British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Recce Trip / When to visit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/recce-trip-when-visit-628713/)

AlphaTangoMike Sep 2nd 2009 7:35 am

Recce Trip / When to visit?

Hey all,

I've been reading all of the threads on this forum for about a year now. My wife and I are planning to emigrate to NZ within the next 2 years. (Depending on a job offer in the IT field).

We were relocated from London to Singapore (one step closer!) and as a result, it's a lot easier (not necessarily cheaper) to visit NZ.

So we'd like to spend 3 weeks in NZ (rental car and finding places to stay along the way).

The rough plan is to fly into Auckland, spend a few days (maybe 3) visiting friends and looking around, picking up a hire car and then drive down the North Island, (need to spend a few days in Wellington to look around, possibly even have a few interviews if I can set any up). Ferry to South Island to have a look around and then possibly fly back to Auckland or out from Christchurch.

So if anyone has any suggestions for "must see" places or places we should stay at / eat at, that would be great. :thumbup:

I know that there is a lot to see in NZ, would 3 weeks be sufficient for both North and South Islands or is it worthwhile doing the North only until we have more time to tour? (Most likely to find work in either Auckland or Wellington).

And the last question (sorry for dragging on a bit), when would be the best time of year to visit? We were thinking of late May next year?

Thanks for the help!

127luton Sep 2nd 2009 10:31 am

Re: Recce Trip / When to visit?

Originally Posted by NZDreaming (Post 7896344)
Hey all,

I've been reading all of the threads on this forum for about a year now. My wife and I are planning to emigrate to NZ within the next 2 years. (Depending on a job offer in the IT field).

We were relocated from London to Singapore (one step closer!) and as a result, it's a lot easier (not necessarily cheaper) to visit NZ.

So we'd like to spend 3 weeks in NZ (rental car and finding places to stay along the way).

The rough plan is to fly into Auckland, spend a few days (maybe 3) visiting friends and looking around, picking up a hire car and then drive down the North Island, (need to spend a few days in Wellington to look around, possibly even have a few interviews if I can set any up). Ferry to South Island to have a look around and then possibly fly back to Auckland or out from Christchurch.

So if anyone has any suggestions for "must see" places or places we should stay at / eat at, that would be great. :thumbup:

I know that there is a lot to see in NZ, would 3 weeks be sufficient for both North and South Islands or is it worthwhile doing the North only until we have more time to tour? (Most likely to find work in either Auckland or Wellington).

And the last question (sorry for dragging on a bit), when would be the best time of year to visit? We were thinking of late May next year?

Thanks for the help!

There is soo much to see in New Zealand, we recently went over for 4 weeks and obviously went in the good weather time of Feb - its was just gorgeous- you need to see the big kauri tree (forgot name of place -google it) and the bay of islands is stunning. I personally went to the South island in winter time and that was awesome ... just out of this world .. beautiful glaciers, rivers and mountains etc.. theres so many wonderful places to visit and im sure you will love it.. (others will post with lots of suggestions)
Take care
Berni
xx

Cadibel Sep 2nd 2009 6:36 pm

Hey all,

Thanks for the help!

Hi there,

We have just got back from 4 weeks and had a fab time! We only managed to do the North isalnd though - so maybe save the South for a hol when you're in NZ?

We went in July/ August 'cos we wanted to see how cold/ wet it could get in the depths of winter and were pleasantly surprised (plus 'cos we're teachers and those were our hols;))

I would recommend staying in the holiday parks around NZ - there are loads of these - Kiwi, Top 10, Family Parks and these were all very reasonably priced plus VERY clean! It was good to have the self-catering option available there too, as it was more like living there - doing the shopping etc, iykwim.

Places to visit - Rotorua, Paihia, Bay of Plenty, Waitomo - and Matamata if you're a Lord of the Rings Fan!

Enjoy! (Am v. jealous now!)

MnB Sep 2nd 2009 10:30 pm

Hey all,

Thanks for the help!

Hi there!
Just really reiterating OP's comments .... both our visits to NZ (4 & 5wks) were spent travelling around North Island, we are saving South Is for our holiday when we make the perm move:thumbsup: Several NZ locals commented that was good not to see us trying to cram both Islands into our visits cause those that do often end up weary travellers, too tired to enjoy NZ!

Places to visit....all those previously mentioned plus Tairua and the Coromandel, The Far North - Doubtless Bay, Hokianga Harbour. Its all good!

When to go....We went in Nov-Dec and Feb-March ...avoiding peak time in NZ so accom. easy to find, nothing pre booked apart from time spent with friends in Wellington (must visit!) and Tauranga (another must!)

HTH ... enjoy! and I'll join the envious team on this one!!
B x

zoglet Sep 3rd 2009 1:07 am

Hi

The OH and I came out here last Nov for a 3 week recce. We found it really worthwhile as you can take in a lot more information than you can from abroad. I would suggest you focus your time around any areas you have identified as being likely places to work/live. One thing we did learn is that a 'recce' is nto a holiday, its something different to that!

Also, keep lists of the costs of EVERYTHING you buy, rent, etc- this will be useful for budgeting later.

Oh yeah -have funtoo! :)

Enjoy!

AlphaTangoMike Sep 3rd 2009 2:59 am

Wow, I'm amazed at all of the friendly and helpful replies. (I'm a regular on other forums - not NZ related and people there are bitter and cynical. - Perhaps another good reason for our move to NZ).

Based on what you're saying, I think it's maybe a good idea to just stick to the North Island on this trip. It will save some time and let us focus more on potential work locations.

NZ4Now Sep 3rd 2009 5:21 am

Hi

I would suggest coming Feb/March as the weather should be great at that time of year :thumbup:

lapsed kiwi Sep 3rd 2009 5:36 am

Agree with the above
Don't leave it until late May - a bit of a dreary time of year with short days. Feb and March are great, and out of the school holidays so will be quiet

zoglet Sep 3rd 2009 8:19 pm

About the weather.

Another way of viewing it is if you come when the weather is at its 'worst'- you are not deluding yourself about what it will be like when that time roles around again. After all, your planningonliving here right?

Having said that we moved out of the UK at the end of winter and straight into autumn out here. Having now spent 2 winters back to back- I can not tell you how much I am looking forward to summer! :)