British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Recruiters - Your Opinion (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/recruiters-your-opinion-802540/)

TommyLuck Jul 11th 2013 12:24 am

Recruiters - Your Opinion

I have a few jobs in the pipeline and have been asked by a Global Recruitment Consultancy firm in Auckland to consider applying for a role as a Consultant.

I had been working in sales with decent track record in London though I have no experience in recruitment.

What is your opinion of;

a. Recruitment in general?
b. Recruitment in NZ?

I'm impressed with the corporate nature of this company and the opportunity at least rise thought the ranks as well as the training on offer.

What I'm not sure about is going into a very different type of sales in a new country. Perhaps starting afresh in a new country helps, in that I don't have preconceptions held over from the UK?

Your views and opinions will be much appreciated. PM me if you think that would be better.

Cheers,

TL

MrsFychan Jul 11th 2013 7:32 am

Re: Recruiters - Your Opinion

If you feel like a change and think you could do it, why not you have made a huge life change already another little one won't hurt ?

I'd weigh up the others though and write down the pros and cons see which one looks the best, rip that up and go with which one you want.

TommyLuck Jul 11th 2013 8:28 am

You make a compelling point that is already in my pro's column:thumbsup:

qssue Jul 11th 2013 7:10 pm

Don't want to be an annoying contributor... but........ GGGGRRRR I am so annoyed with recruitment agencies, as a quantity surveyor with over 20 years experience, (qualified young!;) ) I was lured by the unethical (in my humble opinion) tactics of the large recruitment agencies. They posted several well paid and interesting jobs that did not exist just to get me on their books. I wasted so much time and effort with this until I found a smallish agency that only dealt with real positions. I understand their reasoning, it is just very frustrating and disheartening from my perspective.
Best of luck with what ever you decide.

TommyLuck Jul 11th 2013 9:04 pm

That's in interesting story ... From a sales perspective I wouldn't be comfortable carrying out this sort of behaviour. I agree with your unethical statement.

Short of getting the odd bit of summer work as a student, I've never had the call to use recruitment agents, so I've not had a great amount of exposure to them.

I am attracted to the corporate nature of this company, as its a similar set up to the company I worked for in th UK in that sense.

Tom1983 Jul 12th 2013 12:34 am

Opinion on Recruitment Agencies

Oh this is going to be good

*grabs popcorn, crate of steinlager pure and awaits Ray and Debbie to post*

Snap Shot Jul 12th 2013 2:17 am

How about not taking the bait ? Would that help ? :D (That's not to say I'm being baited but I just want to prove I can do it sometimes.)

Catchafire Jul 12th 2013 2:36 am

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 10794104)
I have a few jobs in the pipeline and have been asked by a Global Recruitment Consultancy firm in Auckland to consider applying for a role as a Consultant.

I had been working in sales with decent track record in London though I have no experience in recruitment.

What is your opinion of;

b. Recruitment in NZ?

I'm impressed with the corporate nature of this company and the opportunity at least rise thought the ranks as well as the training on offer.

What I'm not sure about is going into a very different type of sales in a new country. Perhaps starting afresh in a new country helps, in that I don't have preconceptions held over from the UK?

Your views and opinions will be much appreciated. PM me if you think that would be better.

Cheers,

TL

I used a recruitment company to get my first job here, only because they were the ones that advertised it.

But the experience was a positive one, my consultant was a expat and took time to explain the NZ work culture, went over likely interview questions and got my CV in a NZ format.

On another point, NZ has a different sales culture than the UK. Laid back is one way of putting it. Kiwi sales people tend to be, pretty unprofessional to be honest. So if you thrived in the UK, you can use that hard driven cold professional approach to sales to really excel.

And still be home by 3pm.

Until you get pissed off, then you start your own business.

TommyLuck Jul 12th 2013 3:28 am

I've got leads through mates here (who you know), through my old business (who you know) and through recruitment companies (some who you know, some what you know).

The who you know culture is very prevalent.

Sure, some of the recruitment companies have been utter guff. But in particular two have bent over backwards for me so far.

Part of me is intrigued as know why recruiters have a less than favourable reputation, on the whole.

The laid back sales approach won't bother me, so much as the laid back client will!!

As for starting my own business, in time my man, in time. I have longer term irons in the fire on that front.

dannigirl Jul 13th 2013 8:57 pm

Recruiters on the whole have a very bad reputation worldwide. It's the "wide boy" image that does it, just like real estate agents are all tarred with the same brush. My OH is in recruitment and he is doing very well for himself (runs his own business).

My OH says most markets are very small, generally recruiters tend to be a bit lazy, 4-5 main players in Auckland (in his field). It is far more relaxed and quick here ( turnover wise), people are less up themselves but you also tend to get some unprofessional recruiters (as you do anywhere). OH could not survive on the NZ market alone, he does Asia and UK still, interestingly enough quite a few kiwi lawyers returning to NZ. Kiwi recruiters tend to only focus on NZ, which is very small, so most "big" recruiters find themselves doing secretarial, admin recruitment which you would not find in the UK. My husband enjoys it but does miss the buzz of London, but it has afforded us a great family lifestyle. Not sure this would be the case in Auckland as he works from home.

His initial experience in NZ was quite bad. He had a job to come to, but it went pear shaped after the boss reneged on agreed conditions. Was positive in hindsight as it pushed him into starting up on his own which has worked out well and so much easier to do here than in the UK.

Charismatic Jul 14th 2013 3:43 am

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 10794104)
b. Recruitment in NZ?

It's a waste of time, recruiters here rarely get exclusivity on positions in New Zealand and most major companies have effective means of directly recruiting anyway (but remember, many positions are still never advertised so don’t ask and you won’t get). Find out who the companies are in your field and contact them directly. If you couldn’t get them into a room for a chat you probably wouldn't get a job anyway TBH.

My own personal experience is more akin to walking over broken glass (to put it politely :().

Wiz'n'Ton Jul 26th 2013 8:31 am

Interesting situation. Having been in the industry for over 13 years (sheesh - that long!) I certainly rate it. I cut my teeth in the uk rail industry, and enjoyed success there. Landed here in 2007 and got a job as a consultant straight off. Has kept a roof over the head ever since. I know many people who are excellent at their work as a consultant and are doing very nicely $ wise.

I fully understand the comments regarding some who have had excellent experiences with recruiters, and others whose experience was so bad they wouldn't piss on the person if they were on fire. I imagine there are those out there who would say both things about me - it's very much a case of not being able to please all the people, all the time.

If you are a salesman, then you are 90% of the way there. Kiwis love dealing with who they know, so it will take time to create your own network, but hard work is also rated highly, and nothing beats the competition like having the perfect candidate for the job. If the firm you are looking at has some preferred supplier agreements to see you over this initial period while you find your feet, so much the better.

All the best with it, if you like people, and enjoy sales, then recruitment is a great industry to be in.

TommyLuck Jul 27th 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 10819948)
Interesting situation. Having been in the industry for over 13 years (sheesh - that long!) I certainly rate it. I cut my teeth in the uk rail industry, and enjoyed success there. Landed here in 2007 and got a job as a consultant straight off. Has kept a roof over the head ever since. I know many people who are excellent at their work as a consultant and are doing very nicely $ wise.

I fully understand the comments regarding some who have had excellent experiences with recruiters, and others whose experience was so bad they wouldn't piss on the person if they were on fire. I imagine there are those out there who would say both things about me - it's very much a case of not being able to please all the people, all the time.

If you are a salesman, then you are 90% of the way there. Kiwis love dealing with who they know, so it will take time to create your own network, but hard work is also rated highly, and nothing beats the competition like having the perfect candidate for the job. If the firm you are looking at has some preferred supplier agreements to see you over this initial period while you find your feet, so much the better.

All the best with it, if you like people, and enjoy sales, then recruitment is a great industry to be in.

Cheers for this.

I've got to say that the recruitment company I'm talking to make a very attractive proposition as an employer.

I've now spoken to the full management team and the MD, who to all intents and purposes said a job offer will be made after I speak to the Australasia wide MD.

jmh Jul 28th 2013 9:12 am

If you are approaching someone for a job (employer or recruitment consultant) try and get to see them face to face. I advise clients on job hunting and the ones that get the best service are those who actually meet with the consultant in person.

TommyLuck Jul 28th 2013 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 10822859)
If you are approaching someone for a job (employer or recruitment consultant) try and get to see them face to face. I advise clients on job hunting and the ones that get the best service are those who actually meet with the consultant in person.

Which is exactly my story of the last 4 weeks.