Recce Trip ideas

Old Jul 10th 2011, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

claret73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recce Trip ideas

Hi
Looking at getting over at some point & feel that the best way to get the mileage to see lots of places would be via a camper van/mobile home...

Need to do this as Cheaply! as I can. Any suggestions if you did the same thing as to flights/companies or other means to get around/places to stay without splashing out 1000's of pounds...

May have an option of going to Brisbane first with my Mate when he goes back & then making a trip of it over to NZ?...
Thanks
Andy
Old Jul 10th 2011, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of
Default Re: Recce Trip ideas

The camper van oprion may not be the best or cheapest option. You won't be allowed to just park up at the roadside overnight so you will need to use campsites. Once at the campsite, you will be pretty much stuck there otherwise you will need to unhook everything to go exploring.

Hiring a car should be much cheaper and with the cash saved you would have 2 options if using a campsite. Either invest in a tent or rent a cabin (usually a shed with a bed but sometimes a bit more upmarket) on the campsite.

That way you can get set up for the night and take off in the car to explore the surrounding area. The campsites are pretty well set up for people using a tent in terms of having good kitchen/communal areas. When we done it there appeared to be 2 main campsite franchises: Top Ten and Kiwi Parks. There didn't appear to be much difference in them, just check them both out when you get to a town.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice! I did consider the backpacking option but could throw in a car, split a tent between my Mate & be more flexible...I'll look at the cost options of rental & the names you mention.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

As Leither says you can't just stop on the roadside now so hire something cheaper like a Toyota Corolla and stay in cabins at a camp site (aka holiday park). Depending on the camp site you get a basic cabin (shed with bunks and maybe a fridge/kettle), delux cabin with cooking facilities, self contained cabin (cooking + ensuite loo/shower) or even motel unit (fully serviced, linen included etc).
What you save on the van hire should easily cover the cabin costs.
John.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice

hi,
Which island are you thinking about and when do you hope to come over?

Winter time here now and beginning to get cold, so camping in the south island may be out until sept or oct.

Loads of work in chch over the next 5-10 years with the rebuild and if you have a truck licence or a trade you can pick up work fairly easily. There are loads of houses that need to be fixed up and probably as may to be built.

Look on www.trademe.co.nz for jobs or in "the press" on a wednesday or saturday. but most of the jobs will come for asking around and will want you to start almost straight away.

The biggest problem may be finding accommodation so you may need to be flexible. eg house share, flatting,etc
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:11 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it just for you or you and a mate? Campervan I mean?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gozzy
hi,
Which island are you thinking about and when do you hope to come over?

Winter time here now and beginning to get cold, so camping in the south island may be out until sept or oct.

Loads of work in chch over the next 5-10 years with the rebuild and if you have a truck licence or a trade you can pick up work fairly easily. There are loads of houses that need to be fixed up and probably as may to be built.

Look on www.trademe.co.nz for jobs or in "the press" on a wednesday or saturday. but most of the jobs will come for asking around and will want you to start almost straight away.

The biggest problem may be finding accommodation so you may need to be flexible. eg house share, flatting,etc
I was hoping it would be possible to do a BIG! Road trip & get to both Islands over time??? I'm an Electrician's Mate in UK so hoping I can get part qualified work that I can work towards full NZ Qualifications?...Need to look at accommodation for the long term but really I need to sort out if my job is going to allow me to get over first...
Thanks for your reply.
Andy
Old Jul 11th 2011, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Is it just for you or you and a mate? Campervan I mean?
Well, I'm not sure? I haven't put the idea to him yet but he may go for it before he has to knuckle down again in OZ with his Business. So could be just me, could be 2?...