Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Recce advice please

Recce advice please

Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Recce advice please

hi H,
we did our recce in campervan nd it was great, we pre booked our sites which we found useful as it helped us to plan where exactly we wanted to go. It also meant we didn't have to keep re packing with each move. We used the top 10 parks and they were all great, washing machines, spas in some of them, pools in some, cooking facilities, TV rooms etc, although we did eat out a lot or eat in the van. I did get cabin fever one night and insist on staying in a hotel, otherwise OK. If you go in a campervan do not take cases as there is limited storage, you need soft bags that you can fold away. we came in October so can't comment on April. Good luck
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf
hi H,
we did our recce in campervan nd it was great, we pre booked our sites which we found useful as it helped us to plan where exactly we wanted to go. It also meant we didn't have to keep re packing with each move. We used the top 10 parks and they were all great, washing machines, spas in some of them, pools in some, cooking facilities, TV rooms etc, although we did eat out a lot or eat in the van. I did get cabin fever one night and insist on staying in a hotel, otherwise OK. If you go in a campervan do not take cases as there is limited storage, you need soft bags that you can fold away. we came in October so can't comment on April. Good luck
Hi Donna
how are you all? Have you managed to find fresh food yet?
Ok you've all given me great ideas- what a fantastic forum of people,

Hi to Danny too
cheers
Hx
Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:43 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helinuk
Hi Donna

Hi to Danny too
cheers
Hx
Helen, let me know if your reccie is still on and I'll PM you as we went in campervan April/May last year?
Old Jan 26th 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Look forward to seeing you in Wellington
Old Jan 27th 2007, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Look forward to seeing you in Wellington
Same here! will PM you!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Helen, let me know if your reccie is still on and I'll PM you as we went in campervan April/May last year?
thanks Caroline will do. hopefully hubby and I will try to sort it out today.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Hi Donna

Hi to Danny too
cheers
Hx
Hi Helen,
we did a food shop at Coundown today, stocked up on the basics (wine, beer) and nice food. Having NZ lamb for Sunday dinner with kumara (I'm assuming it's like a sweet potato, if not someone please tell me before I cook it!).

Danny went to the liquor store and when he came out a car was parked with 4 of the Mongrel Mob inside. Danny casually sauntered to our car, the radio of which had been blasting Guns and Roses when he got out of the car. When he got back in rolled down the indows (scorching hot today)and switched the engine on YMCA had just started and blasted out of the car spoiling all his cool strolling around with his bottle of whiskey.
(Not that they were paying any attention to him in the first place!)
Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:59 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I havent posted sooner (I forgot ) my arms been killing me and I have been doing the EOI thing and............. How many more excuses do you want?

Well we went camping (tent) and it was great.

Whats the question?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:08 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I have now re-read it

We hired a small car from EZY car rentals. Cost $830 with all insurances and no exess.

In Auckland we stayed at the Stamford Plaza for a Romance & sedcution package, it was the same price as a normal room thing but with loads of stuff thrown in. Moet, Sushi, wine and a Bulgari pamper pack thing.

In Tauranga we stayed at the Cozy Corner campsite. Very clean, swimming pool, gas BBQ's and internet

We met a few expats from off here and another site at the Cyote bar on The Strand in Tauranga. Food was nice and theres loads of bars and stuff along The Strand strip.

Last edited by Jack The Lad; Jan 29th 2007 at 8:12 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Ok I have now re-read it

We hired a small car from EZY car rentals. Cost $830 with all insurances and no exess.

In Auckland we stayed at the Stamford Plaza for a Romance & sedcution package, it was the same price as a normal room thing but with loads of stuff thrown in. Moet, Sushi, wine and a Bulgari pamper pack thing.

In Tauranga we stayed at the Cozy Corner campsite. Very clean, swimming pool, gas BBQ's and internet

We met a few expats from off here and another site at the Cyote bar on The Strand in Tauranga. Food was nice and theres loads of bars and stuff along The Strand strip.
That's brilliant. thanks Jack-
We might need to find a hotel near airport first night cos flight we are looking at arrives 23.30. then hire car next morning. Did you notice any nice hotel/motels near airport?

How long did you hire car for- for the $830? How much is petrol?

I like the idea of using a motorhome too - but cost wise not convinced its good value? car/motel v motorhome and campsite?
Any thoughts?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:13 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

We might need to find a hotel near airport first night cos flight we are looking at arrives 23.30. then hire car next morning. Did you notice any nice hotel/motels near airport?

How long did you hire car for- for the $830? How much is petrol?

I like the idea of using a motorhome too - but cost wise not convinced its good value? car/motel v motorhome and campsite?
Any thoughts?

Helen.

You can always get a cab into Central Auckland, only 20 mins that time of night & a cab is around $30, then arrange for your hire car to be dropped to your hotel

Or look at www.jasons.co.nz or http://www.aatravel.co.nz/accommodation-newzealand/
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Helen.

You can always get a cab into Central Auckland, only 20 mins that time of night & a cab is around $30, then arrange for your hire car to be dropped to your hotel

Or look at www.jasons.co.nz or http://www.aatravel.co.nz/accommodation-newzealand/
Thanks Sarah
I've only ever hired the car from the airport then driven towards Rotarua- never into Auckland so didn't know how far from the city the airport was! I'll look into this.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:03 pm
Banned

I didnt look to be honest and you may be better off doing what kev&sarah as said and get a cab into town.

How long did you hire car for- for the $830?

16 days.

How much is petrol?

Very cheap.

Any thoughts?

It is expensive.

Also what if you want to go out anywhere, say for a walk and leave the Motorhome for a few hours with all your belongings in?

They are kind of crime magnets if you know what I mean. Not that we saw any evidence of any crime but I would have thought that a Motorhome is a very good and easy target.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad

motorhome and campsite?
Any thoughts?

It is expensive.

Also what if you want to go out anywhere, say for a walk and leave the Motorhome for a few hours with all your belongings in?

They are kind of crime magnets if you know what I mean. Not that we saw any evidence of any crime but I would have thought that a Motorhome is a very good and easy target.
Good point!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:32 pm
Banned

Good point!
Thats why we hired the car and bought a tent. That and it was much more fun and cheaper in a tent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.