British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Regional Accent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/regional-accent-516942/)

happynz Feb 25th 2008 2:42 am

Regional Accent

A useless thread for sure, but I was just listening to a McDonalds advert on the TV about the burger chain's sponsorship of youth football in New Zealand. The voice over sounds quite British. If you know the advert could you tell me what region the accent is from?

Yes, info that is completely useless, but I like useless FYI.

Thanks.

Stef_Paul Feb 25th 2008 2:49 am

Re: Regional Accent

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5979398)
A useless thread for sure, but I was just listening to a McDonalds advert on the TV about the burger chain's sponsorship of youth football in New Zealand. The voice over sounds quite British. If you know the advert could you tell me what region the accent is from?

Yes, info that is completely useless, but I like useless FYI.

Thanks.

I can tell you one thing...It ain't from chesterfield mi duck!!! LOL :rofl:

Kiwiprincess Feb 25th 2008 3:07 am

People speak differently throughout the country. I actually can't recall the ad you are talking about and while they all sound decidedly kiwi there are certain variations. I swear teenage girls sound different than how they used to sound. Not just the upward inflection but some weirder upward inflection than usual (think: kiwi version of the american 'valley girl').

and that is not even taking into account the Southlander's who roll their 'R's and the far north inhabitants who sound completely casual and relaxed!!

I suspect, however, that in regards to the advert, if it is a kiwi accent then it is probably simply a person with more received pronounciation.

Recent link:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/thepress/4403001a19743.html
One link:
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411319/1148759

lardyl Feb 25th 2008 3:33 am

Hehe = yes going down the local Maaall seems like you have landed in Val's-ville, CA.
My former boss was really openly annoyed that she had to deal with lots of UK regional accents and could not understand many of them. Suppose we Pomms should learn to speak more slowly..........

dreamfish Feb 25th 2008 5:17 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5979531)
Hehe = yes going down the local Maaall seems like you have landed in Val's-ville, CA.
My former boss was really openly annoyed that she had to deal with lots of UK regional accents and could not understand many of them. Suppose we Pomms should learn to speak more slowly..........

i quite often get blank looks yet I consider to have one of the plainest voices (thanks to years of elocution) with very little accent.

You'd have thought that no accent at all would make perfect sense to anyone!

Hmmm on reflection, maybe its the verbal diarrhea that gets them....

irnbru14 Feb 25th 2008 7:01 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5979531)

Yeah, you pommes really should sort your accents out :rofl:

karonious Feb 25th 2008 7:03 am

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 5979881)
Yeah, you pommes really should sort your accents out :rofl:

Says he with his cut glass Edinburgh accent!! :p

spid Feb 25th 2008 7:40 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 5979885)

ooo, posh!

irnbru14 Feb 25th 2008 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 5979885)

Aye right, ya ken, that'll be shining bright so it will hen, ya ken, by the way... ;)

P18PPS Feb 25th 2008 9:21 pm

Funny story to tell about accents....

shortly after arriving in NZ I needed to buy a fan for our bedroom.... it was early spring and not easy to find in shops, so I was having to go into Noel Leaming etc and ask for "desk fans" repeatedly I kept getting directed to the telephone department of the electrical stores.....??? I then realised that the uk to kiwi accent thingy was being translated to "desk phone". I was determined not to alter my accent in order to be understood in english, but several shops later and still no desk fan (though plenty of desk phones) I was getting rather irritated so found myself asking (through gritted teeth) the shop assistant for "deeesk fins" ahhhh to my amazement I got directed straight away to a huge display of fans!!

Not sure what the point of this reply is, but it keeps me smiling whenever I think of it!

spid Feb 25th 2008 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 5982683)
Not sure what the point of this reply is, but it keeps me smiling whenever I think of it!

Tee hee - me too. :thumbup: