Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rent out UK house - tax?

Rent out UK house - tax?

Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of
Default Rent out UK house - tax?

Hi all

Are there any financial implications to renting your house in the UK and selling it from NZ in a few years? Capital Gains Tax perhaps...?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rent out UK house - tax?

You have four years tax free before you'll have to pay capital gains tax and you'll also have to fill a form in, in the UK for Overseas landlord, not sure what it's called, rental company maybe able to advise.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:11 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

As a new migrant to NZ, most overseas income (Including rents) is exempt from NZ income tax for the first four years. After that, all overseas income is subject to NZ income tax, whether you bring that income into NZ or not.

I dont know for certain, but you may have to pay UK CGT when you sell the house
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have to pay CGT on it as you're not living in it - but check it out carefully- this page seems to give you an idea, although it implies there could be some exceptions

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ome/DG_4016337
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MOSO
I think you have to pay CGT on it as you're not living in it - but check it out carefully- this page seems to give you an idea, although it implies there could be some exceptions

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ome/DG_4016337
Thanks all. Useful info. I think my head is about to burst - too much to think about