Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rental advice please

Rental advice please

Old May 14th 2013, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rental advice please

When taking on a rental property did you give the asked for weekly price or is there an expectation that there will be a bit of 'give' ?
Also, what is the norm for length of contract or notice?
Many thanks x
Old May 14th 2013, 8:43 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental advice please

suppose you can negotiate but it might take you out of the running. seems to be to many people after to small stock. well round out parts any way.
You usually pay fortnightly in advance with a heft bond at the beginning, make sure you get notification after you have moved in that the bond has been lodged. lots of landlords seem to be keeping it and that is illegal and does mean its a lengthy business trying to get it back.
as for length of term that is entirely up to the landlord, we managed to get a 6mth one, so glad it wasn't any longer, and then we had a rolling 2 week one before we could move into another. Same day we were out the new renters moved in.
Old May 14th 2013, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
suppose you can negotiate but it might take you out of the running. seems to be to many people after to small stock. well round out parts any way.
You usually pay fortnightly in advance with a heft bond at the beginning, make sure you get notification after you have moved in that the bond has been lodged. lots of landlords seem to be keeping it and that is illegal and does mean its a lengthy business trying to get it back.
as for length of term that is entirely up to the landlord, we managed to get a 6mth one, so glad it wasn't any longer, and then we had a rolling 2 week one before we could move into another. Same day we were out the new renters moved in.
Thank you x
Old May 14th 2013, 11:32 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

If you are renting in NZ the rents are quoted weekly. You could make an offer on the rent if you wish. It might not get you anywhere though.

We had a six month rental agreement for the house we rented in Christchurch. The bond (deposit) was lodged with the correct authority, we got confirmation that it was. As Mrs Fychan says, it's illegal not to.

We moved out after three months but could not break the rental agreement. Our agent told us that we would need to still pay the rent until a new renter was found. Between you and me I wondered how motivated the letting agent would have been to re-market it.

However, within 3 weeks i.e. after paying the rent after moving out, another tenant moved in. 'We don't double dip' is what the agent told us i.e. the absent tenant pays rent, none the wiser that a new tenant is now in the same property.

We got an e-mail confirming the details and we got our bond (deposit) back in due course.

When we rented a property in Wanganui where we now live, it was the same deal. We did not sign a six month agreement so it was easy to move out after 2 months and get our bond back from the relevant government housing deposit department.

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 14th 2013 at 11:43 pm.
Old May 15th 2013, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

How long did it take you to get your bond back?
Old May 15th 2013, 6:00 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we had our bond registered, so after a bit of arguing about the state of the property when we took it on and the cleaner state we had left it in and a bit of weeding they picked nicked about it took about a week.
I think they may try it on with a lot of tenants to withhold some of the bond but I wasn't having any of it and got the full bond back
Old May 15th 2013, 7:23 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
a bit of weeding they picked nicked about.
Yeah, us too. When we moved out of our rental in Wanganui the landlord moaned about the fact that we hadn't cut the grass (we had no lawnmower). Also I had done some weeding albeit perfunctory, well that didn't suit either. So, I paid for a garden upkeep company to go and do an hour's worth of gardening at the rental. To the satisfaction of all parties.

In Christchurch, the landlord mowed the lawn at our rental. I think he was only to grateful for tenants !