British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is This A Reasonable Plan? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/reasonable-plan-756176/)

luckydenvermint Apr 25th 2012 5:45 pm

Is This A Reasonable Plan?

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some advice on mine and my partners proposed plan for our years trip to New Zealand. I would like some feedback on whether any part of it is unrealistic or if we have disregarded a major stumbling block. We've both been to NZ before on a short trip and enjoyed it immensely. We would now like to return for a year to experience living abroad - we are both mid 20s.

Firstly we will be applying for Working Holiday Visas and plan to arrive in September/October. We want to live in Wellington for 4-5 months and Auckland for 4-5 months with the other two months spent exploring the islands.

Upon arriving in one of the cities we will be staying in a serviced apartment for 3-4 weeks whilst searching for jobs. She plans to be a Temp/Sub teacher (already contacted NZ teaching council to have qualifications checked and registration) and whilst I would like to be able do some freelance editing/graphic design I am also open to the idea of bar/shop work to bring in an income.

Once some sort of work is acquired we would look to rent a short term small furnished apartment/house for about $250 a week. Is this realistic?

We would also like to buy a cheap car for the couple of months traveling the islands. Anything we should be aware of with regards to insurance, tax and MOT?

I'm aware of getting an IRD number and opening a NZ bank account - is there anything else that I have missed?

Thank you for reading, I look forward to your replies!

:)

Clappy Apr 26th 2012 8:34 am

Re: Is This A Reasonable Plan?

Originally Posted by luckydenvermint (Post 10025082)
Once some sort of work is acquired we would look to rent a short term small furnished apartment/house for about $250 a week. Is this realistic?

Firstly, getting anything in Auckland for $250 a week is unlikely. Check the real-estate section of www.trademe.co.nz to see what is available, most stuff ends up on that site.

Secondly, it is rare for rentals to be furnished, it does happen but it is rare.

Originally Posted by luckydenvermint (Post 10025082)
We would also like to buy a cheap car for the couple of months traveling the islands. Anything we should be aware of with regards to insurance, tax and MOT?

Unlike the UK, insurance is not compulsory so it is up to you to weigh up your attitude to risk (you won't get sued if you injure someone).

Car tax is, and the MOT (its called Warrant of Fitness WOF) is needed every six or every twelve months depending on how old the vehicle is.

The vehicle license does not have to cover a whole year - you get 3 and 6 month options.