Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

'Relating well in NZ' course- well worth doing

'Relating well in NZ' course- well worth doing

Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'Relating well in NZ' course- well worth doing

We were advised by our settlement officer in Tauranga that there are monthly courses for new arrivals, these are also advertised in the local papers too.

Having been here 5 months we've just got around to attending one of these courses! They are run by 'Relationship services' for the NZIS for any new arrivals. It was an all day course with a light lunch included- all free. We had talks, group discussions and several worksheets designed to develop our knowledge and skills about the settlement processes.

It was also a very good oprotunity to chat to people from other countries and hear how they have coped with settling in.

We were given a certificate of attendance at the end of the day.

Several of us said we found that it was helpful attending it now, 5 months in, rather than in our first month when we were very busy organising our new life and had quite enough to think about!
I would highly recommend the course
Helen
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:56 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Relating well in NZ' course- well worth doing

I didn't even know there were such things as settlement officers! Sounds like a great course, Helen, glad it was beneficial.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
I didn't even know there were such things as settlement officers! Sounds like a great course, Helen, glad it was beneficial.
yes when we first arrived we had to send a form off to the NZIS settlement officer in Auck/Hamilton? to say where were living etc. We didn't hear anything back so hubby phoned NZIS and asked if it was all ok. Amongst other things they referred us to the settlement officers in Tauranga and we were sent info and course details. All sweet as...
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:06 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
yes when we first arrived we had to send a form off to the NZIS settlement officer in Auck/Hamilton? to say where were living etc. We didn't hear anything back so hubby phoned NZIS and asked if it was all ok. Amongst other things they referred us to the settlement officers in Tauranga and we were sent info and course details. All sweet as...
Interesting! I wonder if that was because you arrived with PR already?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:12 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

and didn't arrive on a tourist visa and stay?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:21 am
Maz

Originally Posted by pascalr
You must be tired of taking pot-shots at me by now, pascal. I've explained what happened with us - all 100% legal and above-board. Yet you still harp on about it. How sad.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

We had PR but there were several people on the course who are still applying for work permits. It was open to anyone.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:24 am
Maz

Originally Posted by helinuk
We had PR but there were several people on the course who are still applying for work permits. It was open to anyone.
Has any of the Welly bunch heard of the NZIS branch in town doing this? I didn't hear a peep about anything like this when we all got our permits.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:27 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz
You must be tired of taking pot-shots at me by now, pascal. I've explained what happened with us - all 100% legal and above-board. Yet you still harp on about it. How sad.
Yet, you can completely berate someone who's actions/methods (of which you know nothing) don't agree with you.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:31 am
Maz

Yet, you can completely berate someone who's actions/methods (of which you know nothing) don't agree with you.
WTF are you blathering on about this time? Where in this thread have I done any berating? Get a grip, pascal. I'm off out to have some fun.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Maz
WTF are you blathering on about this time? Where in this thread have I done any berating? Get a grip, pascal. I'm off out to have some fun.
and where on this thread have i taken a pot shot at you?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

and where on this thread have i taken a pot shot at you?
excuse me you 2 this was started as positive thread
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:42 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

It's good to see that these sort of courses are being offered, sounds well worth it. Hope the idea catches on.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:59 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
Interesting! I wonder if that was because you arrived with PR already?
we have arrived with PR and i contacted our 'settlement office', told them we were in Porirua. They sent us a pack of 'Whats on in Wellington', 'Whats on at Te Papa' , 'whats on at the botanical gardens', a wellington bus timetable and train timetable for the johnsonville line. Oh, and a Porirua bin bag and recycle bag.

I thought it was pretty naff when I could have done with knowing the basics like what is the number for emergency services, an explanation of the ambulance service out here, where to get bin bags, how to use the post office and what do the various postal services mean, and those grey boxes on the side of the road arent poop scoop bins, but letter boxes.

Nothing about any courses or how to settle in.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:25 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dreamfish
we have arrived with PR and i contacted our 'settlement office', told them we were in Porirua. They sent us a pack of 'Whats on in Wellington', 'Whats on at Te Papa' , 'whats on at the botanical gardens', a wellington bus timetable and train timetable for the johnsonville line. Oh, and a Porirua bin bag and recycle bag.

I thought it was pretty naff when I could have done with knowing the basics like what is the number for emergency services, an explanation of the ambulance service out here, where to get bin bags, how to use the post office and what do the various postal services mean, and those grey boxes on the side of the road arent poop scoop bins, but letter boxes.

Nothing about any courses or how to settle in.
oooooooh dear, therein lies a tale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.