Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rental apart/flat in wellington. prices ????????

Rental apart/flat in wellington. prices ????????

Old Mar 17th 2005, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

davepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura about
Wink Rental apart/flat in wellington. prices ????????

Hi

thanks for the replies to my previous posts,

Ok ive got set on looking for work in Wellington, expressed my interest with my agency (Geneva health recruitment) and am planning on going over September

What i would really like to know is anyone has any good links for rental properties in the newtown area of wellington, near the hospital, or if anyone knows how much is the average price for a 1 bedroom flat in this area,

ive checked realenz, open2view but most are geared to buyers, also find it hard to relate the prices of renting to the uk.

Im probably going to be paid $45000NZ per year as a nurse, that with the pay rise they just got, thats the basic amount, in the uk im on about £18500 basic that goes up to £22000 with anti social payments,

So to break it down

How much should i expect to pay for a 1 bedroom flat, house in newtown wellington?

is the above wage of £45000 enough to live on for a single adult?

Anyone got any links for rental websites?

Many thanks, i'll keep looking on the net and will add any links i find to help out others with similar questions

dave
Old Mar 20th 2005, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rental apart/flat in wellington. prices ????????

Originally Posted by davepoole
Hi

Ok ive got set on looking for work in Wellington, expressed my interest with my agency (Geneva health recruitment) and am planning on going over September

What i would really like to know is anyone has any good links for rental properties in the newtown area of wellington, near the hospital, or if anyone knows how much is the average price for a 1 bedroom flat in this area,

ive checked realenz, open2view but most are geared to buyers, also find it hard to relate the prices of renting to the uk.

Im probably going to be paid $45000NZ per year as a nurse, that with the pay rise they just got, thats the basic amount, in the uk im on about £18500 basic that goes up to £22000 with anti social payments,

So to break it down

How much should i expect to pay for a 1 bedroom flat, house in newtown wellington?

Many thanks, i'll keep looking on the net and will add any links i find to help out others with similar questions

dave
Realenz is prob th ebest site, you can look at propertystuff.co.nz as well. thet salary isnt great, but it depends what youre used to in the uk. If you are on your own, have you considered "flatting" with others, even for the initial 6 months or so. benefits ar cheaper accommodation, and meeting new people.

I am paying $340 a week for a nice 2 bed 2 bath house, i think you can get a 1 bed flat for say $200 - $250, although not necessarily in the nicest of areas
Old Mar 20th 2005, 10:39 pm
Damages

Hi Dave,

We may end up in Wellington and we've been looking on www.harcourts.co.nz at rental properties. They've got all types of properties, can do an area specific search and have a wide range of prices (obviously can't account for the calibre of the area). It's well worth a look though in our opinion.

Phyllis and Ali

Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=davepoole]Hi

Hi Dave,
The area around the hospital is Newtown, Mount Cook. Newtown is where the zoo is also. Both of these area's have always been a bit run down, but recently have become quite trendy. Very much wooden older style houses, personally I would be looking to rent a new apartment in cbd. You could try www.justpatterson.co.nz or www.leaders.co.nz

Let me know if I can help about any other area's

Cheers
KAZ
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:19 am
Banned

ps_wardle is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave,
Newtown is a decent enough area (not all of it though), but i'd recommend that you wait until you get there, buy the Dominion Post newspaper on a weds / sat & pick from there. The hospital is really central to a lot of areas (wellingtons not huge anyway), but its accesible to some lovely suburbs on the coast (5 or 10 mins away), like Lyall Bay, Kilbirnie, Evans Bay, Hataitai, Melrose & others in that area. It would really suit you best i think to wait until you're there, as the standard of rental properties can vary from great to average at best. View them first, a decent website site for rentals in the area is www.arjay.co.nz
We rented in Lyall Bay (beautiful) for $340 nz per week, fully furnished 2 bed cottage RIGHT on the beach, it was great. There are loads of proeprties in the areas i've mentioned to rent, but i cant stress enough the idea of waiting until you get there, its worth a couple of nights in a motel to view the proeprties & get the one you really like in the right area. Newtown is OK, but can be busy woith traffic, whereas the areas i've mentioned are nice suburbs with bars / cafes, etc, really suitable & litertally 5-10 mins away from the hospital.
NZ is a superb place & we are returning to live permanently in 3 months. Your salary quoted is more than enough for a great life there, really enjoy it, give yourself time to settle & NZ time to grow on you, its different & slower, but it is the best place in the world to live.
Enjoy it
Hi

So to break it down

dave
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

davepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=kaz Hen]
Hi

Hi Dave,
The area around the hospital is Newtown, Mount Cook. Newtown is where the zoo is also. Both of these area's have always been a bit run down, but recently have become quite trendy. Very much wooden older style houses, personally I would be looking to rent a new apartment in cbd. You could try www.justpatterson.co.nz or www.leaders.co.nz

Let me know if I can help about any other area's

Cheers
KAZ
Hey thanks to everyone who left replies, really appreciated, will check the sites out

I still suprised about how helpful everyone is on here, if i find any decent info or nuggets of wisdom will put em on the thread for others

thanks

dave

Last edited by davepoole; Mar 21st 2005 at 9:25 am. Reason: didnt read the whole thread