Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Relatives and Friends reactions to immigration

Relatives and Friends reactions to immigration

Old Jun 25th 2006, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Relatives and Friends reactions to immigration

Had to start this thread off as we have just told the very small amount of whanau that we have that we are on the move again.

What a strange reaction!

When we first came to NZ the reaction from our friends and relatives was very mixed ranging from “Good Luck I know you will make a hit of it” to “I'll give it two weeks and you will be back, mark my words” or some such piffle.

Anyhow when we did go nearly everyone's reaction was of a traitorous kind, the sort of..... “What? You are leaving dear old Blightly for another colonial country?”

Now we are moving to Oz it's happened all over again....”What? You are leaving dear old NZ for another colonial country?”

One relative, apparently, had mentally booked a flight over to see us in September, had not had the courtesy to even mention she was coming over....I suppose it could have been a surprise......but imagine the surprise when she got here!

Oh well, just wanted to know if we are unusually unlucky people of have any others had strange and out of character reactions?
Old Jun 25th 2006, 7:19 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relatives and Friends reactions to immigration

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Had to start this thread off as we have just told the very small amount of whanau that we have that we are on the move again.

What a strange reaction!

When we first came to NZ the reaction from our friends and relatives was very mixed ranging from “Good Luck I know you will make a hit of it” to “I'll give it two weeks and you will be back, mark my words” or some such piffle.

Anyhow when we did go nearly everyone's reaction was of a traitorous kind, the sort of..... “What? You are leaving dear old Blightly for another colonial country?”

Now we are moving to Oz it's happened all over again....”What? You are leaving dear old NZ for another colonial country?”

One relative, apparently, had mentally booked a flight over to see us in September, had not had the courtesy to even mention she was coming over....I suppose it could have been a surprise......but imagine the surprise when she got here!

Oh well, just wanted to know if we are unusually unlucky people of have any others had strange and out of character reactions?
Whats that say about choosing your friends but not your family?

Good luck for the OZ migration.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

pleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nice

I remember that i announced it at work during an internal meeting. The next week people were coming up to me..."When are you moving to Oz?" .."Why Austrailia?"

I never mentioned Aus once!!!
Old Jun 25th 2006, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

All of our friends & family were really supportive & understanding especially our parents who have been fab . Everyone said we were doing the right thing & how brave we were blah blah. Maybe they were glad to see the back of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 26th 2006, 2:43 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We had glad, sad and indifferent reactions when we told our family and friends. The funny thing is the ones that we expected to stay in touch didn't and the ones we didn't ever expect to hear from again have stayed in regular touch.
Nowt funnier than folk
Old Jun 26th 2006, 9:53 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by poppets
All of our friends & family were really supportive & understanding especially our parents who have been fab . Everyone said we were doing the right thing & how brave we were blah blah. Maybe they were glad to see the back of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I doubt they were glad to see the back of you [you sound like a nice person to me]. May they wanted someone else to 'test the water' in NZ before they make the leap too. I think they may have been a little bit jealous though and want to escape Blair's Britain too. Can't blame them really