British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Removal companies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/removal-companies-436305/)

scubaru Mar 21st 2007 11:05 pm

Removal companies

Advice please, good, bad & ugly removal companies from uK - AK, any experiences appreciated. We are shipping 8 cubic metres and 2 motorbikes

Hang11 Mar 21st 2007 11:18 pm

Re: Removal companies

Probably best to engage a lawyer before asking that question :cool:

pixi-dust Mar 21st 2007 11:28 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Leighlou Mar 21st 2007 11:29 pm

Umm, was thinking the same - just so you understand Scubaru, there was a posting on here the other day from someone who'd had truly monumentally bad experiences with one company and was giving all the details, and had got the the stage where she was off to engage a lawyer to deal with the matter. This thread seems to have gone, or perhaps someone else can direct you to it, 'cause I am sure as hell I can't find it.

Anyway, the moral of the story seemed to be don't pay your MAF fees to the removal firm cause they don't pass these on and you have to pay twice, and get everything in writing that the removals firm promises you as what is promised doesn't always get delivered, and finally get the best insurance and make sure it's water tight to cover you old for new as damages can happen.

Hopefully, someone else will come on and fill you in on where to find this thread - or the person who posted perhaps can PM you.
Best of luck - when are you off?

karonious Mar 22nd 2007 12:28 am

Originally Posted by scubaru (Post 4544227)
Advice please, good, bad & ugly removal companies from uK - AK, any experiences appreciated. We are shipping 8 cubic metres and 2 motorbikes

Check the really useful thread - someone collated everyone's replies to a thread on removals and posted it on there. :thumbup:
Karen B

sky Mar 22nd 2007 12:53 am

Seems like it's just pot luck at the end of the day. I thought we were unlucky losing a couple of boxes and a double extending alluminium set of ladders :confused: but I now am thinking we were quite lucky actually getting most things intact!

Dianne Mar 22nd 2007 4:28 am

I used Bishops Move and would advise avoiding them. The goods were late, many of my personal belongings were damaged or in some cases completely destroyed (I am now aware of this happening to other people unfortunate enough to select this company). The container had leaked so my stuff was damp and water marked. To top it off they stuffed up the insurance so a year later I am still trying to get compensation - apparently I now have to prove that stuff was not damaged before they packed it - pretty difficult huh !!! Have to say I would wonder why any sane person would pay that amount of money to transport damaged furniture but common sense is not sufficient.

The company gives good service up to the point that problems occur and then you are on your own.:curse:

PaulGent Mar 22nd 2007 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Leighlou (Post 4544334)
Umm, was thinking the same - just so you understand Scubaru, there was a posting on here the other day from someone who'd had truly monumentally bad experiences with one company and was giving all the details, and had got the the stage where she was off to engage a lawyer to deal with the matter. This thread seems to have gone, or perhaps someone else can direct you to it, 'cause I am sure as hell I can't find it.

Anyway, the moral of the story seemed to be don't pay your MAF fees to the removal firm cause they don't pass these on and you have to pay twice, and get everything in writing that the removals firm promises you as what is promised doesn't always get delivered, and finally get the best insurance and make sure it's water tight to cover you old for new as damages can happen.

Hopefully, someone else will come on and fill you in on where to find this thread - or the person who posted perhaps can PM you.
Best of luck - when are you off?

Hi Scubaru
We used Allied Pickfords. For us it worked OK although, as we had a part-containers load, it took much longer to get here than we had anticipated. In the end we were in the process of moving out of our rented accmmodation and buying our own house by the time it all arrived. Allied Pickfords agreed to store our stuff for 2 months while our house purchase was finished. They stored it at a nominal fee and they delievered it to our new house and unpacked it all for us. There was hardly any damage (one broken glass) so, apart from the lengthy shipping time it was a good experience.
I would definitely make sure you take all the insurance cover you can and that it's absolutely water-tight!
Having said all that I knwo that soem people have had problems with Allied Pickfords and they are certainly not the cheapest!

Paul

Sophie_Wellington Mar 22nd 2007 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Hang11 (Post 4544287)
Probably best to engage a lawyer before asking that question :cool:

I'm saying nuffin :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Apple Tree Mar 22nd 2007 7:08 am

Must have got soooooo lucky, John masons in the UK, The Moving Company here, took a little longer as a shared container, & over Christmas, but smooth as, big furniture re assmbled no probs, $ 139 MAF bill i think too.

poppets Mar 22nd 2007 8:55 am

Crown were fab from start to finish, no probs at all & would use again

SarahB Mar 22nd 2007 10:02 am

Hadley & Ottaway from Norwich were excellent... no problems whatsoever. They used The Moving Company at this end and no problems there either.

pixi-dust Mar 22nd 2007 10:52 am

I'm with Poppets - Crown all the way - really lovely guys both ends and the only thing damaged was our microwave and TBH we didnt even care!! They pack everything really really well.

magsnags Mar 22nd 2007 4:34 pm

My friend arrived in NZ (Marton) in Feb - having already bought a house. They stayed in a motel for 2 weeks while they decorated then 'camped' in the house - her new NZ neigbours insisted (to save them money and commuting time from Palmy) and lent them the basic's (arn't NZ'rs sooo kind). Her furniture left the UK in early Jan and arrived last Thursday all complete, even her delicate ornaments were unbroken :D
She used PSS and has recommended them to me for when I go.
HTH
Maggie

P2L Mar 22nd 2007 4:44 pm

We're booking with Crown ;)

We liked the idea of continuty between here & NZ; no hassle then

Sorting Insurance through Letton Percival