Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rejoice! NZ is on the UK green list!

Rejoice! NZ is on the UK green list!

Old May 8th 2021, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rejoice! NZ is on the UK green list!

UK Government has announced a list of all the countries where returning English (other 3 Kingdoms set their own rules) do not have to go through quarantine.
It is being pitched as all the places you can fly to for a holiday.
"
  • Portugal
  • Israel
  • Singapore
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Brunei
  • Iceland
  • Gibraltar
  • Falkland Islands
  • Faroe Islands
  • South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
  • St Helena, Tristan de Cunha, Ascension Island
"
From Green List Countries

Geographers will note that half the list is inaccessible, some don't even have airports, and the further ones require two flights, one of which generally goes through a red/amber list country.
Although Singapore looks a goer.

Still, heartening to know that we can fly to NZ and Oz.
Shame they aren't accepting tourists at the moment.

I think Portugal is going to be the short term winner, with possibly Gibraltar and Iceland as runners up.
Assuming that they will accept English tourists.
Old May 8th 2021, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rejoice! NZ is on the UK green list!

I saw this yesterday and thought it was a joke.
I think it comes down to who will let Brits in, not where will the UK Govt allow them to go. I had a terrible vision of the Benidorm brigade descending on mass on New Zealand. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜†
Old May 8th 2021, 10:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
I saw this yesterday and thought it was a joke.
I think it comes down to who will let Brits in, not where will the UK Govt allow them to go. I had a terrible vision of the Benidorm brigade descending on mass on New Zealand.
Old May 9th 2021, 12:08 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

It's a good idea. ​​​​​​In New Zealand we should be thinking about what our green list criteria will be and what stages we need to go through to reopen travel once everyone in New Zealand [who wants a vaccine] has had one. What intermediate stages will we move through with self-isolation and PCR testing requirements? At what point will those measures be deemed unnecessary and unhindered travel can resume?

Normalisation will require more than just a vaccine delivery. In many ways I'd prefer that reopening where announced far in advance just to make sure people have sufficient time to get both jabs. Also the government need to issue recommendations for people who don't want to be vaccinated (e.g. wearing N95 masks in public, accessing testing and self-isolating if they feel unwell, continuing to use hand sanitisers etc.) That way there will be no room for complacency or complaint as we move forward.

Last edited by Charismatic; May 9th 2021 at 12:16 am.