Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Reasons for coming to NZ?

Reasons for coming to NZ?

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons for coming to NZ?

Originally Posted by whitesand
We came to NZ for the experience as we have lived in several places overseas. What NZ has done is focus us on what we think important to us, and I don't think NZ will satisfy us long term.

The money problem is a big one, and I'm not talking about saving - I'm talking about day to day living and paying bills. It's just so difficult to keep ahead here and we are sinking. Our sights get smaller and smaller the longer we are here.
Ditto, we are working more hours here, but have to dip into what little savings we have to keep afloat.
We love it here, but don't seem to have the means to enjoy it
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:35 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Hey happy, I really wish I'd seen what was in your original post.

Me, I'm just a professional gyppo. Left England nearly 16 years ago now. On to my third country now, apart from England. Could never go back to the UK, it's not home. If they kicked me out of New Zealand, which would kill my soul as this is 110% home for me, I would have to return to France. That's the only other place I think I could ever settle. The rest of my heart lies there, love that country, I do. Hell, I could even live in Paris again!

I'll be cheering for NZ at the ODI on 9th Feb... (sorry Simon!) England is foreign to me after so long. I mean, once I finished my degree, I only stayed there for 2 1/2 years before I left. I can honestly say I do not really identify with being "British"... whatever that means nowadays. I have a British passport, but that's about it. I was born and raised there, but I chose to leave. Please... no offence meant or intended to any of my dear dear Brit friends here!!! I love you all to pieces!

I just know that I'm never emigrating again... some will, some won't. Some might decide to stay here, some might get their citizenship in NZ solely for the purpose of jumping over the Ditch to Oz. Some might return to the UK. Whatever floats your boat...

I know it's the first time emigrating for the vast, vast majority here, and I honestly don't know how you do it further on in your lives, with families et al, to literally move halfway around our blue planet. I really don't know... I think you're stronger than I could ever hope to be.

OK enough rambling.

Last edited by Maz; Jan 22nd 2008 at 10:51 am. Reason: missed a crapload of stuff!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:39 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Ditto, we are working more hours here, but have to dip into what little savings we have to keep afloat.
"savings"... ???

Oh hell, after "qualifying" for paying US$1,000 a month (about NZ$1,300) for health insurance for the three of us (and that's for one month - could pretty much not get a doc's appt or go to hospital without good insurance), the lower salaries more than make up for it. Blood pressure is lower!

I'm working fewer hours here than I did in the US, but there again, they're sodding workaholics there, there's really zero comparison.

I'm so sorry it's not working out for you and yours right now. Maybe we need a money-saving thread? I mean that in all sincerity, we could all use it!

Last edited by Maz; Jan 22nd 2008 at 10:51 am. Reason: teensy weensy little edity wedity... :p
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

in_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nice
Question Re: Reasons for coming to NZ?

All this "not enough money/NZ is expensive" talk in this and other current threads has started to get me quite nervous

I'll be the breadwinner earning around $100k, my wife will be full-time mum/housewife. We have 3 kids, 8yrs, 7yrs and 18mths and will be living in/around Welly.

When I did the "sums" a few months ago it all added up - OK, we weren't going to get rich or live the life of Reilly but we could afford to live relatively well without getting into debt.

Do I need to re-budget?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

We are going in the hope of a better life style for our little 7 year old fella. We live in a quite high crime area and i have worked in the Police for the last 24 years. I cant relax when i go out around here as i have dealt with lots of the people you bump into in the shops,pubs etc.
Most are ok but there is always the odd one who has had a sherbert too many that wants a go.
The weather is another factor. Thomas gets so frustrated when he cant play out after school and we feel it because he doesn't burn off his excess energy and is hard to settle at night. I know the weather in NZ is not hot all year round but after the year we had here last year, its got to be better so he can go out and play.
Again, crime is everywhere but our friends in NZ tell us that they feel a lot safer letting thier kids play out after school. Not like here where you have to check on their whereabouts every 5 mins.
Wages may not be the best but at least i wont have to work all hours god sends just to survive.
My pokey 3 bed semi here would cost around £100k in NZ but is valued at £200k here. What i could get for that in NZ.
Some people emigrate for totally the wrong reasons but the subscribers to this particular thread seem to be in the same voice.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
That is what happened to us, then the savings ran out so we got into debt. Then an unexpected death at home added more debt to the cards (last minute flights are never cheap). it is a fantastic country but hard to enjoy it without $$$$.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

A bit lucky that way. Get annual pension from job so i know i will have money coming in each month. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by in_denial
All this "not enough money/NZ is expensive" talk in this and other current threads has started to get me quite nervous

I'll be the breadwinner earning around $100k, my wife will be full-time mum/housewife. We have 3 kids, 8yrs, 7yrs and 18mths and will be living in/around Welly.

When I did the "sums" a few months ago it all added up - OK, we weren't going to get rich or live the life of Reilly but we could afford to live relatively well without getting into debt.

Do I need to re-budget?
Don't think so, not even in Wellington! Only a TINY % of people earn that type of $..the median is about $35k!!! Okay if you need a mortgage much will go that way as houses aint cheap in the capital!! The mortgage rate is around 9-10% Good luck!!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Don't think so, not even in Wellington! Only a TINY % of people earn that type of $..the median is about $35k!!! Okay if you need a mortgage much will go that way as houses aint cheap in the capital!! The mortgage rate is around 9-10% Good luck!!
While rental costs in and around Welly are much much cheaper than a mortgage would be! I got a fright when I looked at how little I could get for my mortgage here when I arrived, but rental has not caught up anywhere near buying prices, and I'm sticking to renting until I decide how long I intend my stay to be, if I get to 2 years and residency then I'll look into it again
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Don't be nervous. Just take on board that the NZ cost of living is not cheap.
All one can suggest to any prospective migrant is to do the sums.

Everyone should do an income and expenses breakdown for their current UK situation, making sure everything is included. Holidays, insurance , groceries etc
Do the same for probable NZ income and expenses . Then take a good hard look at both sets of household figures .

It's a trade off. A UK lifestyle for an NZ one.

Cor ! Most families we know [ kiwis and migrants] are managing on half that or less.

Do I need to re-budget?
No. Mate ! You'll be fine.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 22nd 2008 at 10:52 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:42 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

It all depends on how much you're going to be forking out on a mortgage when you get there. I think that a lot of people probably end up spending more on this then they orginally budgeted for.

It's quite easy to look on the net and see houses for $XXX and think great there's loads I can afford to buy, then when you look at them you realise why they are so cheap.

Also, $100k will go a long way in some parts of the country and not so far in others.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

in_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nice

Thanks for the responses - that's put me at ease somewhat.

We don't intend to buy/get a mortgage until we've been in the country for around 2 years (so that we're 100% sure we want to stay).

Cheers,
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:11 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

why come?
along the lines of New Labour....and in threes:
kids...kids....kids
to give them
space....time....future
and cause we wanted to try living "abroad"...
did not come for
career......money.....easy life
miss
family......friends......financial security
dont miss
terrorism.......nuclear power.......land locked home
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:16 am
Maz

Originally Posted by lardyl
dont miss
terrorism.......nuclear power.......land locked home
I saw today that Dubya called nukular power "clean". He really is clueless...
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:23 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
I saw today that Dubya called nukular power "clean". He really is clueless...
Dont worry Gordon "the Moron" B and his mates are signing up to it too.......
People just dont seem to get the whole "how do we deal with the waste" thing - have two Kiwi mates who are married to Japanese and both have lived there and are planning to return - they rave about nuclear power and dont seem to understand that their waste goes off to Blighty to be treated.....IMHO earthquake prone areas and the nuclear industry do not mix!!
And dont get me started on Dubyah.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.