Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Relocating from Aus to Nz

Relocating from Aus to Nz

Old Mar 19th 2019, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Northern_lights is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating from Aus to Nz

Hi all has anyone made the move from Australia to New Zealand?

I've been living in Australia for 5 years and generally like the place but I'm find the oppressive heat and humidity during summer is preventing me and my family leading an outdoors type life.

before Australia I lived in Holland and even though it was cold found myself outdoors a lot more.
I'm considering new Zealand because it is still generally sunny but without the oppressive heat.
I have been to Tasmania and I liked that but you still have nasty spiders and snakes there which is also a factor in thinking about nz(young kids).

I work in IT so I think jobs should not be too much of a problem. I'm just interested in hearing others experiences.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating from Aus to Nz

Hi Northern Lights,
Welcome to BE, I see its your first post.

I lived in Melbourne for a few years before moving to the UK and then returning home to NZ. I found that Melbourne was around 5 degrees warmer than Christchurch, but those 5 degrees can make a difference. I remember on 40 degree plus days sitting under the air conditioner when living in Melbourne, where as in NZ a hot day is 30-32 degrees.
Best wishes.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Hi there, thanks for the response. Interesting observation about Christchurch. I was actually considering Dunedid because in many ways the landscape reminds me of where I grew up in uk.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Northern_lights
I was actually considering Dunedid because in many ways the landscape reminds me of where I grew up in uk.
Woohoo another one for Dunedin, come on down it's great.
summers are mid / high 20s, winter's are cold with some heavy Frost's
im an hour outa duners and we get some minus 5's and 6's during winter

Last edited by Justcol; Mar 19th 2019 at 8:30 am.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 12:07 am
Just Joined

Hi justcol temperature sounds perfect for me. I just need to convince the wife that nz and dunedin is a good place. She will think it is cold there which it probably is compared to brisbane.
I'd like to move sooner rather than later but realistically it may be 5-10 years down the track before we can move.
are house prices going down there? The market in oz seems to be pointing down at the moment.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

It seems while Auckland prices are steadying out. Prices in the provinces, outside of Aucklands reach, are continuing to rise but are still affordable...for the time being

Last edited by Justcol; Mar 21st 2019 at 4:38 am.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Northern lights,

i am Australian and moved back to Christchurch recently with my 17 year old daughter who wanted to go back.
Lived there previously, moved back to Sydney in 2010. Was living in Qld before moving back. Where I had some lovely battles with monster cockroaches. Even as an Aussie I never get used to the creatures!

I don't dislike Australia, I like both countries, I just like New Zealand better. My daughter prefers it and still has many friends here, she can't handle the heat in Oz.

Which reminds me, I need to change my location ony profile!

​​​​​​
Old Mar 21st 2019, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Yeah the bugs in australia are something else. I lived in Adelaide and there were redbacks everywhere, you just couldn't relax. Here in Brisbane to be fair haven't seen one redback but I have seen huge pythons on my street at night which is a worry when you have a 1 yr old in the house.
I never worried about this stuff until I got kids
Old Mar 21st 2019, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Northern_lights
Hi all has anyone made the move from Australia to New Zealand?

I've been living in Australia for 5 years and generally like the place but I'm find the oppressive heat and humidity during summer is preventing me and my family leading an outdoors type life.

before Australia I lived in Holland and even though it was cold found myself outdoors a lot more.
I'm considering new Zealand because it is still generally sunny but without the oppressive heat.
I have been to Tasmania and I liked that but you still have nasty spiders and snakes there which is also a factor in thinking about nz(young kids).

I work in IT so I think jobs should not be too much of a problem. I'm just interested in hearing others experiences.
Seems we share a few things in common:-
I've also lived in Australia for 5 years, from UK.
Have a small child.
I also work in IT.

I have thought about New Zealand, the climate and landscape look lovely. But that's where it ends.
I have not actually visited yet, and although I'm sure it would make a great holiday, the impression I get from people here and from TV, NZ just looks like an utter hole to live in.
I have heard they are thick, gang like, tattooed arrogant b***ds(they certainly live up to that on TV), and the wages stink and everything is extremely costly. Besides the scenery it seems to have the worst of Australia (but is even more backwards) and none of the perks.

Of course some might disagree with me, and I've never been to NZ, but seeing as we are in a similar position its worth stating what my impressions are. Having lived here 5 years my opinion of NZ has completely nose dived. Fair or not I don't know....but the way they present themselves and their country doesn't do them any favours. I still do plan on visiting and going on a skiing holiday at some point in the near future to see for myself.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rabble,

There may be places like that but not where i live! I don't know where you live on Oz, but i grew up in Sydney and lived on the Gold coast for two years and there was plenty of that in both, especially the Goldie! I've not seen so much crime and drug problems as I did there. In some places I didn't feel comfortable walking in the day, and I lived in South west Sydney for many years, which can be a bit rough around the edges. I still felt safer.

It's goid to get advice from others but it's also good to make your own judgements. I think a visit is good as so many places will vary like anywhere.

I do like the weather better in Chch though, a heatwave here is a normal day in qld without the humidity!
Old Mar 21st 2019, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
I have not actually visited yet, and although I'm sure it would make a great holiday, the impression I get from people here and from TV, NZ just looks like an utter hole to live in.
I have heard they are thick, gang like, tattooed arrogant b***ds(they certainly live up to that on TV), and the wages stink and everything is extremely costly. Besides the scenery it seems to have the worst of Australia (but is even more backwards) and none of the perks.
Both are probably similar in terms of the over representation of the bogan element of thick, gang like, tattooed arrogant b***ds but given the events of the past week I find your remarks incredibly insensitive and I don't think the time is right to even mention or start any kind of contest around this.

Having seen and heard our PM in action this week I think it would be an easy win for NZ in terms of choosing where I would rather be.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Mar 21st 2019 at 10:32 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

I tried you give you karma Bo Jangles but it won't work on my phone, so I'm giving you karma ..

Michelle
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 12:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mishclark
I tried you give you karma Bo Jangles but it won't work on my phone, so I'm giving you karma ..

Michelle
You need to open up a new tab on your phone to give karma. It took me a while to work it out. If only I could get the multi-quote button to work!!
Indeed, well said Bo. Not sure how you can give an opinion on a country based on what you've seen on TV etc. and you haven't actually been. I'm sure the OP is intelligent enough to ignore such posts.

Personally, I can understand not wanting to live in Queensland due to the heat. I find it too hot there, although there are lots of great places. I could happily live in Melbourne and Sydney though. I'd love to leave NZ and give Australia a try. For me, living in NZ is like waiting to die and it's a long, slow, painful death.
I just find Aussie more vibrant and a better fit for us.
I spend less time out of doors here than I did in the UK because it's either too hot or too wet. So I wouldn't head to Auckland.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Vital, I appreciate that!
michelle

​​​
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I also have experience in both. They are two very, very different countries - NZ is not Australia with cooler weather.

Have you ever been to NZ?

Financially - make sure that jobs in your field in NZ pay something equivalent to what you and your wife make in Australia. There is a reason the migration pattern is mainly the other way, and there are so many NZers in Australia despite the snakes and spiders but not vice versa. You could be in for a major pay cut with simultaneous increase in cost of living if you are not careful. There are a lot of past threads of people asking about competing job offers from both countries and posters going through the various calculations with them, which may be a good reference for you.

Also bear in mind the remoteness and isolation. NZ is not a commuter flight away across the Tasman. Auckland to Melbourne is a four-hour flight - and Singapore is 11 hours away. Auckland is about the size of Adelaide - there are no Sydneys or Brisbanes in New Zealand. Fares to go anywhere can be exorbitant, particularly at school holiday time.

All fine if you like that sort of thing. But in my experience, that remoteness/isolation/wage issue is continually discounted and under-estimated by potential migrants. NZ and Australia are different countries with different ways of doing things and you need to approach it that way, and not as though you are going to Australia-lite. If you approach it as "things will be like they are here, just more outdoorsy" you will be in for a shock.

Good luck.

Last edited by carcajou; Mar 23rd 2019 at 6:07 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.