Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Reasons why you thought you would be able ....

Reasons why you thought you would be able ....

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:50 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reasons why you thought you would be able ....

to get lots of english things even though the country you now live in is about as far away from england as you can get without having Penguins as neighbours....

Just curious...
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:52 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you thought you would be able ....

Originally Posted by Dustybin
to get lots of english things even though the country you now live in is about as far away from england as you can get without having Penguins as neighbours....

Just curious...
The English many years ago obtained silk from China, tea from India, tobacco from North America, still demand full English breakfast and real English pubs in Spain and Greece and the rest of Europe so why the hell should they not do the same with NZ......
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

selondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really nice

It's not the distance that's the problem, it's the restrictive customs duties that make British goods hard to get.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious...
Must admit I never expected to get ought from the old country when I came here over 6 years ago. I would murder for a sainburys in Palmy now though!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Still, it's okay to expect to find all manner of wordly ingredients; cocoa, spices, rice, Italian pasta, Champagne, French mustard, Chinese vegetables, bananas or Japanese cars, BUT dare to mention anything of English origin and you get your freakin head chewed off.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone ever wonder whether very many of us would be here at all if those early settlers hadn't imported sheep, cows or grapes?

Chinese Gooseberries? Say no more.....
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Isnt there an English section in most New World supermarkets?

Ya know with things likeMcvities (sp) digestives and jaffa cakes (OMG so good, MIL sends those to us all the time, though hasnt since we got to Oz) etc
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Did anyone ever wonder whether very many of us would be here at all if those early settlers hadn't imported sheep, cows or grapes?

Chinese Gooseberries? Say no more.....
Heretic. They're from New Zealand!!!!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:08 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Some one is going to come up with my favourite soon........can't buy good English tea.......
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Some one is going to come up with my favourite soon........can't buy good English tea.......

Which gets exported to China
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Still, it's okay to expect to find all manner of wordly ingredients; cocoa, spices, rice, Italian pasta, Champagne, French mustard, Chinese vegetables, bananas or Japanese cars, BUT dare to mention anything of English origin and you get your freakin head chewed off.
I don't remember any cannibalism occuring on here?

Thread was not mean't to be an attack on anyone, just a light hearted question about peoples reasons.

What about all the things you can get, that was much more of a surprise to me. You can get carlsberg special brew in my local supermarket, now that is odd....
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

I don't remember any cannibalism occuring on here?

Thread was not mean't to be an attack on anyone, just a light hearted question about peoples reasons.

What about all the things you can get, that was much more of a surprise to me. You can get carlsberg special brew in my local supermarket, now that is odd....

Danish.................but a favourite of jakeys/winos the world over
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

When we turned up in NZ back in February my husbands' brother in law welcomed him into his house with a bottle of Heineken lager ! I assume European beer is the 'smart choice' in Auckland. My husband had been hanging out for all and any NZ beer ! We later went to the supermarket to get NZ beer which we shared with our hosts by putting it in their fridge.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

selondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really nice

That will be handy if we become tramps!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I was amazed to be able to get Lancashire cheese actually made in Lancashire in Countdown when I arrived 4 years ago but I think all these UK centric things are easier to get in Wellington, every second person on the street seems to have a British accent here so there's obviously some demand which may be lacking in other areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.