own front door. Some sleepouts you wouldn't keep your dog in, but some are really nicely done, insulated, maybe a shower/toilet as well.
In one house I looked at, the sleep out was used as a sewing room, in another it was a games room. Sometimes it can be a really good place to throw a teenager...

Maz Jan 10th 2007 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4268617)
A room, maybe the back of the double garage, that has been converted to a bedroom. You still have to use the kitchen and bathroom inside, but you have a bit of independance, ie your own front door. Some sleepouts you wouldn't keep your dog in, but some are really nicely done, insulated, maybe a shower/toilet as well.
In one house I looked at, the sleep out was used as a sewing room, in another it was a games room. Sometimes it can be a really good place to throw a teenager...

Super, thanks ever so much Apple! :)

P2L Jan 11th 2007 9:43 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions :beer:.

Think we'll wait till we get there and try to sort out a rental. Lots of those on the Real Estate sites haven't got any piccies :scared:

Or if we're lucky OH employer might sort some temporary accommodation for a few weeks ;)

Am Loolah Jan 11th 2007 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4272789)
Thanks for all your suggestions :beer:.

Think we'll wait till we get there and try to sort out a rental. Lots of those on the Real Estate sites haven't got any piccies :scared:

Or if we're lucky OH employer might sort some temporary accommodation for a few weeks ;)

Oiy - (taht's Cornish for wassup?!) You gone teetotal avoiding the bar?!:p

thebears Jan 12th 2007 7:07 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4268362)
Is that it then? :D

I've been out for the evening and expected to be bombarded with suggestions, but :( nothing, zilch da nada.

Does anyone have a tent we can borrow? Please, pretty please..... cardboard box then!!! we're easily pleased.;)

Think the short supply is purely the holiday season - once the kids go back to Uni ie March time the vacancies (and more realistic rents) should be more accomodating. Therefore if you can put up with a month in a short term holiday camp ?????

Surely someone at your hubbies new place of work could also help out?