Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Received a bill (import tax) from TNT following the return of my documents....

Received a bill (import tax) from TNT following the return of my documents....

Old Jan 29th 2018, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Mickwick is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Received a bill (import tax) from TNT following the return of my documents....

Was a little surprised to open a letter from TNT this morning which turned out to be a bill for £85.91 regarding import duty on the package I received from INZ with my documents in at the end of December!!!!

Clearly there's some error (although explaining to TNT that I haven't imported any goods wasn't as straight forward as it sounds) but wondered if anyone had come across anything similar??

Last edited by Mickwick; Jan 29th 2018 at 9:42 am. Reason: missing word in title
Old Jan 29th 2018, 6:15 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Received a bill (import tax) from TNT following the return of my documents....

that seems rather odd, what was the parcel marked up as?
Old Jan 29th 2018, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Received a bill (import tax) from TNT following the return of my documents....

It just said documents....there's reference to the parcel being worth $600 NZD.....I'd rather not lose some old bank statements and my birth certificate but they're not that valuable
Old Jan 29th 2018, 8:37 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger. Assuming you now have the parcel that might be difficult to argue after delivery (when you could have swapped the contents). You may have to mark that down as an Immigration New Zealand Random Event Tax :-(
Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Bugger. Assuming you now have the parcel that might be difficult to argue after delivery (when you could have swapped the contents). You may have to mark that down as an Immigration New Zealand Random Event Tax :-(
I think the weight of the package should be a give away?

The issue will be TNT working as an agent for customs

I would just maintain the $600 was for insurance purposes (to allow for cost of replacing documents).
Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:42 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland
I think the weight of the package should be a give away?

The issue will be TNT working as an agent for customs

I would just maintain the $600 was for insurance purposes (to allow for cost of replacing documents).
Maybe but I'd imagine customs want the value to be the value so it wouldn't surprise me if they don't stick to their guns on it...
Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

TNT stink.
Stick to your guns and tell those blighters that there is no fee to pay and then complain to NZIS about this.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Jon.B is an unknown quantity at this point

I read this thread yesterday and received a bill from TNT this morning. I'm guessing these are due to the visa processing being done in NZ now and everyone will be receiving them now.

I called them to explain that these weren't goods being imported so no VAT is due. The documentation shows 'marriage and birth certificate' with a value of NZD450/£232.19.

They have loggem by query and say I will receive an email response within 12 working days.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

I called TNT and got the same response. Surely INZ need to do something to rectify this.....it's not like we're not parting with enough money in the process already! The bottom line is we're not importing goods!

Anything I've had a bill for in the past has always been prior to delivery so it seems odd to get a bill a month after the documents arrived.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Not sure why this thread has been moved when it's directly linked with the visa application process and INZ??? Apologies if I've misunderstood how the forum works.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:13 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Jon.B
I read this thread yesterday and received a bill from TNT this morning. I'm guessing these are due to the visa processing being done in NZ now and everyone will be receiving them now.

I called them to explain that these weren't goods being imported so no VAT is due. The documentation shows 'marriage and birth certificate' with a value of NZD450/£232.19.

They have loggem by query and say I will receive an email response within 12 working days.
The charge probably fits right in with UK Customs policy, after all a bearer bond or cashiers bank cheque is just a document but with an absolute value.

The problem is Immigration NZ putting a significant value on them that is incorrect.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Update: I received a credit note for the full amount of the invoice in the mail from TNT today.
I never did get the promised email response but the credit note arrived in about 4 weeks so that's the important thing.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon.B
Update: I received a credit note for the full amount of the invoice in the mail from TNT today.
I never did get the promised email response but the credit note arrived in about 4 weeks so that's the important thing.

What use is a credit note. They should be giving you the money back.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 10:37 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I always think its a form of theft when duty is charged on the cost of goods plus freight plus insurance, but this is invariably what they do... imagine it here - cigarettes are 300% duty from outside the caribbean - but seemingly almost duty free when made here. I dont smoke, but its interesting. A second hand car over 4 years old is shipped in for 1500, add charges then tax it at 110% - this makes a 500 us dollar car imported have a value of about 4500 minimum.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by escapedtonz

What use is a credit note. They should be giving you the money back.
I never considered paying the invoice as it was bogus. The credit note just lets me know that they agree and I won't be chased for payment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.