Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Relocation relocation relocation...(Dosh that is!)

Relocation relocation relocation...(Dosh that is!)

Old Nov 17th 2012, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Padycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nice
Default Relocation relocation relocation...(Dosh that is!)

Hey ho!

Well this is a mighty BIG move, so still weighing up the pros and cons I guess getting down to negotiations salary n relocation allowance, its a long way to relocate - and just the cost of bringing my dogs (and eye watering 8.5k) jesus thats more than my flight Did any of yee come over for a job offer (tis a good job in a big multinational company) and can anyone give me idea's of you got in terms of relocation allowance please? Was there any room for negotiation? was it a 'flat' fee and you sort everything yourself? Your a helpful friendly bunch and I really appreciate all your help and comments.

Cheers
Paddy
Old Nov 17th 2012, 8:39 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation relocation relocation...(Dosh that is!)

we got no financial help on relocation costs, might be because company is very small?
Old Nov 17th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Also got no help on relocation, think if you get that you are very lucky as it seems to be few and far between. Whoever said emigration was a cheap option was obviousy misinformed.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I got a relocation package when I came over from one of the DHB's, $3000 plus 2 weeks motel accommodation...not much but it sure helped!
I was required to pay a percentage of it back if I left that DHB within the first 3 years.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We where lucky as the wifes company paid for everything, from memory it was about 12,000 bux all in. We did have to pay for three dogs ourselves which was more expensive than moving all our gear !!

Explain that one to me u thieving bunch of animal shipping companys

Neil
Old Nov 18th 2012, 12:42 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Got no help sorry, our family of 5 plus a 40ft container cost about 10kGBP IIRC so aim for that sort of figure if you can...
Old Nov 18th 2012, 5:18 am
Banned

lfcfan is an unknown quantity at this point

We got no help and I transferred between countries with same company
Old Nov 18th 2012, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Padycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
We where lucky as the wifes company paid for everything, from memory it was about 12,000 bux all in. We did have to pay for three dogs ourselves which was more expensive than moving all our gear !!

Explain that one to me u thieving bunch of animal shipping companys

Neil
Yeah - why does it cost so much to bring dogs? feckers!

Well, I am shocked how many companies DONT offer Relocation allowance, I know this company does, but they said 'details to follow'. So it could mean owt from just paying for our flights... As its going to cost so much to bring our dogs the package had better be good - or looks like we will be staying here. Though must admit have psyched meselfup for the big adventure! Thanks for all the reply's guys
Old Nov 18th 2012, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

We're bringing our 2 cats and it's no where ne'er £8k. Guessing you get charged per cubic ft of cargo space so bigger the animal the more they charge. Is this £8k including quarantine? And are you talking GBP or NZD?
Old Nov 18th 2012, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

Hi Paddy,

My OH got a relocation package for coming over. It was $10k plus visa costs and we were told we could spend the money on whatever we wanted and were given a migration consultant who arranged whatever we wanted (no cost to us and on top of $10k). Overall the package must have been worth $12k??

We had enough to get both our flights, all our shipping (no animals) and still had money left which we used for the first 6 weeks rent and car hire.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisamct
I got a relocation package when I came over from one of the DHB's, $3000 plus 2 weeks motel accommodation...not much but it sure helped!
I was required to pay a percentage of it back if I left that DHB within the first 3 years.
+1
Been with the DHB more than 3 years now so dont have to pay any of it back.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:21 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

It cost us £6,000 to ship a 20' container from S.E. England to Christchurch, NZ, February last year with PSS/NZ Van Lines. No kids, no pets, no car. We paid for it ourselves, 'cause no one else was going to ! However, when my husband was offered a job in a small town on North Island, we got a fixed amount from his department to help us with our relocation from Christchurch. It cost half as much again, but it was a help. He is not bonded i.e. if he chooses to leave at any time, he is not liable to pay it back.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Nov 19th 2012 at 6:26 am.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:31 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Husbands company paid for our container and 4 weeks in a hotel
Old Nov 19th 2012, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Well got the job offer and thanks to yee guys my expectations of the relocation was not great (shocked to hear so many of u got nowt!) but anyway you have given me some idea of the costs involved (less of course my dogs!) The relocation is 10k (NZ dosh that is) plus a months accomm . Ohhh heck so much to think about -big opportunity, but BIG move. We looked at both sides, some folks love it- and others.... Just how difficult is it it to make friends? now as a drinker,never been a problem wherever I have been... just checking!! ??
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:53 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Drink the local brews, i.e. Speights, Steinlager the list goes on and on. You'll fit right in ! Order a 'handle' of beer. That's a glass tankard similar in size to a pint. Don't worry that you haven't been served a pint, you've paid for a handle. I have no idea what the difference in size between a British pint and an NZ handle (if you're not drinking by the bottle) is. 'On the eye' very little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.