British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Reaons for leaving the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/reaons-leaving-uk-479981/)

Here comes the sun Sep 9th 2007 9:35 am

Reaons for leaving the UK

Its probally been done before but im interested in peoples reasons for leaving, so heres mine.

I grew up in the country in a big farm house, i would love for my kids to have this but due to rising house prices this is no longer an option.

We live in a city due to work (both nurses) the inner city schools are terrible and due to the first reason could never afford to buy a house close enough to a decent school so we are currrently paying for private education.

No job security and fairly poor working conditions in the NHS

Expensive outdoor pursuits

Congestion on the motor ways, housing popping up every where

Basically NZ offers job security and choice in employment for my profession, affordable housing with land and rural position. Better education or at least smaller class sizes. Cheaper outdoor activities and skiing!!

I love the UK, the herritage, the old buildings some aspects of the culture. But i can never have the lifestyle i want in this country, i will miss my family but will try to see them every year. So thats why we are leaving not because we hate the UK but because i want a better lifestyle for my family.

happynz Sep 9th 2007 9:41 am

Re: Reaons for leaving the UK

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun (Post 5290617)
...i will miss my family but will try to see them every year.

That would get very very expensive.

Here comes the sun Sep 9th 2007 9:44 am

i think we would probally meet up for a holiday in america or take it in turns coming to NZ or going to the UK

SarahB Sep 9th 2007 9:52 am

OH got headhunted and texted me asking me if I wanted to go live in NZ. We just fancied a change and thought we might regret it if we didnt do it.

In fact the first time he got offered the job it fell through and we forgot all about it for a couple of years. Then he got offered it again out of the blue and 6 months later we were here.:)

Still here 27 months later. :D and we love it!

jackietyfry Sep 9th 2007 4:24 pm

I'm surprised that OP feels that there is no job security and poor working conditions in the NHS. Things are not perfect here and I could always do with more money of course but my current job security is exactly what worries me most about emigrating to NZ.
I would have to give up my 32 annual leave days + BH's, excellent sickness entitlement, very flexible working arrangement and lose money on my final salary pension scheme. Admitttedly I have 20+ years service and I have mental health officer status ..... but really the NHS is still a good employer in comparison to lots of other places. What I also like as a nurse is that at last we are managing to lose the "Doctors handmaiden" thing which from what I've heard about NZ may still be an issue over there.

However I still want to go to NZ (as opposed to wanting to leave the UK) because:
I want to have an adventure
I want to wake up and see the ocean every morning
I want to live a more healthy out door lifestyle and .....
.... most importantly I dont want to die with any regrets.

I think these things are more important than money so I hope our recce in Feb confirms my expectations.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained !!
Jackie

misterjingo Sep 9th 2007 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by jackietyfry (Post 5291401)
However I still want to go to NZ (as opposed to wanting to leave the UK) because:

Personally, I feel that the UK is one of the best countries in the world to live right now, with the NHS, state benefits, increasingly secular nature, and even the ethnic mix, I think it is one of the most forward thinking nations. Things might not be perfect, but they aren't perfect elsewhere either.
My wife and I are heading to NZ for pretty much the points mentioned above.

jill1420 Sep 9th 2007 5:48 pm

I think these things are more important than money so I hope our recce in Feb confirms my expectations.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained !!
Jackie[/QUOTE]

Sounds great Jackie. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

ned Sep 9th 2007 8:07 pm

Do you know I expected to see everyone on this thread whinging about how sh1t the UK is :confused:

But no everyone has a positive adventurous look toward living in New Zealand, we are all going for the challenge and the adventure :D

I think New Zealand is lucky to have us :thumbsup:

jackietyfry Sep 9th 2007 8:12 pm

Quite right Ned :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

teambwr47 Sep 9th 2007 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by jackietyfry (Post 5291401)
"Doctors handmaiden"

Oh to be a Doctor:rofl: sorry couldn't resist....

I want to live a more healthy out door lifestyle
Jackie, you could say yourself loads of cash and move to Southerndown or Porthcawl;):D

Seriously though, public sector jobs are secure normally in the UK and as you said if you've been in post for a good time the money and security is hard to give up as is the long term pension etc.

Sounds like you've got the reasons to emmigrate right......good luck..

jackietyfry Sep 9th 2007 8:40 pm

:rofl::rofl:

As for Southerndown or Porthcawl - I couldn't afford it, house prices gone mad:mad:
However if we go to NZ that will be to our advantage:sneaky: and I wont have a bad word said about the UK housing market in that case!!

Thanks for the good wishes everyone, when you are in limboland (shall we, shan't we) then you need all the encouragement you can get, as all of you who have made the leap know!

Cheers!

ned Sep 9th 2007 8:40 pm

Seriously though, public sector jobs are secure normally in the UK
tell that to the folk of Scarborough :confused:

Yotty Sep 9th 2007 9:19 pm

Just a point regarding regrets, most people don't regret doing something ... they usually regret not doing something!:D

SarahB Sep 10th 2007 1:31 am

Originally Posted by ned (Post 5292053)
Do you know I expected to see everyone on this thread whinging about how sh1t the UK is :confused:

But no everyone has a positive adventurous look toward living in New Zealand, we are all going for the challenge and the adventure :D

I think New Zealand is lucky to have us :thumbsup:

Exactly right Ned! We didnt leave UK coz it was sh1t.... it was just because the opportunity arose. Initially we said we would come for 2 years and see how it worked out... I guess that made it slightly less scary than coming here "forever"... we rented our UK houses out which gave us a "bolthole" in case it didnt work out for us here.

We feel settled here now and like our location too. We prefer it here to where we lived in UK, others might not.... depends what you like and where you can be happy.... only live once, so gotta be happy! :D

Maz Sep 10th 2007 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Yotty (Post 5292239)
Just a point regarding regrets, most people don't regret doing something ... they usually regret not doing something!:D

That's pretty much how I met my hubby. We had both moved to France. He was touring with his band. Said he has zero regrets doing that as he would have been wondering "What if...?" if he hadn't done it.