British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Relocation away from Auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/relocation-away-auckland-874201/)

Parnell Mar 12th 2016 7:10 pm

Relocation away from Auckland

Would you consider a relocation to Bay of Plenty if your currently in Auckland?

Would you worry about:
- Schooling?
- Shopping?
- Facilities and infrastructure?
- Entertainment?
- Job prospects for partners?
- Future job prospects?

Same salary level as Auckland (no reduction)

jmh Mar 12th 2016 7:41 pm

Re: Relocation away from Auckland

I certainly would like to. I have a friend who moved from Wellington to Tauranga, and although she likes the lifestyle, her income has dropped and work is thin on the ground.

If your partner is happy with low-level work, there will be jobs, but anything more challenging, then they will probably find it hard.

I had a client move from Dunedin to Auckland recently because he couldn't find any high-level jobs there, so it's even less likely in BOP.

If your income will stay the same I say go for it. House prices are lower but rising.

Parnell Mar 12th 2016 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 11893778)
I certainly would like to. I have a friend who moved from Wellington to Tauranga, and although she likes the lifestyle, her income has dropped and work is thin on the ground.

If your partner is happy with low-level work, there will be jobs, but anything more challenging, then they will probably find it hard.

I had a client move from Dunedin to Auckland recently because he couldn't find any high-level jobs there, so it's even less likely in BOP.

If your income will stay the same I say go for it. House prices are lower but rising.

The thought is from an employer. Had a discussion with another forum and some recruiters in Auckland.

Found it strange that people quibble about house prices and standard of living and yet wont take action?

Most of the roles are also well into the 6 figures (with bonus 7 figures) so partners would be looking at work as time filled opportunities. Sporting and charity opportunities would still be wide spread in the BOP.

jmh Mar 12th 2016 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Parnell (Post 11893800)
The thought is from an employer. Had a discussion with another forum and some recruiters in Auckland.

Found it strange that people quibble about house prices and standard of living and yet wont take action?

Most of the roles are also well into the 6 figures (with bonus 7 figures) so partners would be looking at work as time filled opportunities. Sporting and charity opportunities would still be wide spread in the BOP.

One of my main reasons for staying is elderly parents in Auckland - once that is no longer a problem I will probably move out. People put up with Auckland for all sorts of reasons. The fact that I work from home makes it more bearable.

Bo-Jangles Mar 12th 2016 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Parnell (Post 11893800)

It's hardly the land of plenty in terms of job. Looking on seek there are 66 full time 'vacancies' listed in the whole of the Bay of Plenty (including Tauranga to Rotorua) with pay alleged to be $100k or greater. Take out all the duds offering commission based pay / 'business opportunities', the duplicates, overseas roles, and real estate agents and see what you are left with that matches your particular skills and qualifications = erm not a lot and even less if you are a new immigrant needing a job that will provide points and meet with immigration requirements.

ETA: Probably should also discount any vacancies in Kawerau - the unemployment Capital of NZ

Parnell Mar 12th 2016 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11893836)
It's hardly the land of plenty in terms of job. Looking on seek there are 66 full time 'vacancies' listed in the whole of the Bay of Plenty (including Tauranga to Rotorua) with pay alleged to be $100k or greater. Take out all the duds offering commission based pay / 'business opportunities', the duplicates, overseas roles, and real estate agents and see what you are left with that matches your particular skills and qualifications = erm not a lot and even less if you are a new immigrant needing a job that will provide points and meet with immigration requirements.

Thanks for highlighting the misleading job vacancies on Seek. And yes agree the current employment opportunities in regional areas are small. Which is where development and move of companies from Auckland should be encouraged not discouraged. But along the way assumed problems should be identified to be tackled and overcome.

We would be taking a great deal of interest in creating or assisting with employment for the partners.

Thanks for the PM's I did like the idea of using Seek rather than agents and using the saving towards relocation package.

Parnell Mar 12th 2016 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 11893833)
One of my main reasons for staying is elderly parents in Auckland - once that is no longer a problem I will probably move out. People put up with Auckland for all sorts of reasons. The fact that I work from home makes it more bearable.

Thanks for that view point.

PHONEJUNKY Mar 19th 2016 1:51 am

We are in the same situation. We have been in Auckland for nearly 3 years and as soon as we have sold our UK property we are toying between moving to either Tauranga area or Nelson which we love both. There are good and bad points in both places regarding Schools for our 12 year old Daughter. Its a shame it has come to this but Auckland has become to unaffordable to live and buy and we want to get on the property ladder but there is no chance in Auckland. We can both re locate with our jobs to either Nelson or Tauranga which makes things a lot easier.