Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Reasons for coming to NZ?

Reasons for coming to NZ?

Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:33 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons for coming to NZ?

I came for the adventure of trying somewhere new. We had moved extensively round Britain with the RAF and were used to managing on our own without the immediate back-up of relatives and long-term friends in the locality, which gave us some self-reliance when we moved. I have loved being in New Zealand. I am well aware of the drawbacks and the problems here but this is the choice I made and overall, I don't regret it.
In spite of the major upheavals in my personal life, I still love it here. I have made the most fantastic friends via this forum and I hold them very dear: they have meant the world to me when things got too much to bear on my own:
Cheers people!!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:45 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

we came for the extensive shopping, crowds, high speed internet, huge wages and excellent local driving skills.

Lived up to everything and so much more..
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:51 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dustybin
we came for the extensive shopping, crowds, high speed internet, huge wages and excellent local driving skills.

Lived up to everything and so much more..
I always knew you had a sense of humour...driving skills
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We didnt really have a reason to come here....or to leave UK for that matter. We came as OH was head-hunted and was offered a job here.... it seemed like an adventure and absolutely everyone we knew told us we were "lucky sods" and to "go for it". We filled in all the forms, got PR in 2 days and were here a few months later.... still love it here now.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by happynz
Oh Happy, I always like to hear you ramble on

Alison
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

mallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by garryhg
we came purely for the adventure,it was never a life long dream,in fact oh noticed job,applied,got interview,and we were all here within 12 weeks.....it all happened so fast that everyone back home were in shock,so were we .....

never said we were emigrating,just going on an exciting adventure and we will just see what happens.....

had a good life in scotland,lived in a lovely quiet little village....having a good life here,but do miss extended family....but who knows what tomorrow will bring,so you have to jump at every oportunity you can in life...and even if we do go back to scotland in the future,what an experience for us as a family.....and the kids can see there is more to life than 2 weeks in majorca in july...jacky
Many thanks for that post! "Not emigrating but going on an exciting adventure".......brilliant!

Regards
Mallard (the adventurer!)
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:41 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

If I wanted an adventure I would have applied for a job in Tashkent, Myanmar or Azerbaijan. New Zealand ain't exactly exotic. New Zealand has worked out OK though.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

If I wanted an adventure I would have applied for a job in Tashkent, Myanmar or Azerbaijan. New Zealand ain't exactly exotic. New Zealand has worked out OK though.
you don't need EXOTIC for an adventure.....its broken us away from our safe little lives and given us a taste of life in another country.....(living that is not just holidaying)....

its given myself and my kids a new found confidence,to know that you can do something like this and overcome the many hurdles that await you when you get here....
and while we are here we are going to see ,figi,australia,some of the pacific islands,all places that we probably would never have gone to had we still been in scotland....so it is a huge adventure for us......jacky
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:52 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

you don't need EXOTIC for an adventure.....its broken us away from our safe little lives and given us a taste of life in another country.....(living that is not just holidaying)...
I hope I wasn't coming off as being negative towards anyone. I was speaking of my own experience.

it's given myself and my kids a new found confidence,to know that you can do something like this and overcome the many hurdles that await you when you get here....
Cool.
...and while we are here we are going to see fiji, australia, some of the pacific islands,all places that we probably would never have gone to had we still been in scotland....so it is a huge adventure for us......jacky
Aussie ain't exactly a big leap into the unknown (speaking for myself, mind you). Many of the Pacific Islands can be an enjoyable foray outside your comfort zone if you are willing to stray into the lesser developed destinations. Southeast Asia isn't that far away and can provide some grand adventures.
Have fun!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

jca69 is a jewel in the roughjca69 is a jewel in the roughjca69 is a jewel in the roughjca69 is a jewel in the rough

Aussie ain't exactly a big leap into the unknown (speaking for myself, mind you). Many of the Pacific Islands can be an enjoyable foray outside your comfort zone if you are willing to stray into the lesser developed destinations. Southeast Asia isn't that far away and can provide some grand adventures.
Have fun!
Like garryhg, I think we don't need to go find Livingstone to live an adventure. For a family trying to live a new experience, with people that speak another language, have other eating habits, other ways of spending free time, thinking, etc, it's already an adventure.
For us our adventure has brought to Calgary (too cold!) but we want to move to NZ. Ok, we can call it a western country or 1st world country, but it's different either way to Spain. For some, even moving to another district is an adventure. It's all relative.

Maybe the term "adventure" related to migration refers more to migrating not because of political, economical or social reasons, like third world countries' people migrating to the 1st world.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by jca69
It's all relative..
Exactly!

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Lower population density
Better Climate
Ability to afford a nice house in a great area near a beach and a big city without a mortgage (well the last bit at least when we sell up in UK)
Living in the sort of place I used to pay good money to go on holiday to
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:24 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I have to disagree with that, happynz. Starting life again in your 40's in a new country, halfway round the world from everything you have ever known, IS an adventure. So it's not exotic, they drive on the same side of the road (mostly!) but you have left your comfort zone to boldly go where you have never been before. It has been an adventure and I don't regret it all
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by karonious
I have to disagree with that, happynz. Starting life again in your 40's in a new country, halfway round the world from everything you have ever known, IS an adventure. So it's not exotic, they drive on the same side of the road (mostly!) but you have left your comfort zone to boldly go where you have never been before. It has been an adventure and I don't regret it all
I'm not sure what we are agreeing or disagreeing about. I was speaking of my own circumstances and experiences.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

We came to NZ for the experience as we have lived in several places overseas. What NZ has done is focus us on what we think important to us, and I don't think NZ will satisfy us long term.

The money problem is a big one, and I'm not talking about saving - I'm talking about day to day living and paying bills. It's just so difficult to keep ahead here and we are sinking. Our sights get smaller and smaller the longer we are here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.