Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Recce in Napier...

Recce in Napier...

Old Dec 4th 2011, 8:24 pm
Hello World!

anthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recce in Napier...

Last week-end (3-4 Dec) I went to Napier for a short recce trip. I arrived there around 3.00 pm and I found out that the town centre was quite busy with a "lot" of people and children.

But after the 5.00 pm the town appeared empty, desolated...nobody on the streets (apart from some teenagers with their skateboards or elderly couples).

And when the night came, the town appeared quite depressing. For instance, at "The Rose" Irish Pub (I suppose it is the best pub in town) there were just few locals, maximum 10-15 people in a venue that can accomodate over 100 people!

And the situation in the other places was not different. Restaurants and bars closed or semi-deserted. My beloved Bradwell-on-sea, Essex is far more crowded than Napier!!! ()

I walked around the town until midnight, it looked like a ghost town! Where are the 52,000 inhabitants? What people do during the weekend??? Where is the famous NZ lifestyle? For god's sake it's almost summer!

I came to Napier because I am looking for a good location (in term of business opportunities and lifestyle balance) to establish an IT business. Could the town be good for a Computer repair business? Comments are very appreciated!
Old Dec 4th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recce in Napier...

Originally Posted by anthony1972
Last week-end (3-4 Dec) I went to Napier for a short recce trip. I arrived there around 3.00 pm and I found out that the town centre was quite busy with a "lot" of people and children.

But after the 5.00 pm the town appeared empty, desolated...nobody on the streets (apart from some teenagers with their skateboards or elderly couples).

And when the night came, the town appeared quite depressing. For instance, at "The Rose" Irish Pub (I suppose it is the best pub in town) there were just few locals, maximum 10-15 people in a venue that can accomodate over 100 people!

And the situation in the other places was not different. Restaurants and bars closed or semi-deserted. My beloved Bradwell-on-sea, Essex is far more crowded than Napier!!! ()

I walked around the town until midnight, it looked like a ghost town! Where are the 52,000 inhabitants? What people do during the weekend??? Where is the famous NZ lifestyle? For god's sake it's almost summer!

I came to Napier because I am looking for a good location (in term of business opportunities and lifestyle balance) to establish an IT business. Could the town be good for a Computer repair business? Comments are very appreciated!
They're all at home drinking booze from the supermarket Our local pub will shut at 8.30 if there are not enough punters!!!
What is the "Famous NZ Lifestyle"?
Re computer business, there are quite a few around already, Google it for Hawkes Bay & you'll see what I mean.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

Anthony
I fear you were looking in the wrong places, the pubs near the harbour such as the Thirsty Whale, Shed 2 etc are always quite busy during the day and become nightclubs in the evening. All other pubs such as the duke of Gloucester in Taradale all shut early if their are no punters. Most pubs and restaurants on a friday night are only busy from 5-8 when most of the locals drift off home

We soon got use to the town shops also shutting if its not busy its just the way it is. The lifestyle is what you make it if you want clubs and 24/7 bars then Napier isn't the place for you. But for somewhere that is clean, safe, great for the family, good beaches nearby, miles and miles of cycle tracks / longboard tracks and some very pleasant wineries then its the place to come just dont expect it to be open all night.

As regards to computer repair business that are quite a few, the little high street in Taradale has two repair business already.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 10:46 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

just back from a weekend with friends in Napier, went to Billy Burkes in Taradale, was busy till 1 am when we left.

and yes by the harbour the gin trap and along their at night is busy and great atmosphere.

i love Napier but if your looking for real good nightlife well it will be Wellington
Old Dec 4th 2011, 11:00 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Another reason I think Napier and Hawkes bay is a lovely place to live, you dont get hardly anyone posting alot on BE from that area, too busy enjoying life i guess.

Old Dec 4th 2011, 11:41 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Recce in Napier...

Agreed, I Napier. Try it again Anthony1972 and go to a few different places.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:41 am
Hello World!

anthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond reputeanthony1972 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely in every place even the smallest one there is life and reasons for "enjoying life". I would not like to be stuck in my house boozing all week-end or being forced to eat like hens between 5.00 and 8.00 pm because after that hour the only option would be KFC, Burger King or a fake italian pizzeria like Antonio's.

It is strange that I was been in the town centre, walked 2 kms on the promenade and I have not seen anything about the life you mentioned in your posts.

Usually you can find a lot of life along the beach area and in the centre and less in the inner town. If the promenade is a desert during the summer (almost). What will it be during the winter...suicide?

Definitely, I would go for Auckland with all the pros and cons of a big city.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions, very appreciated!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

We recently spent the weekend camping in Napier - there were plenty of people (and noise!) at the Top Ten holiday park.

We went with kids so didn't try the night life, but by the looks of it I think Ahuriri is the evening place for bars etc. http://www.thethirstywhale.co.nz/

We found the promenade and beach area very quiet too, maybe it's the lack of decent beach?

Have you tried Wellington? It's got a fabulous sea front area, plenty of bars/restaurants etc both at the front and in the town. It's also got the man-made beaches at Oriental Parade which is in walking distance of the CBD.

It's a far more compact city than Auckland but IMHO has a lot more character and appeal. Of course it'll have more work opportunities than Napier too.

At least you've made the right decision to do a reccie before settling, we did the same thing three years ago and was well worth the money as places can be different in the flesh to their tourist brochures. Living somewhere all year is very different to a holiday as you have found with picturing what Napier is like during the winter, although the weather is great there for most of the year.

Good luck in deciding where suits you.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I've stayed in Napier as a tourist twice for more than one night. I couldn't believe how deserted it gets so soon after the shops close at 5pm. If you want nightlife Wellington is reputed to be even better than Auckland. More stuff open on Sundays too.
The sea is also not safe for swimming in Napier Town Centre I understand. So it's cute enough with all the art deco stuff but I don't think I could live there. I have trouble with Wellington being unexciting though so I am quite hard to please.
I am happy in smallish UK seaside town though as other places are so close by. Napier has even more downmarket Hastings very close and then you are in No Man's Land on the state highway for hours in both directions pretty much.
No idea on the computer bit.

I stayed in Ahuriri once which is at the port end of town and that had more restaurants open later but compared to Wellington there still weren't very many.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:19 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

My rellies in NZ have told me ....if you are city minded and rely on entertainment being made for you don't come as here you have to make your own. So I suppose it will be different to London?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Definitely, I would go for Auckland with all the pros and cons of a big city.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions, very appreciated!
Hi,

I live in Auckland (Mission Bay) Google it to see what it has to offer. 7km from CBD & plenty of life, restaurants, cafes & art deco cinema.

Life in NZ & Australia is very different, we lived in Europe for 2 years & often went out with friends to eat at 11pm- down under most last orders would be taken before 9pm & establishments closed before midnight or earlier weeknights. Speaking from experience here I had restaurants in AU for 15 years & our most popular time for dinner bookings was 7pm & 7.30pm even on Saturday nights!