Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Relocating Dogs to NZ

Relocating Dogs to NZ

Old Oct 20th 2013, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating Dogs to NZ

I recently had a quote for just over $3000 for two from Melbourne. Only a 3 hour flight and no quarantine (I think!!)

Actually that may include the crates.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

clairesw is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived 8mths ago with our two terriers, we wouldn't have come without them. It cost a fortune, more than the cost of bringing ourselves over, but worth every cent. I have erased the exact cost from my memory, but can look it up if needs be!
My advice would be to get their rabies shots done as they need to be at least six mths before you leave. They will then need rabies blood tests, best time is about 3 weeks after the vaccine.

I too can't praise Golden Arrow enough, it had a good feeling about them right from the start. They sent us all the paperwork detailing exactly what we needed to do and when and also liaised with the quarantine centre.

Our boys are now settled right in. They had some separation anxiety for the first 2-3wks, possibly because we had never kennelled them before so they'd never been without us. But all in all I'm amazed how quickly they settled in.

Good luck!
Old Oct 21st 2013, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

KSmith42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again. I had a nice chat with Animal Airlines. After researching the process, I'm confident I can do a lot more myself than I thought I could after such complicated expensive quotes! Seems to me the more complicated relocation companies make their quotes, the more people think to let them just do it all and accept the costs. My vet has organised a free consultation to go through all the Defra requirements so we get everything right. It'll save us £3k and I'd rather put that money towards lots of doggie treats! We just await the right job offer now!!

Last edited by KSmith42; Oct 21st 2013 at 3:11 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

mazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud of

I too used Golden Arrow and boarded my dog with them for a week before flying, they were fantastic and I would recommend
Old Oct 27th 2013, 8:50 am
Just Joined

lo66uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KSmith42
Thanks for your messages all. From the quotes I have in we are looking at £10k (ouch!). That's more than our cost to move ourselves including the car. We have a black lab (Dad), a brown lab (mum) and their little girl who is a golden lab who mean the world to me so we cant even think of leaving any of them. Golden Arrow do seem to be very helpful and caring so if we do go we will go with them.... once we've saved a few pennies!!

Hi,

We're hoping to do the same in April 2014.

We got 3 quotes- one for Transfur, another was Pet Passengers and the third was PetAir. Transfur was cheapest (around £1600) but we're budgeting another £1000 on top for vet bills etc). Hadn't even heard of Golden Arrow but will check them out now! Obviously can't give any idea of how good they are but Transfur have been the best re communication.

Good luck!