Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Removal Disaster - advice pls!

Removal Disaster - advice pls!

Old Apr 30th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Removal Disaster - advice pls!

I'm having a disaster with my removals. All was well and the container arrived in New Zealand in Tauranga last sunday and delivery arranged to Auckland thursday.
I then heard on tuesday prior from the NZ removal partners that missing documents were holding it up, and with the anzac weekend delivery was re-arranged for this tuesday.

Monday this week this was cancelled as the missing documents hadn't turned up, I find out it is a bill of lading, and started chasing up in the UK with my removals company X on monday night here. I was told all necessary docs were provided, I said clearly this wasn't the case and asked to be called back. No call back was received, so I emailed the next day and made calls last night tuesday, each time being promised a call back.

Now this morning I finally received an email response that the company had gone into administration on Friday 26th April, with a tel no. for the administrator.

Well I've made slight progress since, managing to get the paperwork through, and the goods cleared in port, so they are no longer raking up storage charges there. The problem is they are being held by the New Zealand mover on behalf of the UK Shipping Exporter Y who my removals agent contracted and instead incurring charges there, and will not be released until the UK Shipping Exporter and the NZ removals company are paid from the adminstrator.

I have tonight contacted the adminstrator and currently waiting a call back and have also spoken to the Shipping Exporter Y in London. The latter tell me they are holding the container until they get payment from the adminstrator, they will release the container if I pay them directly - approx GBP2k.
The NZ removals co haven't been paid too, so there's their costs too.

The container that's been held contains goods which do not belong to them, this to me sounds like blackmail, the container is incurring daily extra charges which no doubt I'll suffer. The delay will not effect the amount they Shipping Exporter Y will get from the administrator.
I've pointed this out to them, but they come back and said if they don't get the money from the administrator they will seek to recover it from me!!

This is turning into a absolute nightmare.

In the interim the UK removals company continues to trade on the same tel no. under a different name.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal Disaster - advice pls!

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
In the interim the UK removals company continues to trade on the same tel no. under a different name.
and indeed their website's still there, I doubt I'm able to name them or the UK exporters on a public forum so I will refrain from doing so.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

and indeed their website's still there, I doubt I'm able to name them or the UK exporters on a public forum so I will refrain from doing so.
I briefly used one of those London bases "international cargo forwarding" companies, and found out they had no customer service whatsoever.

The only thing they did right was to get my goods to New Zealand eventually, but nowhere near the time frame I paid for, and with no explanation for delay.

They even left the goods back in the London warehouse for two weeks by mistake , even though I'd paid for 7 day delivery!

I later found this company had gone into liquidation but a very similar named company still traded.

Complete cowboys in my opinion
Old Apr 30th 2008, 9:37 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

What a dreadful situation, I really feel for you. Not sure whats the best course of action, but can point you in the direction of the citizens advice bureau in both the UK and local to you in NZ perhaps they could put you in touch with someone who can offer legal advice. Furthermore, in NZ, you can be provided with a lawyer's number who will give you 5 mins free telephone advice. There is also the community law centre, who by appointment, can provide free legal advice. I hope this helps! Finally, you should try contacting Watchdog in the UK and Fair Go in NZ. Both can recommend causes of action. I consulted Fair Go in NZ over my own legal matter and the producers were great, gave me numbers and advice. All the best to you, must be incredibly stressful
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

So sorry to hear about current difficulties. It just never occurs to anyone that this type of thing could happen. My heart goes out to you
Old Apr 30th 2008, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Glen Vine is an unknown quantity at this point

You should name the company in administration. Your story isn't libellous - it's true. Name and shame - it might prevent someone else's impending disaster.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 12:33 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glen Vine
You should name the company in administration. Your story isn't libellous - it's true. Name and shame - it might prevent someone else's impending disaster.
Sorry, although it is a truly horrendous story, we would be obliged to remove the company name due to possible litigation issues. It would be possible though, for those who are interested, to PM the OP and find out privately.
Old May 1st 2008, 1:37 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Contact "Fair Go" on the telly as you may find that others are in a similar position --- you never know if they are in need of a good story to air on TV they may pick yours and get the heavies of TVNZ involved....
Old May 1st 2008, 2:38 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about his. Is there any chance your shipping insurance will cover the costs?
Old May 1st 2008, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Elsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really nice

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Sorry to hear about his. Is there any chance your shipping insurance will cover the costs?
Also were the removers a member of the BAR? As Im sure the association should be able to help you out under these circumstances.

Good luck!
Old May 1st 2008, 8:51 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't have any words of advice, just lots of solace.
Old May 1st 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice, support it is appreciated.

I've checked out my insurance, it doesn't cover insolvency. However the removals company were a BAR member and I have spoken to their advice line, they were helpful and asked me to mail details and the letter I'd received from X, as they had not had confirmation of the administration. I'll await a response.

While typing this I've finally had a response from the administrator, essentially there's nothing they can do. Y the shipping exporter are treated like any other creditor, the process is likely to last 12 months!!

Legal advice here's now essential.

Last edited by chocolate cake; May 1st 2008 at 11:51 am.
Old May 1st 2008, 11:47 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice, support it is appreciated.

I've checked out my insurance, it doesn't cover insolvency. However the removals company were a BAR member and I have spoken to their advice line, they were helpful and asked me to mail details and the letter I'd received from X, as they had not had confirmation of the administration. I'll await a response.

While typing this I've finally had a response from the administrator, essentially there's nothing they can do. Y the shipping exporter are treated like any other creditor, the process is likely to last 12 months!!

Legal advice here's now essential.
I'm so sorry to hear how badly this has turned out for you.
It's a bad, bad start to your experience here. Please don't let it colour your view of New Zealand too badly
Sorry I can't be of more help but we are all here to moan at if that helps at all.
Keep going and if I can give more karma, I will. Not that it helps in the slighest but it lets you know that we read your your posts and keep an eye on how you are doing.
Karen x
Old May 1st 2008, 7:46 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry, this is an absolute nightmare for you.
Do you have the money?
What I mean is, if you were able to pay them now to get your belongings, would you then be in a position to get it back when the company here is paid by the administrator?
I think we should all do a whip round - seriously - every little would help.

I wish I had a better answer for you as I can hardly imagine what a horrible start in NZ it is for you.
Old May 1st 2008, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Do you have the money?
What I mean is, if you were able to pay them now to get your belongings, would you then be in a position to get it back when the company here is paid by the administrator?
I think we should all do a whip round - seriously - every little would help.
I think that's a lovely idea Pixi - I'm up for it. It seems a good idea to me chocolate cake... at least you'd have your stuff and you can fight the paperwork and monies later... moving's hard enough without all that drama. :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.