British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Rental agents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/rental-agents-819531/)

kiwi wanna be Dec 28th 2013 12:34 am

Rental agents

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas of good or bad rental agents in th Kapati region, looking to rent around the end of Feb. looking on trade seems to be plenty of property around but wondered if some agencies were better than others?

Already been advised to avoid one from a work colleague but thought I'd get some BE wisdom.

Thanks in Adavnce

kWB xx

MrsFychan Dec 28th 2013 2:05 am

Re: Rental agents

think they are all much the same just make sure you read the small print and don't let them take the pee when it comes to moving out. One we had tried to with hold some of the Bond by saying the decal we had put on the wall had marked it. when we pointed out it was put up to hide the hole from a previous tenant that the owner had not bothered to repair they soon backed down.

kiwi wanna be Dec 28th 2013 2:17 am

Cheers Mrs F :)

M_and_M Dec 28th 2013 10:55 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11053147)
think they are all much the same just make sure you read the small print and don't let them take the pee when it comes to moving out. One we had tried to with hold some of the Bond by saying the decal we had put on the wall had marked it. when we pointed out it was put up to hide the hole from a previous tenant that the owner had not bothered to repair they soon backed down.

Agree totally. We had similar issues with our bond. Almost had to go to court, u need to be firm and read EVERYTHING

luvwelly Dec 28th 2013 8:14 pm

It gives me great pleasure to slag off Quinovic specifically the Cambridge Terrace Branch in Wellington - they messed us around royally when looking for our second executive rental and in the end we went with a private Landlord direct and he proved to be most easy to deal with.
They would for instance encourage you apply for properties despite being fully aware that the owner was planning on selling soon and despite knowing that you were looking for 3 year availability minimum.
Right up until leaving Wellington, I used to shudder everytime I saw their name anywhere as they messed us around on 3 properties in a short space of time.:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

kiwi wanna be Dec 28th 2013 8:20 pm

Sounds like quinovic don't have a great rep - your not the first to advise steering clear - thank you luvwelly :)

MrsFychan Dec 28th 2013 11:02 pm

thats the one that a friend had problems with, owner was not happy with them either by all accounts when friend actually spoke to them and told them about the problems

kiwi wanna be Dec 28th 2013 11:14 pm

Maybe I'll avoid them then! Seem's to be plenty of other options in Kapati! Let the house hunt begin :)

samboka1975 Jan 5th 2014 4:31 am

hi
I have recently had experience in this area and we did find a place in the end.

I was 7 months pregnant at the time of looking and found the start of this process very stressful until i worked out how it works.

I can recommend Ray Whites at Para beach, They were fantastic, i registered with all agents but RW were the only people who called me back.

I quickly worked out that you need to build a relationship with the agents to even get the best properties around, I have heard that the rental market is high on demand but low on supply so you need to be quick.

I used to check TM every few hours to see new places and found they were gone by the time i called the agent, in the end I managed to view a place before it even went on TM and it was perfect.

i also found the whole process of paperwork and upfront payments fairly easy compared to the UK, having just moved here from the UK we had no history or credit checks for them to go by but it was pretty pain free.

I have not yet to go through the leaving process and the bond issues people have had on here though.

Overall comments are
-be quick to visit and commit if you like it
-read all the T&C
-Be aware of the new water charges coming in July 2014, also in T&Cs
-get into the agents and get registered asap.

Sam

moonie2011 Jan 5th 2014 5:16 am

Can I slag off quinovics, mana as well, when we rented, 1 week after arriving in NZ, they failed to fully explain what contract we were signing, a fixed term tenancy of 7 mths. This meant that we couldn't get out of the contract when we found a house to buy. We told them we wanted to leave, they did nothing other than give me lots of excuses as to why October was not a good time to find tenants. Anyway 2 weeks later we searched and found new tenants ourselves. They had been into quinovics and asked for rentals in the area and they got told there wasn't any!!!!!:frown:
They then tried to charge me $500 dollars for finding new tenants, erm I found the tenants, did the viewing and introduced them to the rental agents. Needless to say I refused and eventually the new tenants moved in hassle free.
Personally I wouldn't use them again
Good luck

kiwi wanna be Jan 5th 2014 5:25 am

Cheers guys, hopefully going to see a couple of properties mid week! Avoiding quinovic like the plague, two properties I have my eye on are through Jade and CityLet - anyone know any issues with either of these?