British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Relocating to NZ - Hello people! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/relocating-nz-hello-people-410351/)

Littletoe Nov 27th 2006 9:28 am

Relocating to NZ - Hello people!

Hi

My name is Nikki and I'm British. My husband is a Kiwi, who was born in Hamilton but until we met and married lived in Auckland (North Shore). We had a brilliant time touring NZ, in particular, loved the South Island. Anyway, I dragged the poor chap to live in the UK for a bit, but since having two children we've decided to head back to NZ. Tax rates are ever rising, the education system is dreadful, and don't even get me started on the NHS. We plan to head over after Christmas (as soon as possible), we're not entirely sure whereabouts we intend to settle. Steve is currently looking at work around the North Island. Neither of us fancy Auckland too much because of the rush hour, but we'll have to go where we find the work of course.

So, like any true Brit, I've come online to search for Brits living in NZ. I'd love to make some contacts before I arrive, fire questions to help prepare us for the move and eventually probably moan about the Kiwis!

Hope to hear from someone, anyone...

Nikki

karonious Nov 27th 2006 10:09 am

Re: Relocating to NZ - Hello people!

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Hi

My name is Nikki and I'm British. My husband is a Kiwi, who was born in Hamilton but until we met and married lived in Auckland (North Shore). We had a brilliant time touring NZ, in particular, loved the South Island. Anyway, I dragged the poor chap to live in the UK for a bit, but since having two children we've decided to head back to NZ. Tax rates are ever rising, the education system is dreadful, and don't even get me started on the NHS. We plan to head over after Christmas (as soon as possible), we're not entirely sure whereabouts we intend to settle. Steve is currently looking at work around the North Island. Neither of us fancy Auckland too much because of the rush hour, but we'll have to go where we find the work of course.

So, like any true Brit, I've come online to search for Brits living in NZ. I'd love to make some contacts before I arrive, fire questions to help prepare us for the move and eventually probably moan about the Kiwis!

Hope to hear from someone, anyone...

Nikki

I'll pop up here as well then.. if he is from Hamilton, does he want to return here? I personally like it here but appreciate it is not to everyone's taste. 3rd largest city here, but still has a big town feel rather than a city feel.

Littletoe Nov 27th 2006 10:25 am

Originally Posted by karonious
I'll pop up here as well then.. if he is from Hamilton, does he want to return here? I personally like it here but appreciate it is not to everyone's taste. 3rd largest city here, but still has a big town feel rather than a city feel.

Hi Karen!

Thanks for writing in my own little bit!

I wasn't too keen on Hamilton to be honest, but I really liked Cambridge as a place to live while Steve commutes. He lived in Ohapu (sorry not sure of spelling!). The countryside is beautiful. We're trying to stay open-minded. Steve is looking to work in financial services or stockbroking, so it depends on the work. He still supports the Waikato in rugby!

karonious Nov 27th 2006 10:53 am

Hi Karen!

Thanks for writing in my own little bit!

I wasn't too keen on Hamilton to be honest, but I really liked Cambridge as a place to live while Steve commutes. He lived in Ohapu (sorry not sure of spelling!). The countryside is beautiful. We're trying to stay open-minded. Steve is looking to work in financial services or stockbroking, so it depends on the work. He still supports the Waikato in rugby!

Mummomonty lives in Cambridge, she might be able to give you some insider info if you PM her. I would have thought that his line of work would have been more easily accomodated in a city?

Littletoe Nov 27th 2006 11:05 am

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to find out how to do that!

Yes, he needs to be based near a city, or do you mean, THE city, as in Auckland? I think it depends on what industry he'd do and whether there was already a client base. I would like him to work for a bank, there is something honest and secure and about banks ;) but he's more keen to set up a stockbroking thing, in which he could be pretty much anywhere and commute. I don't know too much about his line of work, it kind of bores me. All I do know is that he's not made a specific request in terms of location. There seems to be loads of jobs in NZ for his sort of work, especially with English experience, so we're hoping it'll be us choosing. Then I'll have to figure in the schools, healthcare, houses, etc. Although as long as I've got Speights and Hawkes Bay wine, I'm not too bothered about the important things! :beer:

Did you choose Hamilton? Have you lived anywhere else?

karonious Nov 27th 2006 11:23 am

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to find out how to do that!

Yes, he needs to be based near a city, or do you mean, THE city, as in Auckland? I think it depends on what industry he'd do and whether there was already a client base. I would like him to work for a bank, there is something honest and secure and about banks ;) but he's more keen to set up a stockbroking thing, in which he could be pretty much anywhere and commute. I don't know too much about his line of work, it kind of bores me. All I do know is that he's not made a specific request in terms of location. There seems to be loads of jobs in NZ for his sort of work, especially with English experience, so we're hoping it'll be us choosing. Then I'll have to figure in the schools, healthcare, houses, etc. Although as long as I've got Speights and Hawkes Bay wine, I'm not too bothered about the important things! :beer:

Did you choose Hamilton? Have you lived anywhere else?

Lived in shit-loads of places round Uk as my Steve was in the RAF, came here through my job offer and like it so far.
I just meant A city, I don't know Auckland at all so can't/won't comment on somewhere I know nothing about.
Your husband's job?...been married twice and still don't know how men fill their day :D