Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Reg Sparky in Christchurch looking for work

Reg Sparky in Christchurch looking for work

Old Dec 8th 2013, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reg Sparky in Christchurch looking for work

Hi .
I wondered if any of you would know of any good companys in Christchurch looking for reg sparkys ?
I know their are lots of jobs on Seek and Trade me . But my OH has been made redundant twice now , due to companys taking him on and the promised contract not coming through. He is understandbly very angry at this happening again around Christmas.
After 3 years here he wonders if we should just go home. But not easy with children whom love it here .

I fear this may be the start of the trade industry here with an influx of trade people coming to help with the rebuild and money not being available to keep them in work
Old Dec 8th 2013, 6:59 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reg Sparky in Christchurch looking for work

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
Hi .
I wondered if any of you would know of any good companys in Christchurch looking for reg sparkys ?
I know their are lots of jobs on Seek and Trade me . But my OH has been made redundant twice now , due to companys taking him on and the promised contract not coming through. He is understandbly very angry at this happening again around Christmas.
After 3 years here he wonders if we should just go home. But not easy with children whom love it here .

I fear this may be the start of the trade industry here with an influx of trade people coming to help with the rebuild and money not being available to keep them in work
Hi yjx1nt7,

Sorry to hear of your husbands situation, it sounds less than ideal.

Have you tried Trade Staff?

http://www.tradestaff.co.nz/need-a-j...l?id=200098344

And Extra Staff?

http://www.extrastaff.co.nz/jobs/vie...ch-new-zealand

I wish you luck and I really hope it works out for you and your family
Old Dec 8th 2013, 9:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The family is in crisis. They came full of hope and have had the most dreadful 2/3 years. Now , they are facing one income again at precisely the wrong time of year when most trade firms go into shut-down

Electricians are on the NZIS long term shortage list , yet her OH has been made redundant twice in the Christchurch area, where we are supposed to believe that there is an even greater need for tradies. So much so that Recruitment agencies are actively seeking to add overseas tradies to their books.

This was my thoughts love, with reference to this thread CANSTAFF. I did raise a bit of a concern about the longevity of the contracts and so the ability to be able to apply for PR. I did also wonder how this influx was going to affect trade employment overall. After all most trades (sparkies excepted) are not in shortage here in NZ. SO, we don't need extra tradies chasing the same amount of jobs and work.

I'm sure your OH will be signing in with the assorted trade agencies . Thing is , for a good trade job offer we both know that sort of job normally comes direct from the trade firm. Word of mouth . Who you know and all that.

The only thing I can think off the top of my head is to contact Opportunity Canterbury.

I do hope someone sees this and knows of a firm looking for a great sparky.

As you say , moving is not easy with children who are settled. He is low and angry now. Not a good time for making huge decisions.
Sparkies are in shortage here though so maybe another area of NZ would be the answer, over a big move to the UK.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 8th 2013 at 9:21 pm. Reason: blummin laptop . ggrr - and my spilling lol
Old Dec 8th 2013, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Would he be happy with South Canterbury???

Alpine Energy are looking for new connections I think. Unfortunately Orion do not have any at the moment

The others I can think of are Fairfax Media and the Airport but whether they are for him is another thing. I'll have a word with a few lads I know at The Press and find out for him - I think it's a night shift though.

I bet you any money City Care are looking - but I bet they are one of the companies that has made him redundant, or one of the agencies (if he worked for any of them)

I'll let you know tomorrow about Fairfax, I won't be seeing them until this evening
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the support . He actually secured a job the next day . He ended with 3 companys offering him jobs from $30 up to $48 an hr .

He did not take the highest paid TBH, as he just wanted the security of a long standing reliable company more.

We both feel that the Christchurch rebuild won t last forever and we fear we will be hearing of lots more people being laid off as the work starts to dwingle.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thanks for the support . He actually secured a job the next day . He ended with 3 companys offering him jobs from $30 up to $48 an hr .

He did not take the highest paid TBH, as he just wanted the security of a long standing reliable company more.

We both feel that the Christchurch rebuild won t last forever and we fear we will be hearing of lots more people being laid off as the work starts to dwingle.
Dwingle? Dwingle bells ?

I am so very pleased to read this. It's a breather you both deserve and now you can relax for the festive season.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 11:05 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Great news for Xmas.

I'm sure you will have a great one.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice

To be honest, I think there's a good few years work ahead of us especially in the commercial sector. Residential is a bit more risky as there's so many one man bands about.

I'm very excited about what the future holds for chch!
Old Dec 16th 2013, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

That's good to hear, the one at Fairfax got gobbled up pretty quickly from what the chaps told me. I didn't see them until the weekend so sorry that it took a while to respond

Now could he do me a favour and tamper with the electrics at southern response or EQC please