British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Removers vs Shippers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/removers-vs-shippers-481369/)

sol133 Sep 15th 2007 7:57 pm

Removers vs Shippers

Having had a few quotes from various companies, now I've recovered from the shock, I'm drawn towards shipping my stuff over rather than having it packed and delivered at the other end. Most is already boxed up anyway - the removers want to unpack it and pack it themselves. There's an apparently decent company a mile down the road which would be convenient. I'm not taking a huge amount of stuff and don't want a load of strange blokes rifling through my stuff if I can avoid it. Can anyone give me an idea of how difficult customs make importing household goods for migrants? One rep told me tales designed to scare me into accepting his quote, but I don't like being bullied. How straightforward are the customs forms and is there likely to be a problem hiring a van or a local company to fetch my stuff when it arrives? Any ideas or info greatly appreciated!
:confused:

Maz Sep 16th 2007 12:26 am

Re: Removers vs Shippers

Do you have a visa to go to NZ?

simonmarkellis Sep 16th 2007 5:47 am

Originally Posted by sol133 (Post 5316052)
Having had a few quotes from various companies, now I've recovered from the shock, I'm drawn towards shipping my stuff over rather than having it packed and delivered at the other end. Most is already boxed up anyway - the removers want to unpack it and pack it themselves. There's an apparently decent company a mile down the road which would be convenient. I'm not taking a huge amount of stuff and don't want a load of strange blokes rifling through my stuff if I can avoid it. Can anyone give me an idea of how difficult customs make importing household goods for migrants? One rep told me tales designed to scare me into accepting his quote, but I don't like being bullied. How straightforward are the customs forms and is there likely to be a problem hiring a van or a local company to fetch my stuff when it arrives? Any ideas or info greatly appreciated!
:confused:

Whatever you ship has to be logged on an inventory for immigration. If you do it yourself your stuff's more likely to be pulled out for inspection than one done by a company week in and week out. Having used international removers they are very good at what they do.

TeamEmbo Sep 16th 2007 10:56 am

Marine Insurers may not cover you unless your stuff is professionally packed. At least that's what we were told by many of them when we rang around in May this year.

sol133 Sep 16th 2007 7:27 pm

Maz, I have a residence sticker in my passport to validate when I arrive. My most prized possession!

I'm sure removers are very professional, I just don't see the point of paying for someone to unpack my stuff and pack it up again. I want to keep track of things myself and know what's where, and although I know customs may ransack my gear when I get there, I don't have to stand and watch them do it and pay through the nose for the privilege. (I'm not the control freak I sound like here! But maybe I am as tight as I sound..) Just used to doing stuff for myself.
If I itemise the contents, which I intend to do for my own purposes anyway, this would surely satisfy customs? I know they'll probably inspect it, but if everything matches there shouldn't be a problem, should there?
As far as insurance goes - haven't started looking yet, but removers have a vested interest in getting you to sign up, haven't they?
Maybe I'm just too cynical for my own good!

P2L Sep 17th 2007 4:39 am

Hi Sol

Have a look at this link

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/perso...our-belongings

this will give you an idea of what is potentially involved in DIY!! If you go to the left hand side of the page, you will also find further links regarding wood items, vehicles etc.

If you contact Letton Percival www.lettonpercival.co.uk , they will advise you of what would be acceptable as far as insurance goes.

HTH

sol133 Sep 17th 2007 7:39 am

That's great, thanks for the info kev&sarah. What would I do without you guys???

cathdarke1 Sep 18th 2007 7:54 am

Originally Posted by sol133 (Post 5319042)
Maz, I have a residence sticker in my passport to validate when I arrive. My most prized possession!

I'm sure removers are very professional, I just don't see the point of paying for someone to unpack my stuff and pack it up again. I want to keep track of things myself and know what's where, and although I know customs may ransack my gear when I get there, I don't have to stand and watch them do it and pay through the nose for the privilege. (I'm not the control freak I sound like here! But maybe I am as tight as I sound..) Just used to doing stuff for myself.
If I itemise the contents, which I intend to do for my own purposes anyway, this would surely satisfy customs? I know they'll probably inspect it, but if everything matches there shouldn't be a problem, should there?
As far as insurance goes - haven't started looking yet, but removers have a vested interest in getting you to sign up, haven't they?
Maybe I'm just too cynical for my own good!

Hi,

Be aware that the MAF (customs) charge for inspection - We have been here 6 weeks our furniture arrived and we had to pay the MAF for the privelage of them looking through stuff. I believe they charge per box - We had 4 boxes looked at out of 190 - And that cost $200