Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rent a holiday home or a house?

Rent a holiday home or a house?

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 1:07 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rent a holiday home or a house?

So - do we rent a holiday home when we get over to NZ or a house - this is while we are looking for somewhere to buy.

Any thoughts or experience you could share with me please?

bless you

kate.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

suzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nice
Default Re: Rent a holiday home or a house?

Congrats on getting your residency!

Can't really advise on whether to rent a holiday home or a house, not yet being in your position (and a long way off it), but I had read someone suggested a holiday home. Saves you renting furniture so may work out cheaper in the long run.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by suzi n steve

Can't really advise on whether to rent a holiday home or a house, not yet being in your position (and a long way off it), but I had read someone suggested a holiday home. Saves you renting furniture so may work out cheaper in the long run.
thats a good point actually - having to rent furniture and the like.

gawd this is stressful!!
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzi n steve

Price has always put us off 'Holiday homes'. Can be a real rip off if you're not careful.

We're looking to rent a furnished place for about 6 months and use storage.
I think that cost and hassle of arranging the unloading /reloading our worldly goods could make the cost of storage more attractive and the thought of going through the unpacking/packing /unpacking all over again would fill me with dread!
There are quite a few fully furnished properties for rent on long term lets ie 6month to a year. Often people going abroad for 6 to 12 months put their homes up for rent. They usually have everything you need. We rented a house for 3 months a few years ago whilst the owner went on a world tour.
There are also 'House sitting' schemes which if your prepared to look after the grounds and general day to day maintenance, can work out quite cheap.
Hope this helps a little.http://britishexpats.com/forum/image...ies/unsure.gif
Jennifer
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 1:51 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
thats a good point actually - having to rent furniture and the like.

gawd this is stressful!!
Why not rent a furnished house?
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

So - do we rent a holiday home when we get over to NZ or a house - this is while we are looking for somewhere to buy.

Any thoughts or experience you could share with me please?

bless you

kate.
It might depend on how much stuff your transporting out to NZ. With an unfurnished place you've got space to put the stuff for when you buy and set up home properly. Are you taking everything (including the kitchen sink)?
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
It might depend on how much stuff your transporting out to NZ. With an unfurnished place you've got space to put the stuff for when you buy and set up home properly. Are you taking everything (including the kitchen sink)?
hell yeh!
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

hell yeh!
hoohah!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 6:45 pm
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
hoohah!!!!!!!!!!!!
very much depends on time of year, and where you are going.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:09 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

It's a no-win situation. Bring everything and you'll be saying "Why on earth did I bring a (insert item here) to New Zealand"?

Come over light and you'll be saying "Why on earth didn't I bring my (insert item here) with me"?

Anyway, aren't there some semi-furnished places out here? But that might be a compromise that is the worst of both worlds...
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:03 am
Just Joined

pedalmo is an unknown quantity at this point

HI DREAMFISH
WE FOUND THAT WE COULD RENT A HOLIDAY HOME AT A REDUCED RATE AND BOOK IT ONLINE FROM THE UK.IT WAS SO EASY AND THEY ARE KITTED OUT WITH EVERYTHING,ALL U GOTTA DO IS GO SHOPPING FOR YOUR FOOD.IT WAS RECOMENDED TO ME THAT WE OUGHT TO STAY IN A CHEAP MOTEL BUT WITH US HAVING 3 KIDS IT SOUNDED LIKE A NIGHTMARE.THE BACH GAVE US AMPLE SPACE AND PRIVACY,WE ENDED UP THERE FOR WEEKS.IT WAS ABOUT $400 BUCKS A WEEK AND INCLUDED GAS(AHHH HEAT)FREE LOCAL CALLS.THIS PLACE WAS USUALLY ABOUT $150 - $200 A NIGHT BUT AS IT WAS WINTER THEY WERE GLAD JUST TO GET PEOPLE IN.ONE GOOD REASON FOR GOING DURING THE WINTER MONTHS.WE EMAILED THEM AND ASKED IF WE COULD HAVE IT AT A REDUCED RATE AS WE NEEDED IT FOR 4 WEEKS AND IT WAS WINTER.
WE DID THINK ABOUT RENTING A FURNISHED PLACE BUT THEY NEEDED JOB DETAILS AND STUFF LIKE THAT AND THEY WERN,T CHEAP EITHER.(TO MUCH HASSLE)ABOUT 350 PER WEEK.
WE JUST GOT OFF THE PLANE,PICKED UP OUR CAR AND DROVE STRAIGHT TO OUR BACH,EASY PEESEY.

http://www.holidayhomes.co.nz/for-re...atu-wairarapa/

http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/index.htm

http://www.bookabach.co.nz/__Wellington.cfm

CHEERS CLAIRE
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by pedalmo
HI DREAMFISH
WE FOUND THAT WE COULD RENT A HOLIDAY HOME AT A REDUCED RATE AND BOOK IT ONLINE FROM THE UK.IT WAS SO EASY AND THEY ARE KITTED OUT WITH EVERYTHING,ALL U GOTTA DO IS GO SHOPPING FOR YOUR FOOD.IT WAS RECOMENDED TO ME THAT WE OUGHT TO STAY IN A CHEAP MOTEL BUT WITH US HAVING 3 KIDS IT SOUNDED LIKE A NIGHTMARE.THE BACH GAVE US AMPLE SPACE AND PRIVACY,WE ENDED UP THERE FOR WEEKS.IT WAS ABOUT $400 BUCKS A WEEK AND INCLUDED GAS(AHHH HEAT)FREE LOCAL CALLS.THIS PLACE WAS USUALLY ABOUT $150 - $200 A NIGHT BUT AS IT WAS WINTER THEY WERE GLAD JUST TO GET PEOPLE IN.ONE GOOD REASON FOR GOING DURING THE WINTER MONTHS.WE EMAILED THEM AND ASKED IF WE COULD HAVE IT AT A REDUCED RATE AS WE NEEDED IT FOR 4 WEEKS AND IT WAS WINTER.
WE DID THINK ABOUT RENTING A FURNISHED PLACE BUT THEY NEEDED JOB DETAILS AND STUFF LIKE THAT AND THEY WERN,T CHEAP EITHER.(TO MUCH HASSLE)ABOUT 350 PER WEEK.
WE JUST GOT OFF THE PLANE,PICKED UP OUR CAR AND DROVE STRAIGHT TO OUR BACH,EASY PEESEY.

http://www.holidayhomes.co.nz/for-re...atu-wairarapa/

http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/index.htm

http://www.bookabach.co.nz/__Wellington.cfm

CHEERS CLAIRE
thanks so much claire - i figured if we left here in UK summer months then what with all the emotions of leaving home then hitting NZ in wnter months, it might all become very grey bleak and emotional

but if we left here in winter, arriving in summer - then psycologically we will be thinkng this is great!!

but then..... if we arrive in winter, around 6 months we get really homesick, but then it wll be summer and we will be reminded of why we made the decision

hmmmmmmmm so much to think about!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Rent a holiday home or a house?

This house sitting sounds a good idea.
Anyone know where I might find more details?
Regards
Julesnye
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:06 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
Why not rent a furnished house?
yes, one man's holiday home is another's furnished rental in a nice spot kinda near the beach/spa/mountains/you choose........
My advice is bring stuff rather than give it away/store it/sell it and take the furnished for a couple of months followed by unfurnished for 6 months to get on the right track. But then I am a tight-@......
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:07 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye
This house sitting sounds a good idea.
Anyone know where I might find more details?
Regards
Julesnye
there's a website - cant remember the linky and last time I checked it out was in the UK about 6 months ago!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.