Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Reasonable salary expectations in New Zealand

Reasonable salary expectations in New Zealand

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasonable salary expectations in New Zealand

Originally Posted by SarahB
I had conversations with teenagers back in Peterborough, UK.... went something like them saying "what the ***** you staring at?".... and me walking quickly in the opposite direction trying not to make eye contact. I didnt just make that up.... it happened to me. Here when they say Hi I must look shocked or scared as Im still not used to it even after a year.... takes a while to get it outa your system.

Sorry to the O/P for going off topic
Ditto last comment..but in a way its all relevant...one hopes reading this will give the originator of this post a real boost re his 14yr old charge. I too had great fear of the group of vile teenagers that gathered outside my home in Northampton, swearing, screaming, spitting, tagging, drinking, littering, stealing, twocing and pelting my home with glass. Would not dare say anything to them cos in the past they threw rocks at me or threatened to kill me...and had i defended myself or taken them to task???? Either arrested by the police or beaten to a pulp by their family...now I am trying to remember why I came to NZ...let me think a while.....................
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I just never talked to teenagers at home.... they scared me!! I really must get used to the different attitudes that the kids have here but its just hard after all those years. I would hope that in years to come my little lad (and yet to be born girly with no name) will be as nice as the kids I meet here.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=SarahB]I just never talked to teenagers at home.... they scared me!! I really must get used to the different attitudes that the kids have here but its just hard after all those years. I would hope that in years to come my little lad (and yet to be born girly with no name) will be as nice as the kids I meet here.[/QUOTE

i also have found the parents & adults hard to get used to.
we went to the park the other day, kids ran off to play , i was sorting something out in the boot of the car, look for kids ,son is playing on slide, daughter is in a swing (the baby ones) being pushed very happily by a bloke , (i had to stop myself yelling ' oiy what do ya think your doing' so i calmy walk up & this bloke is pushing my daughter on the swing with one hand & his own on the next swing with the other, & we had a nice chat & he was a lovely man
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I kinda know what you mean. My mate here is from UK and her kids are older than mine... about 5 and 8 I think.... she is finding it hard to come to terms with how it is here.... she has finally let them go out and play without her checking up on them every 3 minutes. I've had strangers push my little lad on swings too but as you say you just start talking and you realise that its just normal here.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Exsqueeeeze me I own MFI - only joking!!! Most people say bring as much decent stuff as you can so you're set up costs are less, including electrical stuff - although you'll have no warranties. Bring lots of extension leads and worldwide adaptors - and I imagine smoke alarms and fire extinguishers!!

From what I've gleaned you need to be roughly looking at $1,200 a week for your family, rent/mortgage/food/car etc? May be slightly off as what's a generalisation?! Between friends!!

To move to NZ appears to be an improvement in life vs work balance and better lifestyle overall, definately not to be better financially once you're earning dollars!

If you're buying I'll have an eggnog please.
Anybody have the slightest idea what a Senior Project Manager in Healthcare IT could earn in NZ? I am hoping to retire and let my OH do all the work!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nero
Anybody have the slightest idea what a Senior Project Manager in Healthcare IT could earn in NZ? I am hoping to retire and let my OH do all the work!
i've no idea - sorry , but i like your way of thinking