Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Renewing a UK passport

Renewing a UK passport

Old Apr 23rd 2022, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing a UK passport

Originally Posted by Justcol
I'm guessing the UK is having the same problems as everyone else. Severe staff shortages due in whole or part to the pandemic. If there's no one available to do a job, the job is going to have to wait. That's life.
10 weeks is what the passport office recently quoted when they warned people who were planning to go abroad in the summer, that they should apply now for renewals. I believe the backlogs are caused by the large number of govt employees on wfh who slow everything down, and the various ministers dont want to get tough and tell their people to get back to the office.
Old Apr 23rd 2022, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

There is a very simple solution.
if the processing time is 10 weeks. Send your passport at least 10 weeks before you are going to need it....job done 👍
Old Apr 28th 2022, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the timeline for my renewal from the US so far:

April 16, Application submitted on-line.
April 19, Sent required documents by FedEx
April 22, Documents delivered
April 27, Website confirmed documents received
April 28, Application approved

Unless the printing part takes an excessively long time, it looks like mine will be way under 10 weeks.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic

Unless the printing part takes an excessively long time, it looks like mine will be way under 10 weeks.
If it arrived tomorrow there will still be some on here who will say the service is terrible and continue to moan and complain.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

I renewed my passport last month.
Took 2 weeks to process from application on line to posting my old passport back and receiving my new one recorded delivery at the house.
Even passport pics at Asda cubicals are all loaded direct from the photobooth to hm passport office and you just type in the code you get from the booth to the online application.
so simple now.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 6:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If it arrived tomorrow there will still be some on here who will say the service is terrible and continue to moan and complain.
Very true.
I renewed mine in the middle of last year, figuring there would be a rush as soon as the borders opened. At the time they were saying it could be 3 months or more but it was back within 4 weeks. No complaints at all, thats quicker than when I renewed previously and it was dealt with within Australia!
Old May 10th 2022, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic

Here is my completed timeline:
May 1 New passport printed
May 4 Courier picked up new passport
May 9 New passport received - (after being delayed in East Midlands for "regulatory reasons")
It was left on my doorstep with no signature!

So that was just over three weeks, with almost half that time taken up with transporting documents.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; May 10th 2022 at 12:05 pm.
Old May 10th 2022, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was listening to the Jonny Vaughn show on radio x from London yesterday. He said his renewal took less than a week in the UK.

There is no drama to renewing a passport. The only ones in a panic are those who probably stock up on bog roll at the slightest hint of trouble🙄
Old May 11th 2022, 1:22 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The delays are because no-one bothered to renew their passport during two years of lockdown so now HMPO are trying to process three times as many passports as normal.

The blank passport booklets are manufactured in Poland by Thales but personalised in the UK by HMPO.
Old May 11th 2022, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The delays are because no-one bothered to renew their passport during two years of lockdown so now HMPO are trying to process three times as many passports as normal.

The blank passport booklets are manufactured in Poland by Thales but personalised in the UK by HMPO.
But that's the thing, THERE ARE NO DELAYS.
For people in the UK turnaround is a week. On the other side of the world it seems to be around 2 to 3 weeks. That's normal
Old May 11th 2022, 11:47 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

For people in the UK turnaround is a week. On the other side of the world it seems to be around 2 to 3 weeks. That's normal
Will my passport arrive before my holiday? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61397814

Passport delay threatens Tamworth family's holiday https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-61397426

Families tell of agony over passport delays https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61233440

etc..
Old May 11th 2022, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

I renews mine about 6 weeks ago. I had no problems what so ever.
There is massive delays with some people thou. I don't know why or what the problem is. It's on the news quite alot about the delays at the passport office and families have been waiting 6 months on there passport and still haven't recieved it.

I don't know if it's all smoke and mirrors as they were talking about privatizing the HM passport office if it wasn't sorted. maybe there looking for an excuse to privatize.
Old May 11th 2022, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Will my passport arrive before my holiday? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61397814

Passport delay threatens Tamworth family's holiday https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-61397426

Families tell of agony over passport delays https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61233440

etc..
The first one is just a public information article, it relates to no one specific
The other two are no different to situations that have always occurred. It's being over sensationalized.
If you think you might need a passport renewal, get it done in PLENTY of time, that way there'll be no dramas
Old May 12th 2022, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sta...301.html%3famp
Old May 13th 2022, 12:46 am

The first one is just a public information article, it relates to no one specific
The other two are no different to situations that have always occurred. It's being over sensationalized.
If you think you might need a passport renewal, get it done in PLENTY of time, that way there'll be no dramas
The average overseas renewal is taking 5-6 weeks, not 2-3, and HMPO is recommending applying 10 weeks in advance citing ‘unprecedented demand’.

https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.u...12th-may-2022/

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...vels-of-demand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.