British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   removals - to tip or not?!? HELP! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/removals-tip-not-help-613481/)

Stoof Jun 7th 2009 6:11 pm

removals - to tip or not?!? HELP!

a team of four from crown are coming tomorrow to pack us up... am currently running round like a, well, you know what, trying to get ready for them... in the meantime, i'm wondering, do i need to get to the bank for some cash??

should we tip them if they do a good job?? if so, how much?? is a tenner insulting or the going rate? is twenty each more like it?

HELP!??!??

ta

pixi-dust Jun 7th 2009 7:26 pm

Re: removals - to tip or not?!? HELP!

We didn't tip them but we laid on a huge lunch, teas and coffees whenever they wanted and a lot of beer at the end of both days. We did the same this end and they seemed very happy.
We used Crown as well and they were great.

teebrown Jun 7th 2009 7:43 pm

No we didn't tip either, just put our coffee, Tea, few cakes and biscuits, it was all good and they demolished the lot and seemed pleased.

lardyl Jun 7th 2009 10:10 pm

We bought the guys a great big fish and chip lunch and as it was Christmas provided some bottled and canned refreshment for them to take away at the end of the pack up on day 2. They were happy with that! :)

Wellington Will Jun 8th 2009 7:40 am

Do you know, I don't think I'll ever tip removers again.

I've habitually tipped about the four times I've use removers, but each time regretted it when it came to unpacking.

There has always been breakages they've not owned up to, and in one case we had a gucci watch stolen. They knew everything was going into storage so we didn't find out for over a year. Too late to claim and too late to accuse.

(As an aside, the watch was a wedding present from a former partner who buggered off after 6 months so I'm not so unhappy about the loss)

weejie Jun 8th 2009 7:13 pm

We used crown and like others provided tea,coffee,lunch both days and then gave them a case of beer as they left. Seemed happy enough.

Phyl x

Stoof Jun 8th 2009 9:49 pm

thanks all! off to tescos in the morning then! first day seems to have gone well! just a few hours tomorrow should do it, then we're off to my mums for a few days! erk

Am Loolah Jun 8th 2009 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Stoof (Post 7646316)
thanks all! off to tescos in the morning then! first day seems to have gone well! just a few hours tomorrow should do it, then we're off to my mums for a few days! erk

Good luck! Don't stand still for too long or they'll wrap and pack you too!:p

Food, tea, then beer and a cash bung at the end!:thumbup: Ours also inherited a coffee table that had woodworm - nice! And a large kids' slide that wouldn't fit in and also a large parasol that I couldn't be arsed to clean! Apparently that's quite normal so they tell me! (The gifting of unwanted bits and bobs - not clients who can't be arsed to clean!)