Recruitment/ers

Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruitment/ers

Some useful info on here.

I've fired out my CV to various people who have (understandibly) said thanks, but get in touch closer to the time.

I've always been of the view that I'm not moving to NZ to get rich by any means, but with departure from the UK 4 weeks away I am getting a touch edgy about the job situation ...

Mind you, I have planned for and told people I'll be available from August, I suppose it's only April.

Even, still - edgy ...
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Um, not quite sure what was on your mind when you wrote that Tommy ...
Ha, ha!

Tom got my inference, I genuinely though that Hot Chocolate (the band) might be doing a show in NZ around the time I arrive.

Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:53 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we've got all those modern bands like Hot Chocolate playing gigs in NZ, well, except Hot Chocolate themselves.

The Dooby brothers, Rod Stewart, Barry Gibb, Ringo Starr, Elvis Costello, Paul Simon, Boomtown Rats.

In fact, we've got tickets to see Robert Plant. So, there's plenty to keep you entertained if you like music.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Mind you, I have planned for and told people I'll be available from August, I suppose it's only April.

Even, still - edgy ...
You really can't expect businesses over here plan that far ahead. Even next week is a bit far away for most.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah we've got all those modern bands like Hot Chocolate playing gigs in NZ, well, except Hot Chocolate themselves.

The Dooby brothers, Rod Stewart, Barry Gibb, Ringo Starr, Elvis Costello, Paul Simon, Boomtown Rats.

In fact, we've got tickets to see Robert Plant. So, there's plenty to keep you entertained if you like music.
All the music you mention above isn't alien to me. Saw Rod at Twickenham at few years back, he was pretty good.

Spending time in pub as a youngster, as my folk were publicans leads to a pretty eclectic musical taste for a kid born in the 80's
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
You really can't expect businesses over here plan that far ahead. Even next week is a bit far away for most.
True, that.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:19 pm
gcr
Forum Regular

gcr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
True, that.
The only exception to this is the recruitment process. Larger Kiwi companies wait 'til they need someone, then advertise the role, then take weeks to decide who to interview, before taking more time to offer a position. By that time, the requirement has probably gone so they cancel the position and pocket the budget assigned for recruitment.

Actually, that's not unique to NZ...
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:10 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nottsscouse
On a similar vein to the above, what's the employment prospects like in NZ?
I've always said to the wife I'd never go without a job set up (I'm conservative that way) but am thinking bollocks to it, just go.
We could bring about 100k NZ to tide us over and I'm prepared to do anything to get an income.
Unfortunately my experience is all prison service and police.
Can I easily get a job in a bar or supermarket etc just to get an income?
Cheers folks

You would at least need a visa to be eligible to work here, I don't think prison service or police allows you to gain a visa, you would have to double check and you certainly won't get a visa to work in a bar or supermarket.
Does you wife have a career that would enable her to gain a visa and you then come on the back of hers?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:45 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

All the music you mention above isn't alien to me. Saw Rod at Twickenham at few years back, he was pretty good.

Spending time in pub as a youngster, as my folk were publicans leads to a pretty eclectic musical taste for a kid born in the 80's
Well you won't mind the Wellington Ukulele Orchestra or the Seven Irish Tenors then !
Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Well you won't mind the Wellington Ukulele Orchestra or the Seven Irish Tenors then !
As long as the former to a George Formby tribute I'll be happy.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:44 am