Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Reasonable salary expectations in New Zealand

Reasonable salary expectations in New Zealand

Old Sep 30th 2006, 4:21 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasonable salary expectations in New Zealand

Originally Posted by poppets
i thought they were having a go at me cos of my comments earlier on in this thread, oh well Sky , we'll stand united shall we
hows the house going?
Going great Poppet thanks , having a few family related issues at the mo but trying to work stuff out.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Going great Poppet thanks , having a few family related issues at the mo but trying to work stuff out.

good luck to you, hope everything works out well
Old Sep 30th 2006, 6:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There was no other agenda within my post . You are right Poppets. It was about previous posts , one of which was your own. It wasn't a direct pop at any one person either. As Steve 1963 gleaned, I just didn't want folk - in particular would-be migrants to think wrongly of him. I was simply wanting to say that Ian is a worthwhile poster and deserves a 'fair go' without being told he has a 'down' on NZ . That's it. Straight as it is. Nothing else.
Its just so easy to knock a post like Ians that may say it is expensive here, or that wages are tough, houses expensive etc. I felt the urge to stand his corner , if you like because I've seen many of these posts and posters pulled apart for their comments.

Sky is on my ignore list these days because I feel that is for the best, however I have seen her post via a quote. Wish I hadn't, but too late now !

Sky
Once again ,thank you for your enlightening comment. Something of the same standard to forum users that has had you banned elsewhere .
The only forum interaction I have had with you of late was on here, and it was to politely ask you to continue pointing would-be migrant plumbers in BEVS direction, as there is no reason for you to stop doing that. For that I have been subjected to several personal comments & slurs both here and elsewhere. That has, lately, included a calculated comment regarding my missing brother which could only have been posted with a view to cause hurt.
Even then, without the facility of the ignore button which we have here , I have been able to let your more unpleasant comments pass me by.

My post was not about you. It just wasn't. There was no inference, innuendo or otherwise. Those types of posts, I leave to you.

It was all about Ian being given a 'fair go' here .

As I have stated elsewhere recently, you have simply underlined , once again, why we decided to call it a day with your goodself along with Debs70 & that it was the right move.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 6:41 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Methinks you may have your figures wrong, it would only take 7 years for NZ to be empty if that was the case!. Even if you believe you are right; 98% of Kiwi's who leave have every intention of returning to live in their homeland. Are you a New Zealander?

PS: Hello Poppets!! Made friends with that pesky giraffe yet?!
I am a New Zealander and 98% do not have every intention of returning.

90% have no idea when they leave

Your 7 years is based on current population in NZ but does not account for the million plus currently overseas.

By all means come to NZ to start a new life - if it does not work out for you try Oz or somewhere else - we all deserve to find our own happiness and dont feel bad for trying.

Of course i wish you would all love NZ to bits but lifes not the same for all of us is it.

Personally I was born in a small town and gradually moved to a bigger town then a suburb then inner city then Europe/US etc. Have no intention of movng back to small town but dont mind the odd visit. Would drive me and my wife insane to spend too much time back there.

There are many copatriots back in London and Europe who simply cannot be bothered flying back they have made a decent life for themselves and are happy to enjoy the mountains of Europe and North America and the beaches of the Indian ocean.

Kiwi
Old Sep 30th 2006, 7:31 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

good luck to you, hope everything works out well
Thanks Poppet, Im sure it will
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
There was no other agenda within my post . You are right Poppets. It was about previous posts , one of which was your own. It wasn't a direct pop at any one person either. As Steve 1963 gleaned, I just didn't want folk - in particular would-be migrants to think wrongly of him. I was simply wanting to say that Ian is a worthwhile poster and deserves a 'fair go' without being told he has a 'down' on NZ . That's it. Straight as it is. Nothing else.
Its just so easy to knock a post like Ians that may say it is expensive here, or that wages are tough, houses expensive etc. I felt the urge to stand his corner , if you like because I've seen many of these posts and posters pulled apart for their comments.

Sky is on my ignore list these days because I feel that is for the best, however I have seen her post via a quote. Wish I hadn't, but too late now !

Sky
Once again ,thank you for your enlightening comment. Something of the same standard to forum users that has had you banned elsewhere .
The only forum interaction I have had with you of late was on here, and it was to politely ask you to continue pointing would-be migrant plumbers in BEVS direction, as there is no reason for you to stop doing that. For that I have been subjected to several personal comments & slurs both here and elsewhere. That has, lately, included a calculated comment regarding my missing brother which could only have been posted with a view to cause hurt.
Even then, without the facility of the ignore button which we have here , I have been able to let your more unpleasant comments pass me by.

My post was not about you. It just wasn't. There was no inference, innuendo or otherwise. Those types of posts, I leave to you.

It was all about Ian being given a 'fair go' here .

As I have stated elsewhere recently, you have simply underlined , once again, why we decided to call it a day with your goodself along with Debs70 & that it was the right move.

i apologise for turning this thread into a bit of a battle (for the want of a better word) , & i hope that you & Ian can accept my apologies , I wasn't intending to distroy his opion, to which every one is entitled. I think its best if we leave this thread alone & let anyone who has any other comments to post
many thanks & best wishes
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Hi ya,
Have you suggested to the employer that you are not sure about the salary??? You never know they mat up it??? If you are brave enough to ask!!!
I know that the half hour for lunch sounds harsh after being used to an hour in UK but thats the norm, but you are entilted to an hour if you wish and you may take it, obviously though you don't get paid for it.

Lets take a vote...Maybe we work longer hours, (I don't) but does any body honestly work harder than they did in the UK????

Vote now....
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:20 am
sky
Banned

Me, me, I did
Old Sep 30th 2006, 10:08 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I work harder than I worked in the UK, Ireland and Holland put together Seriously. 99% of the time I really enjoy it though so it's not such a big deal and with my daily commuting time one third of what it used to be, it seems easier here.

Stevie. We live in Auckland. We don't have children here but do have a whopping big mortgage so equals out really I think when people have been away for a couple of years they don't realise that prices are rising all the time back 'home' the same way they're rising here. I know for a fact that energy prices have risen 40% in the last 18 months in Ireland. The UK can't be much different.

Helensville is very reasonable for housing in comparison to much of the rest of Auckland. Mainly because it's in 'the sticks'. I personally think it's a lovely little place - just a market type town and some people think it's the back of beyond and 'hicks'ville but it sort of reminds me of the town we lived in before we came here so I'm quite fond of it. It's really close to Paratai (sp) Springs - http://www.helensville.co.nz/business/aquaticpark.htm which is lovely.

I know some people do it but I couldn't imagine the two of us living on $45k, never mind a family, so if you really want it your wife would have to work. What does she do? Again, it will come down to whether or not you have a mortgage and how large it is if you do. Interest rates are high here and there may be another increase before the end of the year. $45k with no mortgage would definitely be doable but I would ask for more - you don't have anything to lose. And, even if you've got to stay with this company for 3 months, you can always use the time to see what else is around. Good luck.

Bears, I understand completely what you're saying about Kiwis emigrating. There are 50 MILLION Irish passports in circulation ..... and less than 5 million actually live there - can you imagine what it would be like if they all decided to go 'home' We've always wanted to see what's beyond our shores - less so now of course but I don't necessarily think that's such a good thing. Growing a generation of insular people. Still, no matter why we leave or how long we're away, we're always Irish. It was the same for my husband - always a Kiwi. It doesn't mean I want to go back and live there though - distance keeps the relationship healthy
Old Sep 30th 2006, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

i apologise for turning this thread into a bit of a battle (for the want of a better word) , & i hope that you & Ian can accept my apologies ,

Don't worry about it. Just a quick post as we have a open home soon.
Arn't open homes poo
Old Sep 30th 2006, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie1963 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hello Stevie, from what i can glean $45k will not go far in Auck. We live in Palmy but I have heard soooo much about the high costs of Auck (we also know people that live there). However if you have no mortgage you would manage on that okay. I wanted to go to Auckland so much but for some reason Kate put her foot down and we ended up in Palmerston North..we are soooooooooooooo happy here and extremely glad we did not go to Auckland. Point one our house in a similarly nice area would be more than double up there, we have little crime, no traffic, only 70000 to share the almost endless space with and a location that is close for soooooooo much.

Bills per month (excluding petrol, debt, food and mortgage)..ie rates, utilities, insurances, car tax and MOTs are about $650 per month. Rent/mortgage can be from $1500 - skys the limit...food will be say another $1000, petrol between $100-150. $48k will leave you with about $3120 per month, which is slightly less than what your estimated outgoings would be.
Hi there, Thank you for the detailed break down of aprox costs. It is a great help in assessing my salary requirements. Especially as I don't have a realistic idea of the costs over there myself. We desperately want to make the move abut I am scared we will be financially so skint that we can't enjoy our new found life in New Zealand. I will take the general advice and try and get my salary increased or at least an increase once I have proved my abilities in the trade.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Batty
I work harder than I worked in the UK, Ireland and Holland put together Seriously. 99% of the time I really enjoy it though so it's not such a big deal and with my daily commuting time one third of what it used to be, it seems easier here.

Stevie. We live in Auckland. We don't have children here but do have a whopping big mortgage so equals out really I think when people have been away for a couple of years they don't realise that prices are rising all the time back 'home' the same way they're rising here. I know for a fact that energy prices have risen 40% in the last 18 months in Ireland. The UK can't be much different.

Helensville is very reasonable for housing in comparison to much of the rest of Auckland. Mainly because it's in 'the sticks'. I personally think it's a lovely little place - just a market type town and some people think it's the back of beyond and 'hicks'ville but it sort of reminds me of the town we lived in before we came here so I'm quite fond of it. It's really close to Paratai (sp) Springs - http://www.helensville.co.nz/business/aquaticpark.htm which is lovely.

I know some people do it but I couldn't imagine the two of us living on $45k, never mind a family, so if you really want it your wife would have to work. What does she do? Again, it will come down to whether or not you have a mortgage and how large it is if you do. Interest rates are high here and there may be another increase before the end of the year. $45k with no mortgage would definitely be doable but I would ask for more - you don't have anything to lose. And, even if you've got to stay with this company for 3 months, you can always use the time to see what else is around. Good luck.

Bears, I understand completely what you're saying about Kiwis emigrating. There are 50 MILLION Irish passports in circulation ..... and less than 5 million actually live there - can you imagine what it would be like if they all decided to go 'home' We've always wanted to see what's beyond our shores - less so now of course but I don't necessarily think that's such a good thing. Growing a generation of insular people. Still, no matter why we leave or how long we're away, we're always Irish. It was the same for my husband - always a Kiwi. It doesn't mean I want to go back and live there though - distance keeps the relationship healthy
Hi there, Thanks for your reply. My Wife works as an administrator in the motor trade here in the UK. Hopefully she shouldn't have too much trouble getting work. Our Son is 14 so no problem with needing baby sitters. It is the future we want and I am not scared of hard work but obviously want a good life for us all otherwise there is no point in all the upheavel.
Steve
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sky
Maybe ask for a little more money with it being up in Auckland, you can always change jobs once your here if you don't like it or think you can earn better.
Just be careful though to not open up too much to your work mates about what your thoughts are about the company/country etc for a while ... in the skilled trades industry it's dog eat dog and if they think they have something on you they will use it!
Will you have a mortgage? if you don't it will be easier .. if you do you will def be scraping by on a daily basis.

Bevs grow up!
Hands up anyone who has received a pm or email from me lately cos I think she is implying I've been saying negative things about folk.
Hi there, Thanks for the advice. I will keep my thought to myself. We don't intend to buy a property until our permanent residency is accepted, so initially the mortgage wont be a problem. Like you say if I can't up my salary where I am I can always look elsewhere in the future. I was in shock a little last night having received my employment contract by e-mail and just read it. I felt like all our plans had been dashed but having slept on it, I don't feel so bad today. Especially having ventured into our local town (Bletchley, Milton Keynes) and seen the way people act with no respect for others or property made me feel that I want to get out of this country at any cost as it is only going to get worse and not the sort of environment that I want me Son subjected to. New Zealand watch out, here we come
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stevie1963
Hi there, Thanks for the advice. I will keep my thought to myself. We don't intend to buy a property until our permanent residency is accepted, so initially the mortgage wont be a problem. Like you say if I can't up my salary where I am I can always look elsewhere in the future. I was in shock a little last night having received my employment contract by e-mail and just read it. I felt like all our plans had been dashed but having slept on it, I don't feel so bad today. Especially having ventured into our local town (Bletchley, Milton Keynes) and seen the way people act with no respect for others or property made me feel that I want to get out of this country at any cost as it is only going to get worse and not the sort of environment that I want me Son subjected to. New Zealand watch out, here we come
You are right mate!!! NZ aint perfect but people do seem to be very different in a very positive way over here from what we left behind. I don't wanna to a downer on the UK but where we live in Palmerston North we have in one foul swoop, cut out ALL the crap from our lives that we had to endure in Northampton. For us and our 3 kids (under 6), living in Palmy it borders on perfection. As does generally living in NZ. We think it is heaven by comparison to our old UK life. We have utterly everything we want right here.
Palmerston North has a very undeserving poor reputation. I am the type that demands alot from life..so do my kids..we have been here 18 months and I never ever get bored...theres just tooooooooooooooooooo much to do. I woke up today and the fresh sweet smell in the air its almost indescribably wonderous..the bird song..the view of the ranges...God it is perfect here. Died and gone to heaven...I mean Palmy!!! You have much to look forward to Stevie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

scracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Stevie1963
Hi there, Thanks for your reply. My Wife works as an administrator in the motor trade here in the UK. Hopefully she shouldn't have too much trouble getting work. Our Son is 14 so no problem with needing baby sitters. It is the future we want and I am not scared of hard work but obviously want a good life for us all otherwise there is no point in all the upheavel.
Steve
If your kid's at all academically bright then there's no way I would bring him out to NZ at 14. The education system is a shocker here.

45K is do-able in Auckland BTW but only if the missus works or you have a very small mortgage. Otherwise I'd honestly forget about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.