Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Recommended Reading?

Recommended Reading?

Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:39 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommended Reading?

Really a light weight thread in the general scheme of things.

However I am sad bookworm type and have myreading material for the journey sorted, it is;

Duncan Bannatyne - anyone can do it
Trump - the way to the top
Trump - think like a billionaire
Lori lansens - the girls (halfway through this is genius)

For hubby we have

Jeremy Clarkson - born to be riled

Anyone recommend anything else and also for

14.5 yr old girl
12 yr old girl
8 yr old boy
4 yr old girl (joke!!)
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:17 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recommended Reading?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Really a light weight thread in the general scheme of things.

However I am sad bookworm type and have myreading material for the journey sorted, it is;

Duncan Bannatyne - anyone can do it
Trump - the way to the top
Trump - think like a billionaire
Lori lansens - the girls (halfway through this is genius)

For hubby we have

Jeremy Clarkson - born to be riled

14.5 yr old girl
12 yr old girl
8 yr old boy
4 yr old girl (joke!!)
I've just read the series of books by Mia Dolan about her life as a 'clairvoyant' her book 'the gift' is just brilliant IMO.

Ben Elton books are also very good
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

How about the "dark materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman for the older four of you? Will keep you busy during the long trip.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:22 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
Ben Elton books are also very good
His book "Gridlock" is brilliant! It will make you not miss UK traffic jams at all.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:51 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
His book "Gridlock" is brilliant! It will make you not miss UK traffic jams at all.
Haven't read "Gridlock" but love all his others except his one before the latest "Chart Throb" absolutely cack. "Dead Famous" and "High Society" were good.

12 year old girl boffin - wants to read "Lovely Bones" I'm not sure it's appropriate?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:29 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
How about the "dark materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman for the older four of you? Will keep you busy during the long trip.
Another vote for Philip Pullman, great stuff. Also anything by Garth Nix - the Abhorsen trilogy is very good.
I quite enjoyed Artemis Fowl and the sequels - bit daft but fun.
I usually read scifi but I've been reading a few travel books recently.
Around Ireland With a Fridge is good, and also McCarthy's bar, Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure Anything by Peter Moore. Bill Bryson is good too.

Last edited by RobClubley; Mar 26th 2007 at 1:31 am. Reason: typo
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:04 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Peter Biddlecombe: French Lessons in Africa

Very very highly recommended. I was given this book years ago by my parents. It's the musings of a francophone English businessman who travels in French Africa. It helps to know a tiny smattering of French, but it's not obligatory. You can dip in to this chapter by chapter. His accounts of daily life in those parts of Africa and his tales of doing business there are really interesting.

How about the Rama series by Arthur C Clarke? Will keep an older occupied for DAYS!

4-year old girl? Never too late to start them off on the "Dick and Jane" series. My daughter started learning to read with those. She's now 5 1/2 and is a pretty proficient reader, far above what is required in US pre-schools (she doesn't go to full-time school here until she's nearly 7!!! )
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:05 am
Maz

Haven't read "Gridlock" but love all his others except his one before the latest "Chart Throb" absolutely cack. "Dead Famous" and "High Society" were good.

12 year old girl boffin - wants to read "Lovely Bones" I'm not sure it's appropriate?
Heh... Gridlock is the only one of his I've read! Not a big reader, but will plough through a Tolkien series in a matter of a few weeks.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:07 am
Maz

14.5 yr old girl
Marion Zimmer Bradley: The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley: The Forest House

Both gripping stories, will fire the imagination. The Mists of Avalon is about the Arthurian legend, written from the woman's point of view. Morgan de Fey (the Lady Morgana, Arthur's half-sister) isn't a witch in this one, but is an apprentice to the Lady of the Lake. Very compelling reading. I did a really good job of ignoring my boyfriend at college when we went camping for a week, as I had this with me and pretty much spent all my time reading it.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Our 8 year old loves Goosebumps - RL Stine, Captain Underpants - Dav Pilkey (as does Danny). Danny also recommends Bill Bryson (not to 8 year old). Is 12 year old to grown up for Series of Unfortunate Events? Probably if she wants to read Lovely Bones". Alternatively let them pick their own in the airport bookshop - it miht kill 10 minutes of time?