Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Reccy advice needed!

Reccy advice needed!

Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all
Default Reccy advice needed!

Hi Folks,

Thankyou so much I regularly pop in to keep myself updated!

Our situation is that we are awaiting our residancy visas and I have a job working in west auckland ( they are holding it for me until april 2010)

My family : me, hubby and two little girls aged 5 and 6 are coming out in Oct/Nov for 3 weeks for a reccy.

My considerations are:
1 - visiting employers - making sure it is the job for me
2 - If so looking at possible rentals for now in north shore - titirangi areas

However, I dont want the job to determine the place we live so we also want to look around and if so i will pick up work in the south if we feel the area suits our family better. I do have to be realistic though, I recognise that recession is everywhere are the fact i have already bagged a well paid post with relocation costs in difficult times is a major consideration!

I would love to hear from you if you have any advice about what infact we should do whilst we are over, I still want it to be fun for the girls!
In the first week we plan to say with friends on the north shore for a few days and meet my prospective employers then the world is our oyster!

Anthing you wished you had done? or shouldn't have done? I would love to know - we thought we may even get a motor home and hit the road???

I would love your advice, even any homework you think i should do before hand????? places etc? or if anyone knows of any decent places to live with a short comute to west auckland and great schools???????
thanks
alison
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:16 am
Just Joined

liverbird1968 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reccy advice needed!

Hi forshy,

Good luck with the residency visas. We're just starting the process now and are very excited.

We did a campervan holiday in August and absolutely loved it. In fact would say it was the best way to see New Zealand. The freedom and scenery were amazing. We joined "Top 10" campsites before we left (cost 40 NZdollars), but got lots of discounts on trips etc (got 10% off each night stay at their parks so got our money back easily). The sites were clean and they had children's play areas, and the pool was open in many, even though it was low season. They seemed to be quite near main towns too so we could walk or take a short drive to places. We did see lots of other campsites along the way so you have plenty of choice if you wanted to go somewhere there was no Top 10. Towns over there seem to cater for motorhomes with bigger parking spaces and of course the roads are not as busy. Only traffic jams we came across were in Auckland (and that was because we happened to get there at peak drive time! )

We started off in Christchurch then went down to Dunedin and then across to Te Anau, Queenstown Wanaka, Franz Josef, Greymouth, Nelson, Picton. Next time want to spend more time on South Island - we had 16 days and it just didn't seem enough. We then travelled to North Island on the Interisland ferry and worked our way up (via Lower Hutt, Napier, Taupo, Rotorua) to Auckland. Did see a little of Northland too but ran out of time.

Campervan itself was great and we ended up preferring to cook our own meals, sharing a bottle (or two ) looking out at the scenery before the sun went down. Our last night was lovely walking along the beach at Orere. It would be lovely to do it all over again. It was our first experience of a motorhome holiday but how would be back there in a flash if we could.

We went with Gateway Motor Homes (http://www.motorhomehire.co.nz/) and had no problems and would not have any hesitation recommending them. Guy called Roger and his wife run it. He was very friendly and even included courtesy transfer to our hotel.

Hope this helps and you have a great time.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by liverbird1968
Hi forshy,

Good luck with the residency visas. We're just starting the process now and are very excited.

We did a campervan holiday in August and absolutely loved it. In fact would say it was the best way to see New Zealand. The freedom and scenery were amazing. We joined "Top 10" campsites before we left (cost 40 NZdollars), but got lots of discounts on trips etc (got 10% off each night stay at their parks so got our money back easily). The sites were clean and they had children's play areas, and the pool was open in many, even though it was low season. They seemed to be quite near main towns too so we could walk or take a short drive to places. We did see lots of other campsites along the way so you have plenty of choice if you wanted to go somewhere there was no Top 10. Towns over there seem to cater for motorhomes with bigger parking spaces and of course the roads are not as busy. Only traffic jams we came across were in Auckland (and that was because we happened to get there at peak drive time! )

We started off in Christchurch then went down to Dunedin and then across to Te Anau, Queenstown Wanaka, Franz Josef, Greymouth, Nelson, Picton. Next time want to spend more time on South Island - we had 16 days and it just didn't seem enough. We then travelled to North Island on the Interisland ferry and worked our way up (via Lower Hutt, Napier, Taupo, Rotorua) to Auckland. Did see a little of Northland too but ran out of time.

Campervan itself was great and we ended up preferring to cook our own meals, sharing a bottle (or two ) looking out at the scenery before the sun went down. Our last night was lovely walking along the beach at Orere. It would be lovely to do it all over again. It was our first experience of a motorhome holiday but how would be back there in a flash if we could.

We went with Gateway Motor Homes (http://www.motorhomehire.co.nz/) and had no problems and would not have any hesitation recommending them. Guy called Roger and his wife run it. He was very friendly and even included courtesy transfer to our hotel.

Hope this helps and you have a great time.
sounds great! thanks for that!
Old Sep 20th 2009, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

PatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the rough

we're also going for a reccy trip in October/November with our 1 year old. we've hired a motorhome through apollo motorhomes, and are really looking forward to our first motorhome holiday. From research, it appears to be a good way of seeing the country.

Good luck with the job employers and hope you find a nice place to stay! xx
Old Sep 21st 2009, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PatLiz
we're also going for a reccy trip in October/November with our 1 year old. we've hired a motorhome through apollo motorhomes, and are really looking forward to our first motorhome holiday. From research, it appears to be a good way of seeing the country.

Good luck with the job employers and hope you find a nice place to stay! xx
thanks........................ our paths may cross!
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

banjax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by forshy
thanks........................ our paths may cross!
We will be there in Nov/Dec with our 2year old.