Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Reaons for leaving the UK

Reaons for leaving the UK

Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:45 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice
Default Re: Reaons for leaving the UK

yep both at Wellington Hospital
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackietyfry
I trained in Glanrhyd but guess what! My mother in law worked there for years!... so did my husband .... and my sister in law.
What was/is your MIL's name perhaps we know her.
Jackie
Marie Toman....
Old Sep 12th 2007, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Marie Toman....
OH doesn't remember her nor my Mother in law, how old is she? Sure it was Glanrhyd and not Parc?

Anyway its still a small world!

Don't spose you would move back to Wales now, are you settled over there?
We are going over to see friends in Feb in Wellington, any ideas about what we should take them as a pressie from home? Very subjective I know!
Jackie
Old Sep 13th 2007, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

OH doesn't remember her nor my Mother in law, how old is she? Sure it was Glanrhyd and not Parc?

Anyway its still a small world!

Don't spose you would move back to Wales now, are you settled over there?
We are going over to see friends in Feb in Wellington, any ideas about what we should take them as a pressie from home? Very subjective I know!
Jackie
Thinking about it she retired early about 8 years ago i guess (just realised how fast time has gone). She was something to do with the running of the 'frensic?' unit or something? It was a secure unit with some rather dangerous people in it who done some not very nice things....

Father in law was a unit general manager until about 10 years ago.

Just an idea and not sure it would be legal to bring it in but we brought a piece of coal with us

Its a small piece in a sliver about 2inches long and from big pit which i'm going to put into a small glass case. We wrapping it tight in plastic and put in our hand luggage and nobody asked what it was.....

Coal is so much a part of Welsh history and in particular the area's around where you and i have lived it seemed like the right thing to remind me of Wales?
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Dolly Daydream will become famous soon enoughDolly Daydream will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Reaons for leaving the UK

Why do we want to leave the UK? We both believe the UK has always been a fab country but that as a nation we have lost our way. Life has become too materialistic to so many people - the more people have, the more they want. Community spirit does not exist any more and the elderly are totally forgotten.
We all have so much - a lovely country, health, family etc - none of these things cost us anything, but we don't appreciate them. The litter in the country really saddens me. Britain is so scenic but we ruin it by dumping litter. I pick up litter at the end of our drive and up the road and people tear past me in their cars glaring at me, thinking I'm mad. I don't care, wild animals die a horrible slow death from eating plastic bags etc and I can't stand the mess. People throw nappies out of their cars, all wrapped up in a carrier bag. Unbelievable. Would they like other people's nappies dumped in their garden? It makes me so sad to hear about children killing one another. Kids in cities have no quality of life and get in with the wrong people. School should be there to help kids achieve. Success and achievement is not just about the achieving of GCSE's, A Levels etc but developing personal skills. School now is only about exams and those that are not academic are ignored. No wonder these kids get themselves into crime etc.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dolly Daydream
Why do we want to leave the UK? We both believe the UK has always been a fab country but that as a nation we have lost our way. Life has become too materialistic to so many people - the more people have, the more they want. Community spirit does not exist any more and the elderly are totally forgotten.
We all have so much - a lovely country, health, family etc - none of these things cost us anything, but we don't appreciate them. The litter in the country really saddens me. Britain is so scenic but we ruin it by dumping litter. I pick up litter at the end of our drive and up the road and people tear past me in their cars glaring at me, thinking I'm mad. I don't care, wild animals die a horrible slow death from eating plastic bags etc and I can't stand the mess. People throw nappies out of their cars, all wrapped up in a carrier bag. Unbelievable. Would they like other people's nappies dumped in their garden? It makes me so sad to hear about children killing one another. Kids in cities have no quality of life and get in with the wrong people. School should be there to help kids achieve. Success and achievement is not just about the achieving of GCSE's, A Levels etc but developing personal skills. School now is only about exams and those that are not academic are ignored. No wonder these kids get themselves into crime etc.
Spot on there...............all the reasons we are going.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

I agree Dolly Daydream & Kato,

When I was in Oz at christmas I couldnt believe how clean the country was especially the sea. The no throwing cigarette stubs in sea signs (apparently a stub can last 9 years), the unsmashed vinegar or similar substance for jelly fish stings situated all over the beaches, life rings intact and in the correct position for an emergency.

We fished quite a lot at several spots and couldnt believe how efficient the fishery police (im not sure if thats the correct title) were at checking the weights and species of our catch..............they seemed to pop up out of nowhere.

The people were so friendly and helpful too.........very chilled.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:06 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, we got this far on the thread at least
Old Sep 14th 2007, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

All of the above started with Thatcher, she damaged the social fabric of the country , but set up a better economy in the later part of her reign, chiefly in the South of England (we were getting to be bit of a basket case it was true). We were warned at the time of the consequences , and as ye sew, ye shall reap !
The rest of the country (North and Scotland) was devastated economically by her policies, which started the social problems evident today. And after that, as the fat cats would say, "was just history"

I understand NZ tried a similar experiment too, based on Thatcher's "monaterism" that caused UK unemployment to reach 3 million.

I think that England is basically the same, the media just hype it up with words like "feral", have you ever read a newspaper about the daily crimes from the 1920s and 1930s, now that was REALLY feral !

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Sep 14th 2007 at 5:46 am.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 5:42 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

George Hamilton-Gordon, Earl of Aberdeen was a bugger too.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
George Hamilton-Gordon, Earl of Aberdeen was a bugger too.
wasn't he the one who used to get lost in forums ? he had 2 extra stars, which he thought entitled him to barge into other threads saying random gibberish
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:39 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
wasn't he the one who used to get lost in forums ? he had 2 extra stars, which he thought entitled him to barge into other threads saying random gibberish
You are thinking of someone else ... there IS a common thread to all this, isn't completely random and made-up on the spot y'know
Old Sep 14th 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice

I would just like to say that there is good and bad everywhere, in the UK, in NZ and indeed on this forum too!
My part of the world (Wales) didn't do too well under Thatcher but we survived and I look around at the green valleys and think that losing the pits was not all bad. I live in a country that generally has served me well and if we do leave I will always have fond memories... but with my son grown up I now have the urge to travel and try new things. That is why I would like to try NZ.
I think those who are leaving the UK to "escape" may be disappointed because I am sure that NZ is not the land of milk & honey ... and you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone!
The common "thread" to this thread is that we all have a sense of adventure and we all have the guts to do something about it. Hopefully we are the types who if not happy then we do something about it, rather than just moan about it
Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I would just like to say that there is good and bad everywhere, in the UK, in NZ and indeed on this forum too!
My part of the world (Wales) didn't do too well under Thatcher but we survived and I look around at the green valleys and think that losing the pits was not all bad. I live in a country that generally has served me well and if we do leave I will always have fond memories... but with my son grown up I now have the urge to travel and try new things. That is why I would like to try NZ.
I think those who are leaving the UK to "escape" may be disappointed because I am sure that NZ is not the land of milk & honey ... and you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone!
The common "thread" to this thread is that we all have a sense of adventure and we all have the guts to do something about it. Hopefully we are the types who if not happy then we do something about it, rather than just moan about it
Just an average weekend in peaceful old new zealand
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominionpost/4203919a6479.html
Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

loutho will become famous soon enoughloutho will become famous soon enough

Hi, We (myself, husband and three children) are thinking of making the big move and have to agree with Jackie, we do not think that NZ is the land of milk of honey, however the adventure and better QOL that we believe we will have outside of work is strongly tipping the balance. Another 2 to leave the NHS ? We hope so, let's see what EXPO has to offer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.