British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Recommended bank in NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/recommended-bank-nz-902148/)

CatLady1234 Aug 18th 2017 6:54 pm

Recommended bank in NZ?

Hi there,

I need to set up an account with a bank in NZ. I will be in Christchurch. I am moving from the UK in 2 weeks, and just wondered if anyone can recommend a good bank? There are a few it seems to choose from.

Many thanks.

MrsFychan Aug 18th 2017 8:18 pm

Re: Recommended bank in NZ?

there much a muchness to be honest, just check out the fees as that's where they may differ. We are with ANZ for day to day, have used them for mortgage as well but now have mortgage with ASB, also have a small Kiwibank account and Credit card is ANZ as it was a year free when I took the mortgage out and got some deal on insurance from it.

escapedtonz Aug 20th 2017 8:16 am

We opened accounts online with ANZ from the UK. We also got the offer code which increased the baggage allowance for our flights to NZ so long as we booked through Emirates.
Stayed with ANZ for the first 5 years without any issues. It was only when we came to buying land and building a house did they fail so we moved across to BNZ and also have a Kiwibank savings account.
You will find they're all pretty much very similar for everyday banking stuff. All have good online facilities to manage accounts and all have smartphone apps that work well.

Ria_ Aug 21st 2017 9:52 am

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12320705)
We opened accounts online with ANZ from the UK. We also got the offer code which increased the baggage allowance for our flights to NZ so long as we booked through Emirates.
Stayed with ANZ for the first 5 years without any issues. It was only when we came to buying land and building a house did they fail so we moved across to BNZ and also have a Kiwibank savings account.
You will find they're all pretty much very similar for everyday banking stuff. All have good online facilities to manage accounts and all have smartphone apps that work well.

Do you have a link to more information about the ANZ/Emirates migration packages? I only saw the increased baggage allowance for Qantas, not Emirates, but I'd like to keep flight options open.

escapedtonz Aug 22nd 2017 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Ria_ (Post 12321193)
Do you have a link to more information about the ANZ/Emirates migration packages? I only saw the increased baggage allowance for Qantas, not Emirates, but I'd like to keep flight options open.

No sorry.
You'd be best to get in touch with an ANZ branch and ask the question whether they still provide the Emirates code for new account customers, or ask a question on the website/Facebook page.

Pretty good deal, but for it to work you need to book a through route all the way to NZ. So for example you would have to book London to Auckland per person, even though that trip may be London to Dubai, Dubai to Sydney then Sydney to Auckland - i.e. you can't book it as separate flights and have stop offs along the way.